DVD Details - May contain some items of spoilers

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Stephen, Sep 28, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

So pretty much exactly like a new episode then...:P

I'm kidding.

Got an email to say my DVD has been dispatched though. Looks like all of Play.com's orders are going out nice and early.

2. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Ba-dum-tish!

3. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Remember, they post from off-shore and delivery takes longer with them, which is probably why they are sending them out now so they will be delivered on Monday morning. Don't be ordering from them thinking that you're going to get it tomorrow or Friday morning before everyone else!

4. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Actually there have been quite a few occasion when I've received pre-ordered DVD's from Play.com on the Saturday before the official Monday release date. So it's quite possible (but not definite) this could happen with the series X DVD...not for me however as I forgot to pre-order the darn thing (I thought I had but it's still waiting in my basket) D'oh! And I wont be able to order it until Saturday now. But yeah, it's possible that some people will receive it early.

5. no_name

no_name Third Technician

As far as my experience goes, and I pre-order a few titles a month from Play, 9/10 times a pre-order will arrive the Saturday before release. The other 1 time is when it arrives the Friday before release.

6. bedfordfalls

As others have said above, my experience with Play.com is that their orders are always sent out to ensure the item arrives at least a day in advance. Even when living outside of the UK I've found this to be the case.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

As far as I can remember, I've always received Red Dwarf DVDs earlier than the official release date whenever I've purchased them from Play.com.

8. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Mine have been pre-ordered through Amazon, so i expect them two weeks after everyone else :-(

9. shireknight

shireknight Third Technician

Doh! just read the article and the very first thing I notice is that there is no mention of a cast commentary, one of the staples of all the previous releases was a cast commentary so how can the producers of this release not have known that:?: if 2Entertain tried to release a classic Doctor Who DVD without a commentary there would be such an outrage on the fan forums that they would have to withdraw it and record one specially :roll:

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

We really needed another random mention of Doctor Who on this forum, didn't we?

Yes, it's a shame there's no cast commentary, but the absence of a Doug Naylor commentary (apart from over deleted scenes as far as I know) is much more disappointing to me.

11. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

pretty sure there's a doug com, no? I swear ive read it here...

is there any material the dvd has that the bluray doesn't or viceversa?

edit - na, yeah reread everything here... sucks theres no commentary but the dvd and blue ray will both rock :-D

12. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I think the only difference is that the DVD has a reversible cover that looks more like the series 1-8 DVDs.

Anyone know if the blu-ray is still two disks or only one, as more can fit on a blu-ray?

13. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

As far as I'm aware there are two discs
    Yes they can fit more on a blu ray but seeing as the Video files are that much larger due to the higher quality image.

Have to agree that the lack of commentaries is a great shame. They were some of the best extra features and certainly the best commentaries on ANY dvds

14. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

I've just had notification that my Blueray DVD has been dispatched, which mean's i'll get it monday. Hey-ho, but I can't wait!

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I just got home to find my Red Dwarf X DVD waiting for me. About to watch it after I've made a coffee.

16. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

What does it look like with the others? I want the Blu-Ray version but does it look crap with the others in a stupid blue plastic box or does it have a sleeve?

Also - what's the quality like?

Shame the silver lettering has gone too :/

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

I'm slightly jealous... but I wouldn't have been able to sit down and watch it properly until Monday anyway, even if I did have it. Ah well.

You'll have to share your not-too-spoilery opinions with us. :P

18. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

No Fair...the Blu ray doesn't have the reversible cover :-(

19. bedfordfalls

Mine too! :-) Going to watch it tonight. :P

20. bedfordfalls

Having just watched the deleted scenes I'd say they were all more than justified as cuts - except one.

Had the data doctor been included in Trojan as originally planned I'd say that Kerry Shales would by now be holding the dubious honour of playing the two worst characters in Red Dwarf history! In fact the Data Doctor probably would have placed higher than Taiwan Tony! They are mostly cartoonish, OTT scenes that are very series 8 in style.

Listening to Doug's comments however he seems to love Kerry Shales...I think it's safe to say we've found this season's Blue Midget Dance sequence in the eyes of fans and Doug!

All that aside, the one deleted scene I am sorry to see go was the extended conversation between Rimmer and Lister in Fathers and Suns. this episode really could have benefited from its inclusion (perhaps at the expense of the toilet paper subplot and its icky resolution. It's some really well written dialogue that really shows the brotherish bond that Rimmer and Lister have developed as well as containing a funny and original twist on the 'Rachel' gags.

It seems Doug was talked into chopping this by his son....Dammit Doug! First The Grim Reaper now this...stop listening to your son! :lol: