RDXI Ep 1 - TWENTICA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I've been trying to watch Twentica again since yesterday afternoon, but keep getting a 'This video cannot be loaded' message, and some nonsense about checking my Internet connection. I've tried another episode and it loads fine. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Or have the IT gods once again singled me out for punishment? (In which case, I may have to sacrifice some RAM.)

2. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

This happened to me when I tried to watch it on my son's Samsung tablet it kept saying check internet connection,so I tried other sons iPad and it worked really not sure why but maybe try a different devices if that's an option sorry not to be anymore help good luck:-D

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I watched it again and I must say I enjoyed it even more, I stand by my issues around rushed ending (though far less jarring a second time round) and the Expenoids bickering still leaves me cold, but for me it gets so much right that I feel this one is going to be a real grower for me. I mean had this episode been in series 6 it wouldn't have been the best, but it certainly would have liked it more then Rimmerworld or particularly Emohawk. Not a perfect episode but it's enough to make me far more enthusiastic for what lies ahead.

4. ac_cloud

ac_cloud Skutter

Just went on sky planner to set a reminder for next week and its already available for download!

I loved it. Better than anything from series X. Felt more natural. On par with series 6. Some great one liners and decent story.

We're back in the red!

As for the plot hole at the end people mentioned, didn't the gadget just destroy all electronics at that moment, there's nothing to stop the scientists just reinventing the technology again from that moment on is there?

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Thanks! I'll try and get the opportunity to borrow my dad's tablet later. I think that's the only other device I might have access to. I'll keep trying on my phone every now and then, though. After all, it worked once.

6. BetterAnythingThanThatToupee

BetterAnythingThanThatToupee Third Technician

To anyone who caught the advance screenings:

Do you recall a scene shortly after the Starbug crash on location in a forest? Maybe I just made that bit up. If I did it's a shame, as ALL cast members were right on the money RE character in that scene.

7. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

To be brutally honest, and with fandom aside. Twentika was ok. Very hit and miss and my opinion. I do hark for the old days of funny and not the new direction of parody and silly. As someone else said the Inquisitor, Queeg, Krytens replacement, Legion, the gunmen simulants etc... they were all menacing but had moments of humour about them. This new way of goofing the bad guy such as Hogey, The sims from The Beginning and now the sims from Twentica are all slapstick parodies which I think is a shame.

Pros:
    To me the show looks great, and the guys while older (bar DJJ!) still have it over all. The framing was better and the camera shots didnt seem so close up. When the jokes worked they worked very well. The model shots were great, but made the brief red dwarf cameo look poor in comparison.

Cons:
    Kryten's new suit looks a little too rubbery (not the mask the suit) but the nipples were very funny. The laughter still sounds canned, I wonder if it is just turned up to loud.. and so sounds more intrusive? The end was a bit forced and not in keeping with the usual Kryten Lister relationship. Some of the dialoge was a bit stilted and I also miss the old bitter Lister Rimmer relationship (but I think this was aided by the real relationship breakdown of Barrie and Charles). Lastly still no red dwarf flyby over the credits :-(

Overall: A good start, but lets not kid ourselves as far as post series 6 goes it was one of the better ones, but based on series 2-6 it would be seen as a poorer one IMO and should really have been a mid series ep IMO.

However, that all said I have high hopes for the rest of the series :-D - Well done to Doug and the lads for giving us a taste of past glories! :-D

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Thats because its a 28 year old show with a huge fan base so anyone who goes into see it are just so excited to be there that there is abit of an over exaggeration of laughs, series 8 had it also.

9. mtullock

Thats possibly exactly what it is, well thought out! If I was there I would be the same lol

10. EmoSmeg

EmoSmeg Third Technician

In my opinion I thought the episode on the whole was really good. I got a series 6 feel from it. the science speak in the middle was a tad over done and the ending came way too early and slightly rushed but Im still not sure if that is a good thing because of the episode being that crammed with action and feeling short. But what I am most happy with is that with series X, I and a lot of others were of the opinion that it was ok and was comparing the episodes to the quality of VII, VIII and BTE. But from this episode it seems like the quality of this series seems to be able to compare to classic 1-6 series even if it is the weaker episodes of that era. it is definitely a step up in quality in my opinion and the closest so far the being 'classic dwarf'

11. EmoSmeg

EmoSmeg Third Technician

In my opinion I thought the episode on the whole was really good. I got a series 6 feel from it. the science speak in the middle was a tad over done and the ending came way too early and slightly rushed but Im still not sure if that is a good thing because of the episode being that crammed with action and feeling short. But what I am most happy with is that with series X, I and a lot of others were of the opinion that it was ok and was comparing the episodes to the quality of VII, VIII and BTE. But from this episode it seems like the quality of this series seems to be able to compare to classic 1-6 series even if it is the weaker episodes of that era. it is definitely a step up in quality in my opinion and the closest so far the being 'classic dwarf'

12. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

it's all a long way from the glory years. But then, how can you recapture lightning in a bottle?

Good on them for making it look so good on such small budget though.

13. mtullock

Lister through his teeth says "thats the lad"

14. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

lol, I think you hit the nail on the head :-) I think I noticed the same effect on Radio 4's I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue. It's like they go in primed to laugh their heads off.

15. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Overall I liked the episode, I don't know what the budget was for these new episodes but Twentica certainly looked classy.

I wasn't keen on that VIII/BTE type ending and would much rather had it end on Starbug blasting away out of the effect of the blast zone.

