RDXI Ep 1 - TWENTICA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

This is the official thread for discussion of the content of the episode TWENTICA. Once the episode has appeared on UKTV Play (and NOT before), this thread may be used to discuss any and all elements of the episode. Anyone who has not seen the episode who enters this thread does so at their own risk!

Until the episode airs on Dave, you may continue to discuss it in other threads (as well as here), but only in relation to officially-released information. Once it has aired on Dave, it can be discussed in any thread in the "Red Dwarf XI Chat" conference, but you may not put plot details in thread titles.

For more information on the spoiler policy, please read this thread.

(And yes, this thread is going up a little early. I'm just putting it here now so you all know what the score is!)

2. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The episode is now live on UKTV Play, so once you've watched it you can discuss it in this thread to your heart's content!

3. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Really enjoyed it! I wouldn't say it's in the top 10 of Red Dwarf by any means, but it's a solid episode that definitively wouldn't have felt out of place in series V and VI.

The Acting was by no means "pantomime" which is a phrase I've heard thrown around a lot recently. I particularly enjoyed Chris Barrie's performance in this episode, which felt much less enlarged that his performances in series X.

The plot was solid, a simple Silmulant villain played brilliantly by Kevin Eldon, who of course is a well known British comedian. The time travel shinnangans are slightly over used, but Lister counteracts this by brilliantly bringing attention to how cliche it is. The decision to open the episode straight into the action is what makes it feel most like a series 5 or 6 episode, as there is very little set up, the Dwarfers find themselves under threat within a minute of the opening credits.

The Sets, incidentally, are amazing. They managed to make outdoors really look outdoors, and the speakeasy set was wonderful. I'm also really loving the look of the new starbug cockpit, which I didn't even question, as soon as the episode opened, I was in Starbug.

Over all, in judging an episode of Red Dwarf, I look at 2 things.

Laughs, and Science.

The Sci-Fi was at its best here, taking a well used concept, and doing something new with it. I particularly loved the detail that went into creating the 50's era.

As for laughs, it managed to get several giggles throughout, and at least one belly laugh. So not bad for episode 1.

In summary, Twentica is hardly that will shake the boundaries of Red Dwarf, but it's a solid start, that fits comfortably into the classic era of Red Dwarf. If this is how the new series is going to pan out, it can only get better from here. What really struck me was how "un-new" it felt. I don't mean this negatively by any means, I mean that it felt like Red Dwarf of old. If you discount aging of actors, it's no exaggeration to say that if this episode popped up on my series VI boxset, I wouldn't question what it was doing there.

PS: Very happy to see Rebecca Blackstone return. A talented young actress, and lovely to have her join the Tony Hawk club.

Today's Fish... likes this.
  4. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

The episode feels like much more money is invested in it than Series X so I'm surprised it has less money.

5. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

I had the opposite reaction, Gemzi, laughing more earlier in the episode than when the story really took over. A couple of gags announced themselves too early with insufficient payoff, a bit of a curse of Red Dwarf in later series, but mostly I thought Twentica had everything I want from the show. It was great to see Starbug doing what it does best, and in spectacularly classic fashion. A plot element was swiped from Star Trek: First Contact, but Dwarf has never been shy about plagiarism, and if you're going to take from Star Trek, take from its best moments.

For me, this episode wasn't a return to Dwarf's better times. It still felt very much like series X to me. But I was pleased to get right into the laughs. I found the early scenes in Starbug very funny. The science-babbling quips in the club were played to death, unfortunately. I stopped being amused by them after the first couple.

The whole thing looks better than series X ever did, and I look forward to seeing it on a big screen (instead of my smart phone) next week.

We may not find that elusive, perhaps mythical beast, classic Dwarf, in these two new series, but I think most of us will have fun on the hunt.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm going to put up a proper review later when I've watched the episode a second time, but my initial reaction is that that was a pretty good episode with a couple of laugh out loud moments and a few smaller laughs. I loved the whole film noir look (by coincidence I'd watched a film noir doc last night) and the sets and special effects were wonderful.

7. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Fantastic review Gerald. I mostly just wanted to echo everything you just said; there wasn't really a single thing in this review I don't agree with, which makes my review somewhat more simple!

