DVD Rarity

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by GARNER2015, Aug 16, 2015.

1. GARNER2015

GARNER2015 Third Technician

After looking at the recent article concerning the price of Red Dwarf DVDs (http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2015/07/31/disc-jockeys/), it came to my attention that "The Bodysnatcher Collection" is almost £50.

What I would like to discuss is if maybe it's at a high price to increase perceived value or if copies really are rare.

I also wonder if any other DVDs are rare, for example, the Red Dwarf V DVD with Starbug or the Red Dwarf VIII DVD with skutter.

I haven't actually seen many copies around. I would also like to know how many of you have these copies and if you have treated them well over the years unlike myself.

2. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I have them all, Don't remember offhand how much I paid for them but I don't believe they were that much. I think, media-wise, the most expensive thing I bought was the Roleplaying games' Series Sourcebook... apparently most of them went up in a fire, and I ended up having to pay $80 for it.

As for how well they're treated.. well, they're all opened up and displayed, but in good condition.

Edit: Incidentally, you can get used ones on eBay for a lot cheaper. There's one up now: eBay

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The Bodysnatcher Collection is quite scarce, because the remaining copies of it were destroyed in the Sony warehouse fire of 2011, and unlike other releases, it hasn't since had another printing run. It was already quite an expensive set at launch (I think the RRP was £30-40?) so unsurprisingly, yeah, you're unlikely to find a copy for less than £50 or so.

The two DVD sets that came with toys are also lower production runs than the non-toy equivalents: so again, because they're more scarce, you'll see the prices are higher.

Those are about the only DVDs that should really be selling at anything higher than their original RRPs. Basically everything else should be in pretty reasonably healthy supply! The All the Shows anniversary set also isn't available new anywhere, but second-hand copies do seem to be pretty plentiful, so I wouldn't pay more than about £30 for that.

4. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I THOUGHT they had a run-in with a fire as well, but I wasn't sure. I just remembered talking with the guy who wrote the RPG books, who said the Sourcebook suffered a similar fate.

5. GARNER2015

GARNER2015 Third Technician

I think it's a huge shame that the bodysnatcher collection was mostly destroyed and that they never had another printing run. Although some fans consider the re-masterings to be inadequate, the DVDs are presented very well and the extras are phenomenal.

6. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

I would say it is also one of the best DVD's of the whole lot - Beat the Geek being the worst by around seven million miles.

7. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

I can agree that the Bodysnatcher Collection is an excellent source for finding out more about the first 3 series.

8. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

I had a poke around for it today as interested in picking this up and yeah, it's around the £50 mark.

Interestingly there seems to be a boat load on eBay ready to ship if you want it on region 4 from Australia.

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I think it is great. Makes mine more valuable! 8)

10. menacexp

menacexp Second Technician

What about the steelbook of series X? What's the rarity value of that to be considered? I'm in Canada and those steelbooks were/are damn near impossible to find. I managed to nab one on eBay a few years ago(still sealed). I have not seen one on eBay or anywhere else since (uk, us, or ca eBay...I watch all three)

11. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

Just out of curiosity I had a look at the series 10 DVD price ( I have the steel book but not the standard DVD) it's only £2.59 on Amazon at the moment

12. bentbob

bentbob Skutter

I just got a R4 of The Bodysnatcher Collection for £23 from Australia on e-bay. I believe he has three left.

13. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I think just 2000 were made.

14. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I have the Bodysnatchers dvd. Paid £60 for it. Currently on Amazon for between £30 and £60.

15. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Bodysnatchers is easy to get in Australia (R4). I forget how much I purchased Bodysnatchers for, think it was AU$28 during a sale.

ABC - is the offical retailer for Red Dwarf and most BBC shows.
    JB-HI-FI - Were I buy almost all my DVDs. They have DVD sales on a regular basis.