end theme song - extra verses

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by telegramsam, Mar 19, 2009.

1. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

So I was watching the little mini-documentary dealie on the extras disc for series 6 and apparently the end theme originally had several more verses, does anybody know if this was ever recorded in its entirety anywhere?

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Mini? Mini?! That sucker's half an hour long! :-)

No, those lines were never recorded - as you'll see from the doc, verses were combined as it was re-written. But we handily put the words on screen so you could read them. Howard's performance in the doc is the only one there is.

An extra section was written for the cheap, sci-fi album re-recoded version of the RD theme - but not by Howard or anyone at GNP, and as such that's a wholly unofficial (and rubbish) addition.

3. telegramsam

Well that's too bad. Somebody should totally do the whole song and put it up on youtube or something (not me though, I'm tone-deaf). :lol:

4. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

And for the fact the credits would run out, and we'd be only on the third verse!

5. deadman_inc

deadman_inc Catering Officer

BETWEEN TWO PERSONALITIES IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE
    hi all,
    erm...i think i can help...i hope. i have found the entire theme tune and it was recorded
    but never implemented due to shortness of time and credits. so andrew and james are both
    right...sort of :lol:
    allow me to clarify, i have a nokia 5310 with express music on O2. on the O2 home page i
    have napster.com mobi site (if i'm right you may be able to get on to napster.com without
    the other stuff). if you type red dwarf into the search panel it should give you results
    for your search that will include the full red dwarf end credit theme.
    i hope that is compleatly correct, and helps you.
    if not then oops sorry my mistake.

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Dude, are you sure of your facts here? We're talking about the Howard Goodall verses written in '87, as shown briefly on-screen in the documentary of the Series VI DVD. To my knowledge these lyrics were rewritten and reduced to two versus before being recorded for the series. Jenna Russell never sang the full, larger set of lyrics. as far as I know.

Years later, a direct-to-compilation-CD recording was done by a team wholly unassociated with either Howard or the show. They wrote an extra set of lyrics ("We're locked on course/Straight through the universe/You and me and the galaxy...") and re-rcoreded the track with a new singer and, um, 'less-impressive' musical performances. That's the version that tends to show up on iTunes, Napster, etc.

If you've discovered a genuine original recording of the full, full theme as written by Howard and sung by Jenna, that would be...wow, historic.

On a related note, there's a bizarre cover version on iTunes - track 14 here: http://bit.ly/78THD

7. deadman_inc

deadman_inc Catering Officer

BETWEEN TWO PERSONALITIES IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE
    hi all,
    regarding to the authenticity of my facts, the "recorded but not implemented...etc"
    information was gleened a few years back on a sci-fi website so the info could be flawed.
    as i have never herd the original full length version, i cannot prove my claim.
    i know that this looks as if i was mistaken with my info on the full version, but i do
    have vague recolections of this website and the information but the name eludes me
    at this time, sorry. i did admit that i could be wrong. oh well...i was under the impression
    that i was helping. sadly i'm foiled again. :-(

8. telegramsam

Well I'm sure that's hilarious... except I use Linux. No itunes. :P