It definitely feels like a return to form and a strong start for Series XI. My hopes for the rest of XI and XII are now higher than ever :-)

8. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

Just saw it and to be honest (and this might be due to child-related sleep deprivation) I'm not sure what to say. All I'll say after my first viewing is that Twentica reinforces further my personal view that even 'bad' Red Dwarf is still rather good, and better than just about anything else on British TV. The dwarfers themselves are a joy to watch. However, it still kind of washed over me, like something was missing. I need to see it again.

I'll watch it again this evening with a beer and a vindaloo. Looking forward to the chat over the next couple of days!

9. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

Loved it. Brilliant to see the ending which, as Seb will agree as he was there too, was something that worried me about this episode because when it was shot in front of the audience there was no ending.

Brilliant return to form - the second half is much better than the first. Took me ages to work out it was Pree!!!

10. BozBoozy Christmas

BozBoozy Christmas Deck Sergeant

I thought it was a good sign that I laughed almost immediately. Overall, I enjoyed the episode, although I'm looking forward to having more scenes actually set on Red Dwarf (especially bunk scenes).

A good start.

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

By the way, does anyone have any idea where the episode's title comes from?

12. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

Good question! It didn't even occur to me to think about it.

I'm pleased to discover on reading the news section on the homepage (news on a Thursday? Is this a regular thing now or just for the new episodes?) that each episode will be available on UKTV Play the Thursday before its Dave air date. So, Dwarf is giving me two things to look forward to each week from now on.

13. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I just rewatched the scenes with "Big Bang Brenda" and I still don't recognise it as Rebecca Blackstone (who played Pree in RDX)! But that just serves as a testament to what a fine actress she is. Hopefully we'll see her again in the future.

14. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Struggling with the episode name a bit myself.

I assume it's a reference to the 1920s (before they realise they're in the 1950s, there's a reference to prohibition which happened in the 1920s). Technica is latin for technology. 1920s Technology? Twentica? I dunno, I'm making it up now :-)

And, yes, we should now have it every Thursday on UKTV Play one week before the air date.

15. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

The exponoids arrived in the 20s and halted technological progress. Twenties-tech based America: Twentica.

16. p_hill3000

p_hill3000 Third Technician

Very pleased with the first episode!
    In my opinion the best so far since the Dave revival!
    You could tell straight away from the opening credits onward that it felt like the Red Dwarf we all now and love.
    I wasn't the biggest fan of Red Dwarf X, and I was extremely disappointed with BTE.
    For me, for the first time this felt like this felt like REAL Red Dwarf.
    The writing, sets, special effects and performances were all spot on. I really enjoyed the lighting in the final scene.
    Thanks to Sky for allowing me to watch on a 55 inch telly in HD with no problems.
    I just hope the series continues like this, cause if it does we're in for a great one.... ;-)

17. Pheeeeebs

Pheeeeebs Skutter

I really enjoyed that episode. Didn't really laugh out loud at anything, but I watch RD for comfort as well as comedy these days.

The only thing that put me off was how big Kryten is. I don't know if that's a case of Robert aging and putting on a fair few lbs or if the costume was too bulky. He looked obese. (Sorry Robert!) :eek:ops:

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i have watched it twice already and i have to say after i watched trojan i felt instantly disappointed while with this one i am kinda mixed, i mean the show visually looks great and i thought some of it was pretty funny like rimmer being kidnapped in some weird unexpectated timey wimey way but there were also a couple of jokes that fell abit flat or perhaps went on to long.

I also kinda wish the villains had stayed a little more serious, while that part at the end was funny i kinda think it took away some of what makes a good red dwarf villain since the shows best villains have usually been 98% to 99% totally straight like in gunmen,inquisitor and even legion

19. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

There was a lot I liked that that episode....infact I loved most of it. However I feel that stuff fizzled a bit the flat jokes involving the Simulants bickering and the rushed ending were a little disappointing for what was an otherwise very strong episode. It was definitely a really ambitious episode but it's such a shame it felt like it ran out of time and really rushed a conclusion.

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its basically like star trek first contact in many many ways but i do wonder about the ramifications of the ending as wasn't the past still changed? wouldn't that mean nothing was really corrected by the end?

Maybe i am thinking to hard about it but its one of these things about ambitious stories in a 30 minute time span