Does Classic Red Dwarf air in 16:9 or 4:3?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Elwood, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

It's been a while since I watched Red Dwarf on TV, always used my DVD's. Since I finally upgraded my Tv to a modern style, its then I realised Red Dwarf is in 4:3 on all the DVDs, which isnt too much of a worry, but it got me thinking. I doubt that Dave, airs old Red Dwarf in 4:3 what with modern Tv's, so how do they upgrade the image to 16:9 without distortion?
    Did the BBC do this too, or were most tv's back then still 4:3? Like I say, it's been a while since I watched a televised episode. In fact, since Dave add commercial breaks, do they cut content out of old Red Dwarf reruns?

2. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I'm pretty sure they show 4.3 shows in 4.3, and they put them in 40 minute slots so there is nothing chopped out of the show

3. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

Yeah I suppose. However I've been watching the comedy connection special on the Series 8 DVD set, and they've got Red Dwarf clips in 16:9. I wonder why they could do that for the show to Air, but never for the DVD releases. I dont think it was futuristic technology back then.

4. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

if they are putting the shows into 16.9 though, that either means they're stretching the picture or cropping some of it out, so I prefer it being left in 4.3