Doug Naylor Talks Red Dwarf Video Game

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Aug 1, 2013.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Doug says one isn't likely at the moment but he talks the possibilities

golden-opportunity-red-dwarf-video-game

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Levels 1 - 6 will be brilliant, from then on it will be awful!

3. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

That is a very funny reply simulant. :lol:

Sounds promising about the discussions with Dave about a budget for the RDXI.

4. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

hope it happens :-D somebody nudge him my way .:-D

5. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I've said before that I believe a point-and-click game would be ideal for Red Dwarf, definitely something Monkey Island-esque. Hopefully with 2D comic-style graphics and some puzzles that require you to switch between each of the four characters for some different abilities (Rimmer can possibly walk through solid objects, Cat can sniff clues out and so on).

Something that is designed so that it's not huge and doesn't cost much would go down very well with the mobile market. Make it so that, if you play it well and still read/listen to everything that's said, it'll take half an hour (like an episode). Release six and there you go - a "series" game. Include a few easter eggs too. I think a few devs have had success with this sort of format (think the Back To The Future, Walking Dead games).

6. Sammy Psycho

I say if GNP are interested in making a Red Dwarf game, get in touch with SrgSmileyUk, heck he's put a lot time and effort into developing his game already. With some official help from GNP he could really bring it onto a complete and fantastic game. :-D

That is my vote anyway, but then again it's not up to me,

7. BadWolf117

BadWolf117 Second Technician

If they were going to make a Red Dwarf Game then give it to TellTales they really know how to make awesome point'n'click and
    funny games just look at Sam and Max...

Either that or make it either a photorealistic Point'm'click like Escape from Horrorland or an RPG

8. Highjump

Highjump Second Technician

A red dwarf game would be a very good idea, i would buy it! I hope it's more RPG though maybe with some shooter aspects but being able to fly starbug and maybe like a sims world concept? where you unlimited options to do with the world or ship? i don't know just throwing it out there. Maybe even myst like but better graphics of coarse or 7th guest anyone played that?

9. Speedboy7777

Speedboy7777 Skutter

I really like the idea of the game starting out and the player is the last human (not necessarily Lister). Perhaps you could create the hologram companion. There are so many possibilities you could do with it.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

11. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Hmmm interesting. Looks like they were trying to go big-scale for an early gen game. Imagine what they could do with today's console technologies. Would be nice to explore large sections of the ship, spanning designs from all 10 series.

12. SgtSmileyUK

yeah imagine. :-D
    has anyone else tried out my Tribute to red dwarf game ?
    Ive only had feedback from Danny and Reznor way way back.
    wondering if its worth gettting back into it or not.
    but yeah Id love to play a proper professional version with all the bits included.
    so is it on the cards? or not.

13. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I would give it a go but I'm not in a position to at the mo'. Soz Sarge :eek:

14. SgtSmileyUK

sorry to hear that strats, I pray that your fortunes favour thee vastly.

15. Sammy Psycho

EH! what about me I praised ya game many times.

16. SgtSmileyUK

oh yeah sorry- did you actually download and play it m8?
    (and one or two others also unnamed )
    I thought everyone lost interest and abandoned progress more than 7 months ago.
    didnt seem to be worth putting in another 3 years for nothing.

as far as making apps - Im gonna give this a miss-
    on account of - (after trying out a few app-makers) they
    require substantial funding to upload your app for the world.
    over 900$ per year - I think it would be fairer if they just took
    a small cut on apps you wished to sell but could also allow free apps.
    shame really - I had a few good things to cobble together but hey ho..

I did and do appreciate all the positive comments that drove the projects forward
    but feel like quitting computers finally, seeing as we are all doomed, and start living
    while we can and enjoying whatever is left to enjoy.
    I didnt realise the world was this crazy.

17. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

[​IMG]

18. Sammy Psycho

Yeah Sgt. I downloaded it and played for a while but my PC wasn't set up for games. I gave up playing games seriously about 10 years ago after spending days and weeks playing everquest till like 5am and my pc is more for music recording these days which requires a different spec PC. You know when it's time to give something up and that's when it's in your dreams all the time.

I don't think the world is crazy, it's just the people in it that are crazy.

