DVD Details - May contain some items of spoilers

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Stephen, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I can't understand how any big Red Dwarf fan could be undecided about whether or not to purchase the DVD. To me, a new Red Dwarf DVD is about as wonderful as a new episode.

2. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Because being a big Red Dwarf fan doesn`t necessarily make you a big fan of every series. If I enjoy the rest of the series then I may well buy the DVD. If I don`t then I won`t. I have no desire to ever watch the Fathers and Suns episode again now but hopefully that was just a blip.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Did you not like Trojan either?

4. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I thought Trojan was certainly one of the best eps since Series 6 and it gave me hope for the rest of the series. I was genuinely feeling positive about Fathers and Suns but really, really disliked it.

I will see how the rest of the episodes turn out...

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Fathers and Suns does appear to be polarising opinion like no episode in Red Dwarf's history.

Incidentally, I absolutely loved it.

6. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Me too :-)

The thing with the F&S thread is that, for the most part, the debates stopped having anything whatsoever to do with the episode (including Taiwan Tony) long ago. I'm only pointing this out because I don't want this to become some fan-based myth in the future, in that there were massive ongoing debates specifically about the Taiwan Tony character, as that's not quite true, even though the conversation began at that discussion point, and evolved (or devolved if you will) from there.

I suppose it's possible the same could happen after Lemons, in that completely unrelated atheist/religious debates could spark up. I certainly wont be getting involved in any of that smeg if it happens though.

Anyway, regarding the DVD, after each episode has been broadcast the advert for the DVD describes it as "The Collectors Edition with loads of extras". I'm assuming this is just typical consumerism exaggeration (suggestive and/or misleading wording). Some one actually mentioned over at G&T that technically all DVD's are collectors editions as collectors tend to want to collect everything :lol: ....it's a fair point though, I guess.

However, I was wondering if "Collectors Edition" was merely in relation to the reversible cover. As I'm not expecting any more extras...although, Seb's initial news article did mention that there are "one or two pleasant surprises about the set still to be revealed". One of those things may be the reversible cover. But what else could he have been referring to I wonder.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Neither will I. If there's one thing I avoid on this forum, it's discussing religion.

8. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

Even the Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster?

9. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

10. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

I can't see the harm personally, because when you discuss something like "Lemons" it's clear you're talking about religion as it exists and is portrayed in a fictional universe, that is totally separate from our own. As long as we don't go the extra mile and claim that Doug's trying to push a specific religious angle in the real world (which he isn't) there's no actual risk.

Of course, that doesn't stop people from occasionally jumping in and assuming people are making actual jabs at their own religious beliefs, which can and does happen.

Discussing "Jesus of Caesarea" in relation to the episode would probably be safe, discussing whether "Jesus" and "Judas" really were (or were not) brothers is probably much more risky as it would involve people debating various biblical texts and such.

What makes your spam-posts rather funny is the fact your links don't even work :lol:

Enjoy your stay, it won't be a long one I'm guessing.

11. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

NEVER click the links from spambots, lest your twitter feed suddenly start doling out spam tweets, your facebook be hacked into and your sexuality changed, your bank account hazed and your forum posts end up exactly like the spambot you clicked on!

Anyway I've avoided this thread while the new series was on because of the spoiler alert but now I'm here I'm joining everyone else in the Chorus of No Commentary Disappointment.

What next, a Red Dwarf DVD without Smeg Ups? Wait...smeg ups aren't listed...SAY IT ISN'T SO PLEASE!!!

12. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

LOL ignore him, he's a joke account making negative/troll posts for the sake of it :P

I applaud him for his attempt to entertain us, and he is definitely a nice guy behind the negative posts, but he doesn't get when to stop, despite being asked nicely. Just ignore and return to the conversation lol and don't forget to giggle at his posts.

13. thubay

thubay Third Technician

Reference :
    http://adf.ly/2038788/http://www.passingseason.com

14. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I won't pretend I'm not disappointed to hear that the DVD won't have episode commentaries. :-( They're one of the things I love most about my Dwarf DVD's. I'm wondering if they might re-release the DVD in a few months time with commentaries added...

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

I liked them as well, but I think what was nice about the older series' commentaries was that it'd been a long time since they recorded them and seen them that it was lovely to listen to them talk about their memories and opinions of the episodes as a whole. I think the documentary on this DVD will fill that void.

At least there is some commentary from Doug on the deleted scenes though! That should be interesting.

16. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I totally agree with you about that. :-) I recall Craig Charles saying in one of the older series' commentaries that some of the episodes he had never watched after they were originally made. I believe that was also true for some of the other cast members too, And that reminiscing aspect was one of the things that made the older commentaries so delightful to listen to.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the documentary! xD I wish I could shake off the feeling though that DVD will see a re-release with commentaries... You are right though that a large part of the previous commentaries' charm was the fact they were done so long after the originally made those episodes. They'd still be nice to have for Series X obviously, but definitely not as essential as the early series' commentaries.

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Play.com just sent me an email informing me that my Red Dwarf X DVD has been posted. I can't wait to watch the documentary and deleted scenes. I find new Red Dwarf DVDs about as exciting as the appearance of a new episode.

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  18. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I can't wait for the Blu-Ray, though I'll be in London and then brighton with la wifey Mexicana and so will only be able to watch the DVD as the laptop doesn't have a BluRay drive :-(

19. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Reading this has prompted me to order mine from them. :P

20. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I can't wait until Christmas, when I (most likely) get this!

The documentary is something I will HAVE to watch as soon as I get the chance, along with the deleted scenes (30 minutes worth of deleted scenes - it's like an entirely new episode, but with no continuity!). Smeg-ups are a welcome addition too.

I also must get round to watching the commentaries from earlier series - I've never watched one. I've seen all the "making of's", which on later DVDs were split into episodes. Maybe I'll start going through them, which will probably take me a looong time.