RDXI Ep 1 - TWENTICA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The episodes are made FOR Dave, and broadcast at 9pm. Of course they're not going to be cut!

Whatever form they end up in on Dave will be their originally intended form, and will be identical to how they are on UKTV Play.

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I definitely have to agree with this, even though the style of humour and preformances reminded me of series X at times (though far more polished). This episode felt genuine to me, it's kinda what I hoped series X would have been and really captured the spirit of the show I feel in love with. While it wasn't perfect it's made me more excited to see the next episode then I have been for a very long time.

3. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

It had honestly never occurred to me to make a double (slit) entendre out of it!

To fully dissect it - the part that made me laugh the most was "general AND special", because it sounded awful. And I thought that "big bang" was a fine punchline. I also enjoyed her being exposed as Professor Baldwin, because it was a pleasing reversal of a more common trope (e.g., "and then we come to Lady Henry de Maude - a high-falutin' name for plain old Molly Dee - formerly of the Velvet Goldmine," etc., etc.).

"Density" was also a hit for me, but the bit about blood temperature was more of a miss.

4. Laylora

Laylora First Technician

I'm totally late I know!

I was so pleased with the episode, I'm amazed that after so many years it still has the same 'feel' which to me is the most important thing. In my opinion it nailed it even more than X. Judging by the titles, it looks to be a really solid series we can look forward too. I happened to be watching it with a scientist who got no end of joy from all the references which went over my head.

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Nice to get confirmation that starbug is actually equipped with jump leads!

Second Big Bang incoming? Possibly with the help of Rebecca Blackstone's character Beryl! ;-)

6. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Well I've sneakily watched this episode twice now (will watch 'properly' with my son on Thursday - I'm pretending I haven't seen it yet, he'd be so annoyed if he knew!). Really enjoyed it, probably more than any other episode since 1993. I mean, it's not perfect, but there's a lot to love about it and it just feels right, nicely Red Dwarfish (well it does to me, anyway).

So it did reference Star Trek after all, just not the Star Trek I was expecting. Am I right in thinking the Expanoids' names are a nod to the Borg? I know there was a character called Seven of Nine, but wasn't sure if the others had similar titles. Anyway, I just loved that scene at the end where they start bickering - been a fan of Kevin Eldon ever since Fanny Thomas! And Lucie Pohl was a revelation, a really cool guest turn.

The audience reactions were a bit over the top at times, but I kind of understand that now - I'm sure I'd have reacted in the same way if I'd been there. Clapping always annoys me though.

The only other annoying thing was watching on UKTV Play, as I found the audio and visuals were fractionally out of sync - very distracting. Has anyone else experienced this? I wish I'd had the willpower to wait for the TV broadcast. Oh well, too late now.

7. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

>been a fan of Kevin Eldon ever since Fanny Thomas!

Well, me spatula's stuck under me flapjack... OOH, PARDON!

8. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I might have to watch it again a few times before I pass any real judgement but it was an entertaining half hour. Definitely picked up on the Star Trek First Contact vibe immediately and I loved the period costumes. Kryten looked like Jake Bullet again, which I don't know if that was intentional or not. Structurally and tonally it seemed to remind me of Lemons, in that it seemed a little too flippant and wacky for such a dire and epic situation. Glad to see Kevin Eldon in anything though, he stole the show.

The Einstein in Meltdown was far superior to this one though.

The ending felt super super rushed. Going from Earth to Starbug to Red Dwarf again takes like a minute for the sake of a joke. It just seemed noticably and hastily edited there.

Anyone else think the flapper girl looked like the original Kochanski, Clare Grogan, circa Series 1 & 2?

9. Callisto252

Also reminds me of Lemons, in that the historical figure they meet turns out to be just some random person (which is why I don't mind this Einstein not being Einstein-y enough). I thought the whole scene in the speakeasy was fantastic - seeing that recorded live must have been an awful lot of fun! Can't say that Harmony particularly made me think of Clare Grogan, though I suppose there are superficial similarities. I can be quite rubbish at 'seeing' faces though - I didn't realise it was Kevin Eldon until the last scene and I didn't recognise Rebecca Blackstone at all.

What I'd really like to know now is whether the simulants are called Expanoids (as in expansion) or Exponoids, as in exponential growth (which would make more sense with the allusion to Moore's law). Anyone have any idea?

