Eeep!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by supercat, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I think Bluey makes a good point in stating that Red Dwarf no longer needs Holly. In fact i would personally suggest that that is more a fact than a personal opinion,...in my personal opinion at least ;-)

However, needing, and the ability to fit in succesfully are potentially two very different things. But the latter very much depends on Dougs writing, and whether he is still 'feeling' the Holly character personally or not. If not, and rather he attemps to unaturally wedge the character back in just for sake of old traditions and pleasing us fans, then it is at risk of stagnantation and hense a potentially induced weekness for the show.

I definately think Holly could still work well, and although i realise that what i'm about to say is seemingly an unpopular opinion, i personally enjoyed Holly's part in series 8 and feel that it worked fairly well over all. Although i admit some of the Holly gags are not up to earlier standards, which is certainly something to bare in mind. But i don't think the character felt out of place really, nor did it (to me at least) feel overly forced either.

I'd say it's all in the writing as to how succesful or non succesful Holly can potentially be in modern day Red Dwarf.

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Do we know for certain there won't be any more Holly? If we're basing this purely on the fact we didn't see Hattie in the photo with the guys, well... that's just for the read-through of the first two strips. She could be back later. Maybe the storyline in ealier episodes are based on them coping without Holly if that makes sense.

3. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

I don't think its a case of Red Dwarf "needing" Holly, more that I think she's funny and wish I could see her again.

I don't tend to think of strength of plot lines or position in the narrative, more like a schoolchild looking forward to the return of their favourite cartoon character.

Holly made me smile, I regret that she's once again been edited out of Red Dwarf because the writers aren't creative enough to have her in.

Even in series 5, as the oft lamented "we don't know what to do with Holly" rule reached its zenith, she got the whole "Rude Alert" stuff, which I thought was pretty hilarious, she was crucial to the destruction of the despair squid, got to roll her eyes
    at Rimmer not getting in the escape pod (Hattie was always good at the reaction shots...) Had three personalities in Demons and Angels
    amongst many other things.

I'm not saying she should be crucial to every episode but a few lines here and there would be nice.
    A bit like the Fish in American Dad, similarly limited, mobility wise, but has some good lines and occasional eps.

I miss Holly, dammit!

4. supercat

supercat Console Officer

If they're back on the big red floaty thing then I think they do need Holly... or a decent explanation as to why the ship is suddenly without its computer. No one actually physically flies the thing... that was all down to Holly really, once the rest of the crew were dead anyway!

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Didn't we already get an explanation for that in Back To Earth?

6. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Yes, and it was smelly!

7. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Yes. I said a decent explanation.

[edit]

Actually... am I the only person expecting the story to go back to before BTE? Is that a presumption on my part or did I actually read that somewhere?

8. Paul Taylor

I've not heard that said, although a few have suggested it as a preference. In a way, Back To Earth kind of ignored series VIII, and perhaps even series VII and VI. It would easily be possible to ignore three whole series, and stick Back To Earth on the end of the last episode of series V, which was 'Back to Reality'.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

What about rimmers hard light drive, and kochanski bein involved at all.

Makes it harder to ignore

10. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Not really, that can all be explained away by the concept that despite being an alternate continuity (a term always to use lightly with Dwarf) following from Back to Reality, it is not set immediately afterwards but a couple of decades (to account for a cast that are a couple of decades older), so the obtainance of Rimmer's hard-light drive from Legion could still have happened during the interim period, as could the events surrounding Kochanski.

Personally though, I've always assumed events would follow on after Back to Earth, as that has been declared for all intents and purposes the official series nine and thus Red Dwarf X being the new series, and not IX. This, with Back to Earth having followed (somehow) the end of Series VIII. I like to think of things flowing in order.

11. Paul Taylor

Smart-bottom! But, apart from those minor points, though...

12. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

On set read through picture posted by @RedDwarfHQ

[​IMG]

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

these little teasers are great :-D

really help build the excitement

14. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

very easily impressed arent you dear talkie

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Yes harry now go back to watching your snooker ;-)

16. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

And what is wrong with watching snooker?

17. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

yes, what is wrong with watching snooker?

18. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

Chris' face!!!!! Hooray for new Red Dwarf :-D

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Well in terms of excitement its about the same as being excited by a small rehearsal picture.

My point made :-)

Sorry harry kid

20. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Don't see the link. But then that picture doesn't interest me, so I guess I find it difficult to compare against the excitement and tension of a gripping frame of snooker.