DVD Details - May contain some items of spoilers

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Stephen, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

The perpetual pessimist, why not wait till the series has aired and then decide....or better yet wait for the DVD reviews because it sounds that what is on there is still pretty good stuff. You are also not considering the possibility that it just doesn't list all the extras, while it's probably not the case it seems to happen a fair but lately.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Yes, just responding to a comment that has already acknowledged your viewpoint, simply to restate it as the only possible truth. I forgot that in your world, only one view can ever be correct and people only ever do things for negative, evil, self-serving reasons. I suppose in Universe 37 The whole of Red Dwarf X is probably just a way for Doug Naylor to fiddle his taxes.

It must be really depressing to view things through such a negative light all of the time.

You say you won't buy a DVD without the commentaries, which obviously don't exist due to reasons of logistics and cast availability...maybe even budget since these things aren't done for free on anybody's spare time (unlike Back to Earth in which people gave their own time and money only for you to hate on it for being "lazy"!).

However should all of those factors come together and the stars align to allow a commentary for a special edition DVD to be produced in the future, you say that this is "an excuse to fleece the fans", even though the only reason to do it in the first place would be to please fans like yourself who had a big strop about the original DVD and wanted the option of a DVD with more content.

Do you see now how your posts here characterize you and cause people to see you as negative beyond reason? It's like any little thing that goes wrong is an excuse for you to hate on the product.

Just because a DVD with an incredibly fast production time isn't as fantastic sounding as the previous ones (which are easily some of the best DVD's ever content-wise) it suddenly becomes a "no sale" to you because you won't get to hear Danny call Craig a ham salad and other insightful witticisms!

Never mind the fact that it contains six brand new episodes of Red Dwarf and a documentary that's almost as long as all of them combined which is sure to contain all the insight one could ever need into the new series.

Beyond hilarious.

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Or they could delay the release of the dvd until the commentaries are done. It does seem rather rushed to get the dvd out a few weeks after the show has aired. & I cannot see any reason (other than the xmas market) for doing it. I'm sure the show will get reruns on Dave for fans. Maybe they could release the commentaries later as a free download for fans with a special code on the dvd.

PS - as you raised it, yes Back to Earth is "lazy". :roll:

4. Slainmonkey

Maybe it's not so much that it was rushed but rather an issue of money. If you recall that Red Dwarf X ran over budget in the production (particularly the model shots) and it seems like they almost weren't going to be able to budget Howard Goodall for the music....maybe for those reasons they needed to be more economical with the extras. I mean you need to realize that Red Dwarf isn't a high budget show and has a limit to how much it can throw around.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Um... we don't know that the new DVD won't get a cast commentary do we? Sure, it wasn't mentioned in the article, but there was a bit right at the end where the writer clearly states:

I suspect he wasn't referring to the commentaries, but we don't know that for sure. And not listing it on the cover doesn't mean they won't be there. Commentaries often aren't, although they have been on the previous Red Dwarf DVDs.

Considering how quickly the DVD is coming out, and the fact the lads seem to be pretty busy, I imagine there's a good chance we won't get cast commentaries (which while I would be disappointed, I can live with) but...

...lets just wait and see eh?

[EDIT]
    Oh. Okay. I hadn't gotten around to that thread when I read the above. Even so, the features available look excellent, and it will be a sure purchase by me.
    [/EDIT]

6. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Because we have to read it.
    It wouldn't be so bad, except you respond like this to everything.
    You're worse than the Silent Hill fanbase. Never ever ever happy.

7. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

To be honest, I actually don't find the cast commentaries all that enlightening. They're okay. I laugh at some points. But I spend most of the time wishing they would talk about the show. More memories from the recording and bits of trivia. I listened to them all for the Scuttercast research, and I don't think I got all that much interesting stuff from them. Although I do appreciate the banter, I can live without it.

Now, the BtE commentary from Doug was fantastic. I can't wait to hear the deleted scenes commentary and watch the documentary.

I agree that the artwork is a bit smeg though.

8. simulant37

But people don't have to reply. They can simply ignore it.
    & I don't "respond like this to everything."
    I have no idea what you mean by Silent Hill fanbase.

Was the BtE commentary Doug repeating over & over "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry..."

9. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

No. If that's what you're looking for, I would give it a miss.

10. simulant37

OK. Thanks for that info.

11. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

So, it's been confirmed that there will be no Cast or directors commentary? ...:-(

[​IMG]

Genuinely disappointed about this. I've really enjoyed all of the cast commentaries from series 1 to BTE, and Doug's limited commentaries have all been great too, albeit for very different reasons. Anyway, Sulk mode is now fully engaged!

For me personally, the main reasons for buying the DVD's have always been the documentaries, commentaries and deleted scenes (the first two being of equal importance to me). But the fact that two of those things are included the DVD is still more than worthy of my purchase. If non of the above were included however, then I probably wouldn't bother buying it (although I may have legally downloaded the ep's instead, purely for reasons of support - not for the shows themselves, I can record them from the TV :P ).

Edit: I noticed that someone on a G&T thread suggested something about it being a shame that Andrew wasn't involved in the DVD this time around. Is that so? I had thought (perhaps wrongly) that he was involved with this one, but likely wont be involved in any subsequent DVD's.

12. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

First i dunno about the cover. like someone said it looks like a fan could have knocked it up from the promotional material. but on the other hand if it kept the sane style as series I-VIII then back to earth would break up the flow anyway unless you placed it after all the series.

Also don't get why anyone would like a cast commentary so much more than a 2 hour making of documentary.. but each to his own.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The lack of a cast commentary doesn't bother me so much. Whenever I have another listen to the old ones, they just tend to annoy me. They're just a lot of noise with little substance. The absence of a Doug Naylor commentary though is a disappointment.

14. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Who said we aren't getting a commentary by Doug?

Doug has confirmed no cast commentary but I don't think anybody has said we aren't getting a commentary by him.

15. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I am soooo getting this for Christmas. Looking forward to seeing the documentary. As has been said elsewhere, a 2-hour documentary for a 3-hour series? Excellent. And yes, I loved the one from Back To Earth too.

Only problem is, I may be getting a blu-ray player, so do I get it on DVD (so it won't have the poncy blue top bit and fit in better with my existing DVDs, plus I can lend it to others) or blu-ray, to show off the full power of the blu-ray player plus the new TV we're probably getting? Does anyone know if the blu-ray also comes with a DVD copy (which I think a few blu-rays do)?

As an aside, I do love the image for the front cover. Every time I go through Leeds station (twice a day) I look up and see that on the billboards above the ticket gates.

16. simulant37

OK. So I'll just keep the episodes I record from Dave rather than pay for dvd.

17. Slainmonkey

Why don't you just wait for the DVD reviews and then decide if it's worth your money?

18. simulant37

As I said earlier. No commentary = no purchase.

19. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

@djmcbell Blu ray usually has much better sound. If you have a good system you can hear a difference. That is one of the main reasons I go Blu even though I don't have an HD TV. :-)

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You won't buy the DVD just because it lacks a cast commentary?