Doug Naylor made a mistake with the video game

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by One Time, Sep 4, 2017.

1. One Time

One Time Third Technician

In my opinion they made a mistake in making the video game by not thinking it through.

The attraction of Red Dwarf, apart from the comedy, is the richness and depth of the franchise Universe. The immense mysterious size of the ship, the decks, the varied comedic elements. From vending machines to the simplest things like the contents of a locker to toasters, etc.

Also the immensely convoluted timeline, Lister being his own dad, the various different dimensions, etc. It's such a rich universe.

The game should have been a fan service in that direction (like GB:TVG was) and given the fans more in depth information to digest. Possibly in the form of a Monkey Island type point and click. A layered experience that the deeper a player wants to dig (if they are a superfan) the more fan service is unearthed. That was the way to do it.

From a universe as rich as Red Dwarf the actual game they made was simply a game with a play mechanic at a 4 year olds level with literally copy pasted lines of dialogue from the series. It could not have been a more worthlessly uninspired and lazily made product.

Perhaps the problem is that there is no archived repository of the universe at the BBC. Like Star Wars has, to draw information from and prevent contradictions, maintain congruence, etc. Maybe Red Dwarf has to start with that, an internal giant archive/encyclopedia of canon, that future series and potential games could draw from.

FeeBee likes this.
  2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

It wasn't a proper Red Dwarf video game, but I'm not sure it was meant to be. It was a series of arcade promos alongside XI episodes being broadcast. I would love a proper in-depth Red Dwarf game, maybe like a point-and-click except without going down the path of ridiculous-object-collecting.

starbug489 likes this.
  3. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I want a game where I can properly explore the Red Dwarf. Starbug and Blue Midget.

ClareGC, PeeJayHarvey and One Time like this.
  4. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Remember it was 'Red Dwarf XI', so as Deep Space says it was mostly to promote that series.

Obviously it didn't go quite as smoothly as hoped as it was never finished and the episodes that were released were perhaps done so a bit too slowly.

I think making one game, including the best of the series would have been better but the idea was ok.

Yes I'd love a full, in depth Red Dwarf game but I can't see that being made available on mobile for 79p or whatever XI was. Also I'd rather GNP spend their time making more of the TV series.

5. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

They say that the last few episodes are still being made, and released as soon as the XII game is made ...

Dismembers likes this.
  6. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

It was a crappy mobile game. I don't know what people expected. 99.9% of mobile games I have played are shallow and crap. This was no exception. I also hate touch screen controls. I always thought the telltale series of games would fit Red Dwarf well. Sort of a modern point and click in a way

7. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I would buy a Telltale Red Dwarf game even if I didn't know what Red Dwarf was. I already have most of the Telltale games even for the series that I don't watch or already know.

8. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Firstly, just to clarify, the XI game is not dead - there is still the intent to complete and release the remaining episodes for it.

Secondly, while I don't disagree that a large-scale Red Dwarf game would be a fantastic thing to see, it's a vastly different proposition in terms of cost, timeframes etc. to a mobile game. To get a game of that scale produced would require an awful lot of investment, and that would be a difficult thing to persuade a games publisher to front. It's hard enough to get it through the gates with properties that are much more lucrative than Red Dwarf is, even. I'd love to believe it could happen but realistically it would be a very big leap of faith.

As for "a giant repository of canon", well, by its very nature Red Dwarf's "canon" is a pretty wild and loose thing - certainly looser than Star Wars, and looser even than Doctor Who! Perhaps the only consistent internal rule in Red Dwarf is that there are no consistent internal rules...!

9. One Time

One Time Third Technician

Agree with that. Playing loose with the rules is fun but outright contradictions are usually frowned upon by writers. But I think the BBC's very ghetto approach to making the franchise would likely not have entailed an internal archive/encyclopedia. Yet the existence of something similar would make the creation of a full scale RD game much easier. We'll see what the future brings I suppose.

10. BigOleMummy

BigOleMummy Supply Officer

Count me in as one who would dearly love a AAA PC game for Red Dwarf. I'd pay AAA prices for it too! Something along the lines of the Witcher series ....... huge worlds (and/or ship(s) ) to explore , Gelf's to fight or hide from, a quest (Kochanski maybe?) or a 100 :-) of them! Single player could have an A.I. for the others of the team, multi-player for all 4 of the crew. Man...... well, I can dream can't I?

starbug489 and FeeBee like this.