RDXI Ep 1 - TWENTICA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I really enjoyed it, I dont think it was laugh out loud funny or anything but it was an interesting story and fun to watch, it also looked fantastic

2. BetterAnythingThanThatToupee

BetterAnythingThanThatToupee Third Technician

Yep, it's called 'acting'.

Yeah, I said that too (in some form or other).

I never suggested that he should -- but I would like to hear the 'hint' of his original accent underneath. That was pretty much the comment, in a nutshell. Again -- just my personal preference 8)

3. BetterAnythingThanThatToupee

'The unintelligent comments of serial apologists ... bwah!!!'

:roll:

See what both of those posts do?

Exactly.

Think before you type.

4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I think that's the very reason the cliche joke was made, it was a self aware dig at itself aswell as there have already been a number of time travel stories in Red Dwarf (even having one last series), so much so that it's not just a well worn scifi theme, but also something they've done themselves so many time that it feels very "been there, done that" to Lister.....or at least that was my take on that. Besides even though I have issues with the Simulants too, I must confess the "We're not so different, you and I" line did crack me up!

5. Slainmonkey

It seems quite probable to me that Craig Charles doesn't even realise his accent has changed over the years, often that is something that people don't notice about themselves because they don't hear themselves with an outsiders perspective.

6. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

If you can't, I think you might have gone a bit "accent deaf" to him? He does have a Liverpudlian accent.

E.g., listen to the first time he says "we're working on the pad" and then "in return". It's quite noticeable.

EDIT: Also: "and get that Chronos machine back."

7. BetterAnythingThanThatToupee

I actually DID notice it under there somewhere in one line of Twentica -- I can't remember the line off the top of my head, but it seemed to be fleeting and forgotten about in all other scenes. It's not a big deal for me, I'd just like to hear it more often. On the whole -- great episode, looking forward to the rest!

8. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

[​IMG]

9. Slainmonkey

While not perfect, I will say that I am happy that I have a season opener that I legitimately think is a good episode....particularly given how weak I found (and still do) Trojan to be. I am starting to feel more optimistic about this new series as a whole......I hope this sets a standard for the rest of the episodes to come.

10. BetterAnythingThanThatToupee

...unless you're a professional actor. Then it's your job.

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I really do think that Twentica could easily fit into seasons five and six. But what does everyone else think? Putting aside differences such as the cast's age and the more expensive look of the special effects here, if Twentica had gone out in 1992 or 1993 would it be talked about now as an episode that stands out as being fundamentally different or of substandard quality to the other episodes of that era? If so, what are the differences between Twentica and episodes of 5 and 6?

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I took it to be a mock of science fiction in general, basically saying the idea has been done to death, it's like the why don't we look out of the window gag because in science fiction people often look at computre screens to see what's outside, it's almost like it's an attempt at pointing out over used science fiction but the thing about this show is I know some believe it has always mocked science fiction but red dwarf had always embraced science fiction, maybe in a more comedic fasion but rarely does it mock science fiction, I mean you wouldn't get an episode like back to reality if the writers were mocking it and no embracing it

It just didn't work for me, I don't like it when the show attempts meta jokes.

13. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

To be fair, as someone already pointed out, there's no "in-character" reason why Lister's accent wouldn't have softened after thirty years. I'm not sure there's a professional acting requirement for Craig Charles to dust off a thirty year old accent when he's playing a character with his own natural voice.

Also, I'm having a re-watch of it, and I honestly think he sounds more Liverpudlian than you give him credit for! You say you only detected it once, but I hear it every few words when he speaks:

"Well Pythagoras wasn't much of a pilot."

"I learned a few things today, Kryten... it seems to me us humans better be on our toes... yeah, yeah, you do that... we can't rely on machines, Kryten!

If you played someone lines from Twentica and said the actor was trying to do a Mancunian accent, they'd say that's rubbish, he sounds Scouse!

14. BetterAnythingThanThatToupee

Yes, it was me in my original post -- don't you remember??

We'll agree to disagree on this one 8)

Lister's accent - series 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_0xaOQWg6I

Lister's accent - series 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl08pqpOBZ0

Again, it's not a big deal, but it's there.

15. Slainmonkey

I would say most of it could, I mean much of it actually felt pretty series 6ish. I feel the episode lost some of that in it's closing few minutes though. The Simulants bickering to me felt straight out of series 10, and some of the humour did bring to mind Lemon's at times. For what it's worth I do feel this episode was the episode that truly felt the most Red Dwarf-ish for a VERY long time!

16. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I'm pretty sure they were making fun of Red Dwarf. Off the top of my head, they've done changing-the-past-to-change-the-future in:

Stasis Leak (they fiddle with the past to change the future)
    Timeslides (they fiddle with the past to change the future)
    Inquisitor (the villain fiddles with the past, present and future to change history)
    Out of Time (the villains fiddle with their past to change their future)
    Tikka to Ride (two distinct pieces of past-fiddling - one to change the future and one to put it back again)

In other words, more than 8% of Red Dwarf episodes use changing-the-past-to-change-the-future as the major plot point. So it's hard to believe Doug Naylor wasn't having a laugh at his own expense.

Honorable mentions:

Future Echoes (Lister fiddles with the present to try to change the future - although I suppose all human endeavour fits into that category)
    Ouroboros (Lister fiddles with the past to keep everything the same)

17. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

And you are??? :x

18. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Oh, I'm not disagreeing that his accent has softened - I'm sure it has - so I'm even happy to agree to agree, up to a point :-)

But I do think he still sounds recognisably Liverpudlian. Even in that Dear Dave clip. Listen to the way he says, "make it up to yer" - "new nozzle housings" - and, most of all, "I'm jus' tryna picch 'er up!" - it's like something off Brookside!

But, admittedly, he sounds less "Scouse" than he does in the golden age clip that follows on auto-play ("it's a banana" from Camille).

Out of interest, are you from in or near Liverpool?

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

How many pages are we going to fill up with discussions about Craig Charles' accent?

20. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

It's nice to be back. I couldn't stay away with new Dwarf on the telly-box. And it's nice to see so many familiar folks still knocking about on the message board. I hope you're keeping well, whatever you're up to these days. :-D

There weren’t enough jokes that really made me laugh or that I thought were particularly clever for me to get that feeling of nostalgia. I think it was as good as most of series 10, and perhaps better than most of series 7. But I'm extremely gratified that, while I find Twentica just a good episode, almost all the reviews and comments I've seen from both critics and fans have been very positive. I've never agreed with the majority on rating Red Dwarf episodes anyway. If the series has opened with an episode this strong, the series as a whole could well be in the league of 5 and 6.