Early intro sequence

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by besbvesdy, Oct 16, 2012.

1. besbvesdy

besbvesdy Third Technician

With Dave painting the ship. Is the gag that he's painting it the wrong colour? That the letters should be white on red, not red on a little sea of mistaken white?

2. bossk_

bossk_ Skutter

Who cares?? Pork away!:x

;-)

Seriously I don't get the question but I reckon the answer is no.

3. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

So far as I'm aware, the only "gag" is that he's painting the ship. Already gives you a bit of a taste of the sort of guy he is, if he gets the unenviable job of painting the ship whilst it moves through space.

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It's a "punishment detail" so I suspect that its existence as an essentially self defeating, rather useless exercise is half of the point. Aesthetically though I would think that the white patch is designed to highlight the name and make it stand out more than just painting "Red Dwarf" on a red background would.

5. besbvesdy

of course, but the white area appears unfinished, as if it's a mistake...this is what raises the question for me.

6. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

It's basically a name badge. The white makes it stand out from the red, making it easier to find the name, and the red on white makes the name itself stand out clear.

7. bedfordfalls

Depends which ship. If you look at the original (and current version) then its essentially an ugly monstrosity all over.

[​IMG]

Wheras the Series 8 "pencil" based on the specs "before the JMC made all the cutbacks" is a more sleek vessel altogether complete with more symetrical nameplate:

[​IMG]

8. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Which just goes to show that Lister never did a good job, unlike those nanobots ;-)

9. besbvesdy

sure. i dig the graphical choices that have been made. but it almost looks like they started to cover the whole ship in white before they realised 'oh, it's called 'red dwarf', it should be red' so perhaps they'll cover it all over in red and have the name in white. poor dave, who doesn't know of this plan, is dilligently refreshing the name which will soon be painted over.

that's what i thought might have been the joke. there doesn't have to be one.

10. bedfordfalls

I think the idea is that Red Dwarf was constructed in space by humans and that's why it looks like the bolted together hunk of junk it is. It's hard to get perspective on a sign that big so it's unlikely it would ever have been perfect. Everything about the craft is irregular.

11. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Hate that series 8 one.

There is no need for a "sleek vessel" in space.:roll:

12. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I think its like that because its just a mining ship - low budget corpy thing. Like a McDonalds doesnt have lifts, real cutlery or waitors, its cheap as possible as its not made for luxury.

13. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Aesthetics?

14. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Never stopped Star Trek, eh?

Interestingly, Rob and Doug never intended for the ship to be red, but rather grey. It was only when they were shown the model that they learnt that the model maker had gone and painted it red anyway to better reflect its name.