It's a rule in my house that all innuendos must be followed by this, particularly when they don't quite work!

10. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I haven't seen it written down anywhere official, but as far as I'm concerned it's Exponoids, because they increase exponentially.

11. Callisto252

Thanks, agree that's definitely the better option!

12. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

surely its Expanoids? Bloody great name for a band.

13. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

"Expanoids" is more common in (unofficial) online sources - including the Metro coverage - but there's next to no hits for either.

As above - I agree that Doug Naylor must have intended exponoids, because of their exponential growth (which is measured in "doubling time").

I'm guessing the "n" is part of the prefix (i.e., expon + oids rather than expo + noids). We're used to hearing about "mechanoids" in Red Dwarf, but the "n" comes from mechanical. It's mechan + oid. So "-noid" isn't a suffix in its own right. I wouldn't expect a construction like expanoids from exponential.

Having said which... I suppose it's possible that the villains are exponential mechanoids, and the name is a Bennifer-style portmanteau of the two. In that case, it could have acquired "-anoid" from "mechanoid". By the same token, in the Red Dwarf universe, a holographic mechanoid could be a "holanoid" rather than a "holonoid". In that scenario, "-anoid" would be fictitious suffix derived from "mechanoid".

14. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I did enjoy the episode, not as much as previous Red Dwarf but i did think it was a good effort.
    I thought the new Starbug interior was pretty good, very different from previous episodes but i like the changes sometimes however I did think the Exponoids costumes were rather poor, especially compared to costumes such as the Inquisitor or Legion which seemed like much more effort had been put into them.
    But they were an improvement on the Simulant costumes of Series X - The Beginning, those were really bad.
    On the whole I thought it was a strong opener, and im looking forward to Episode 2, I just hope they tone Rimmer down a notch as he seems to be overacting.

15. Callisto252

I'm not ready for Samsara yet, I need to see Twentica properly first (by that I mean with the dialogue actually matching up with the pictures. Seriously, has no one else had this problem with streaming? Maybe it's just my dodgy wifi). Think I'll hold off on watching ep. 2 for a couple of days.

What a strange and wonderful position to be in - feeling overwhelmed by too much new Red Dwarf!

16. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I've watched it about four times now. Twice via Sky's On Demand. This is a great way to watch it - full HD and it downloads to your Sky box so it's pretty much perfect as it's strictly speaking not streaming when you watch it.

I've watched it a couple of times via UKTV Play's website, and I can't say I've experienced an issue there either, though when I have watched it like that it has been more casual with my attention half on other things.

I'm intrigued as to when Samsara will be available to watch. Twentica was available on Sky last week around 9am so I watched it as soon as I got up, though I wonder if this week it will wait until Twentica has aired on Dave.

I'm hoping it's the former, then I can watch it in just 12 hours. Not that I'm counting...

17. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Yes, I had problems with the streaming, the service locked up about 2 minutes into the episode on 4 attempts to watch it, on the 5th attempt I got to watch it all the way through but sync was not perfect.
    Since then I have tried again but never been able to view properly. I doubt it is a problem with uktvplay and more likely an issue with my virgin media connection as I do get regular internet dropout but virgin refuse to accept it is a problem.

18. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Still nothing. I suppose I should do some work instead!

My suspicion is it will go live after Tentica airs tonight on Dave.

19. MarilynMonroe

MarilynMonroe Skutter

Also waiting! Can't someone with a Twitter account ask UKTV when they plan to put it online?

I really enjoyed Twentica. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I'd avoided spoilers, so I'll be avoiding them for future episodes; lesson learnt! Great guest cast. Not all the jokes were LOL but with enough jokes that were it is still what I'd consider very funny. On the downside, I felt that there was too much unnecessary technobabble early on. Overall, I think it's one I'll enjoy more with rewatching, preferably on an actual TV, but since I likely won't be able to watch it tonight it'll probably be when it comes out on DVD.

Funny that the similarities to Lemons didn't occur to me until others pointed it out. My thought was that since it's parodying ST:FC that Bob the Bum was basically this episode's Zefram Cochrane.

And I, too, think it's spelled Exponoids.

20. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

I'm really looking forward to watching on tv tonight as it's a much bigger screen than my tablet:-D