DVD Details - May contain some items of spoilers

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Stephen, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

2. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

How long before someone posts that it doesn't fit in with the other DVD covers?

It doesn't fit in with the other DVD covers. :evil:

3. CaptnDan

CaptnDan Third Technician

That side doesn't fit with the original covers. I wonder if one the extra surprises referred to in the article might be that it's a reversible cover..

4. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

According to a tweet posted a while back, it'll have two sides, one will, in fact, match the others.

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think it looks great. I love the colour scheme. The only thing that bothers me is the apparent lack of extras compared to the earlier releases. But at least we're getting a two hour documentary and nearly 28 minutes of deleted scenes.

Has it been confirmed or denied yet that we're getting a Doug Naylor commentary over the episodes?

6. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I said it before and I'll say it again, I detest the photoshop work. It looks amateur and contrast is up WAY too high and thus making look about a decade older then they actually do. Put down your pitchforks but I only has the "Just the Shows" boxsets (otherwise I'd have never gotten series VII) so even though the extras seem a bit lighter then usual it's still going to be a step up for me.

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I agree, the crew not only look ancient on this photo but it also has that irritating habit of making the cast's differing ethnic makeup all blur into one vague skin tone.

Also, why is Red Dwarf, pink?

Overall a rather unimpressive effort given what has come before it. It looks like something a fan could have knocked up on photoshop from the already released material.

8. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Okay, I'm confused. Why would a commentary for the deleted scenes be included, but not a commentary for stuff that was? Seems a slightly odd way to prioritise to me..*shrugs*.

Then again, didn't Doug confirm on twitter that he was recording an episode 3 commentary with Naylor Jr? Or did I dream that? But if that's true then why on earth would such a strong selling point not be advertised on the dvd cover? Makes no sense at all.

I'm gonna' be deeply disappointed if we get no cast commentary too. I mean, don't get me wrong, that potential disappointment is built upon being spoilt in the past by how high the standards have been set by the previous DVD releases. But even so, I shall sulk like a spoilt child if I don't get my commentaries, dag nam it!..Seriously though, I will be a bit gutted to say the least. I'm hoping it has animated menu's, sfx footage, collectors booklet and much more too

On the plus side however I'm really looking forward to the 2 hour documentary. It's nice to see that there will be some rehearsal footage included too.

I'm not sure how I feel about the cover image though at this point to be honest. Like others I've never been overly keen on that poster image. But I'm sure I'll get used to it. I'm looking forward to seeing the reverse side though, if indeed there is to be one.

Over all, while I'm looking forward to the docu, which I expect to be awesome, I can't help but feel this DVD has been rushed out in time for xmas, when perhaps it may have been wiser to take a little more time and make sure they could get the likes of cast commentaries done and dusted before the release.

9. DeanField2686

DeanField2686 Third Technician

i do like the pic of the blue midget tho, looks like it has been give a clean up and added detail to. not to bothered if it don't fit in with the old DVD's, the show has been given a new lease of life so why not have all spanking new art work to start the next lot of future shows. (hopes :-))

10. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

No cast commentary track = no purchase.
    & what horrible artwork.
    :x

11. Slainmonkey

They did it just for you simmy

12. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Its not like the SHOWS, creator commentary, Documentary, and Deleted scenes are worth anything. Right, Simmy?

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Don't derail the thread with yet more simulant37 baiting.

14. Slainmonkey

Overreaction aside though I can kinda understand his annoyance though given just how much other releases have had. But it's still more then nearly any other show.

15. simulant37

No its not. Obviously. Hence me saying "No cast commentary = no purchase."

16. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

The thing about cast commentary that's important to remember is that, while its lovely to have commentary as opposed to none, it isn't always necessarily that interesting or insightful if its recorded mere weeks after the episode was pieced together and filmed in the first place.

On the classic DVD's it was fascinating and interesting to hear people talk about a show they had filmed over a decade earlier, remembering stories and seeing which parts they liked or were surprised by. It was the cast in the present day judging something they did quite a long time ago.

By the time we got to series 8 all the cast seemed to have to say was "Ham Salad" and with the exception of Norman Lovett, were disappointingly partisan and uncritical of the show to the extent that the legendary comment "Ooh Pete. Good episode this!" is uttered at one point with absolute sincerity!

I would like to hear the cast do a commentary on X at some point but I'm not sure doing it right now would produce the best results. Some people might look at a re-release with such commentary down the line as cynical or an excuse to fleece the fans but in reality, where artistic merit is concerned I think its always better to judge one's work after putting some distance between it and oneself.

17. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

You... I... just....

I'm at a loss for words.

I'll just stop right here...

18. simulant37

it would be an excuse to fleece the fans. :x
    Most dvd commentaries are recorded quite quickly now.

19. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Yes, why don't we bitch on and on and on and never stop?

20. simulant37

Just responding to a comment. Why does it concern you? :?