All in all though a very good first episode for RDXI and if the rest are as good then I will be more than happy.

16. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I'm really pleased that this has gone down well with Dwarf fandom and the media (I note positive reviews from The Metro, Den of Geek and Digital Spy). In visual terms, it's among the best Dwarf we've ever seen, and I'm rooting for it to succeed.

However, while I enjoyed watching it, I was personally a bit disappointed. Maybe it was partly the four year wait.

Firstly, I found suspension of disbelief really hard. A lot of that is probably because of the internet and my own fandom. It's difficult to escape the fact that these are actors, those are new sets, etc., etc., because I've followed the production online.

However, it's not *just* that, because I managed to lose myself in BTE and Trojan. I think it's partly because, in Twentica, the madey-uppy jargon felt rough around the edges, and the exposition was blurted out at breakneck speed (to be fair, Classic Dwarf dumped some unbelievable stuff on me - but maybe not so much of it at once). Here, some challenging "science fantasy" ideas are merely touched on, when they would have made for interesting episodes in their own right - namely:

- The idea of "Moore's Law" (i.e., processing power doubling every two years) continuing for an AI over presumably thousands of millennia

- The idea that someone rewrote history because they thought humans weren't "mature" enough for high technology

- The idea of negotiating with people who've kidnapped your future self, and what that means for your own timeline

Between that and the villains descending into farce, it felt a bit like watching improv. "Okay - so you've given us 'exponoids' for the villains - a 'Casket of Chronos' for the object - 'wavelet' for the difficult word - and '1920s America' for the setting. Let's see what we come up with!!" I knew I was watching people muck around on stage, whereas I normally lose myself in the story more. I *did* enjoy it, but not as much as other outings (including Trojan).

As with Lemons, there were some historical "oddities", but I was fairly relaxed about these for once. I noticed the following: the denizens of "Twentica" have steam-powered cars, even though other kinds predate the Twenties (the Model T Ford, for instance, was produced between 1908 and 1927); and electric toasters are contraband in "Twentica", despite being invented in the late 19th Century (the patent for the pop-up version was awarded in 1921).

I wondered if a hot-wirable car was a mistake in the other direction - i.e., allowing a piece of post-Twenties tech - but it turns out electric ignition (and even the car key) arrived just in time for Twentica :-)

It was a little light on laughs for me, too. The gags I liked most were:

- "Hackneyed clichés" - my first laugh

- "If that's the penalty you get for toast, what the hell do you get for pizza?!"

- Making science sound really dirty ("general AND special" and the two-slit experiment - I thought that whole character and bit of dialogue worked really well)

- "That ain't Einstein"

- The visual gag of Lister drinking from the lab flask at the worst possible moment

- "A real big spender!!" - my solid belly laugh for the ep

Some of the gags were "misses" for me. E.g., Bob the Bum calling the two gadgets "potatoes".

That all sounds a bit negative, but I did enjoy it overall. If the rest of the series is this good, that'll be good enough. I guess it was partly the four year wait (by way of contrast, I really liked Trojan). And I fully endorse the idea that bad for Red Dwarf is good for TV in general.

I would probably put it on a par with Only The Good. That episode gets a bad press, but I've developed a soft spot for it. If you take away the horrible cliffhanger ending, you've got a plot that feels like classic Dwarf (i.e., they venture into a mirror universe to find a cure for a sci-fi peril) and at least two great comic scenes. It just isn't quite as good or "believable" as a classic episode. That's how I feel about Twentica, and I'd probably include Entangled in this category too.

17. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

If you liked the cliché line wait til you see the smeg ups!!!!!

18. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Watched it again and perhaps I was a bit harsh on Twentica. It looks absolutely great, the sets are flawless and believable. Like they managed to pull off Gunmen from series 6, but in a studio. As with my previous post, the sets were something recent Doctor Who would be proud of.

I think I was more forgiving this time round. There were plenty of laughs and an awful lot crammed in (I checked that the episode was still the usual 27ish minutes). But for me, Trojan was still the better episode - probably because of the breathing room it gives the characters and the more "classic" feel I think, giving them a bit of time to bicker too. Though while I think Trojan is thr second-best episode since series 6 (Tikka To Ride being my first), Twentica isn't far behind. For me, there was only three "stand-out" laughs in Twentica - the method by which they recharge Kryten, Cat at the start ("that's him over there"), and Kryten's "bobbing for apples in a cement mixer".

And I didn't mind the Exponoids being a bit funny. I did mind the Sims from The Beginning, but not these guys. Even quite liked their little spat at the end. However, they barely featured.

19. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

It was a great ep!

20. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

I'll keep this short.

There is A LOT to like about this episode. Its beautiful for a starter. Truly beautiful. I was astonished at how much better it looks onscreen then when I saw it live. I loved seeing the boys again. Kryten's physical comedy improves with every series. The actor Kevin Eldon is also a joy to behold in anything and everything he does.

I was just a little bored. I know for a fact that there is good stuff to come and I'm very positive that this will be up there with my favourite seasons (based on seeing the live shows), but this particular episode left me cold. So much didnt make sense. I thought the interactions between the cast felt a bit flat.

I'm not gonna say all this on social networks because I wouldn't want to say anything even remote discouraging in public about my favourite TV comedy of all time, but this is the place to discuss and be honest!

I havent read anyone else's answers on this thread yet, but will right now.

Staying positive!

jed