19. SgtSmileyUK

lol yeah weirdly enough if I think about it I havent played much games since around 4 years ago, concentrating on programming instead, and obviously testing purposes.
    Although I probably still hunt for something that has lasting longetivity or playability that would keep stimulation going.

since getting the tablet a couple of weeks ago I have been downloading all sorts and trying them out 99.9% being uninstalled more or less after a brief tryout.
    I havent found anything I enjoy playing for long, except for pokerking and scrabble (and a handy remote control whoopee do- the whole value of the tablet in my case comes from only 3 programmes. ??, ok yeah I could use it for social media,if I was that way inclined but Im not, I could use it to listen to music instead of the stereo, but I cant hear it so I dont, I could use it for watching films, but, netflix isnt supported(and seems( on short experience) to be only a limited number of old films that I could buy cheaper on dvd at our local one=stop shop with the subtitles) and so far I have rented out a few films via another service but they didnt include subtitles so I cant watch them, so I cant use it for films, yet?
    I cant use it to make apps as the current app creation kits / uploading system is geared towards making money for them (too much Im priced right out) so I cant make apps for the future.
    I cant spend another few years learning the raw coding for another OS ( I have self taught so many different programming codings and technology rushes ahead of me and makes something new so that by the time Im ready its too late. If I started learning app coding now, give it two three years down the line, something else will take over!
    I did think the amount of work I put into the Red Dwarf game was going to finally make something of a splash (a mere ripple) but then I always dreamed , I know I can make better android games than any of the current crop (crap) out there but I dont know whether to continue wasting any more of my life and accept defeat and go stack some shelves in a supermarket.
    actually I might just get some canvasses and do some paintings instead, or paint the outside of my house in some mural art work , I just enjoying creating something out of nothing (almost) , and painting/art is a million times easier than creating whole programmes,coding,modelling,artwork,designing, conceptioning, promoting all by myself. Its a very lonely life as an indie developer.

I spent a long while on tombraider (few months), and enjoyed hidden and dangerous and hidden and dangerous 2 for a good tennish years, and battlefield 1942 for another 3 or 4 years. but aside from them I have spent most of my time modding,programming myself.
    so I get how you used to dream of everscape strategies. and how you form comradeships and bonds in wargames.
    the social side of gaming is the most important thing to my programmings (aside from a few single player games I have mainly focused on massively multiplayer ideas from way way back.as more often than not many people dont actually get to go out and meet people in an unsafe environment for a multitude of reasons or lack of time. so some good friendships develeoped over the years (only waned due to me taking myself out of that side of gaming and into programming. I love having fun conversing with many players all over the globe (my times meant I usually played with the dutch and americans and a few crazy canucks (canadians- but they all turned out to be really funny people, since I could 'hear' conversations in game (when people type in messaages ) and a lot of them moved onto mics and headphones so another boohoo for us deaf people. ( for future programmers to note, if you include mic headphone communication could u also implement n option to have voice translated to text so when players do use mics , us deafies can 'hear' the others , as we have enough things that already isolate us from the outside world.
    O I dunno where to go next.....

20. SgtSmileyUK

well, oddly enough I decided to give the old netflix another go on the samsung galaxy tab 3 - just watched a movie on it WITH subtitles, so I am quite the happy bunny for now.
    :-D
    I do like the crisp clearness of the screen, man.
    I do love the HD graphics.
    I love the sharpness to view and show off my nature shots to people.
    I do love how I can store all my things on it,music(for if and when I get my ears back?),photos,
    screenshots and videos of my creations, and my art to rebuild my portfolio and hopefully impress
    someone enough to allow me to unleash art upon their walls. gotta do some more pics, may redo the front door
    with a dr who theme half and half akin to how it is currently.
    I gotta make more time for my art lol.
    Ive also enjoyed one or two other apps (but not enough to purchase the full games.
    I do enjoy the torchlight uses.
    next time round though I will opt for a larger screen!
    and less faffing about because the buttons are placed in positions that you cant
    help accidently shutting the programme off.
    I know what to look out for next time!
    hopefully Ill find something app building-wise that will allow me to simply try it out on my tablet without having to go through
    signing up and paying.
    cant moan , I just love the dam thing!