RDXI Ep 1 - TWENTICA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Sep 13, 2016.

1. p_hill3000

p_hill3000 Third Technician

Also waiting...
    Thursday is my day off and last week I watched it in the morning.
    Otherwise I have to wait until everyone else is in bed much later on tonight!
    I could watch it on my laptop but I guess it's worth the wait to see it on Sky in HD on a big telly! ;-)
    After finally having my faith restored in new Red Dwarf following last weeks episode I'm curious as to see what they will do this week and I do hope they remain on form.
    My guess is the same. It'll probably go out on UKTV after Twentica airs tonight, maybe to keep enough of us tuned in and the viewing figures high, who knows? Though it would be nice if it became available earlier.
    Anyway, it's far too nice a day for me to be waiting inside...
    Enjoy everyone! ;-) ;-) ;-)

2. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Just a note on the spoiler policy for Series XI, as a reminder:

When Twentica starts airing tonight, you may start to discuss it in threads (in this conference only) outside of this one. However, if you've already seen the whole episode, don't make reference elsewhere to things that haven't yet been seen in the broadcast! And remember the (indefinite) rule that you may not post spoilers in the titles of threads.

A discussion thread for those watching Samsara at UKTV Play pace will be created ahead of its going online, too.

3. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

On the UKTV Play website, it says it "Next on Today, 9pm".
    So im guessing thats when Samsara will be available to watch.

4. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

1 of 11 you were on high form:-D Mr Naylor you have given pleasure to the world again, no butts required apart from Bob :lol: That was the 4th time I've watched Twentica and each repeat viewing has revealed something new.

5. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Roughly the same number of watches for me; I actually are finding some of the more mundane jokes funnier the more times I watch, while I'm finding the bigger jokes aren't getting old.

C'mon, Dave, where's Samsara...

6. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

[/quote]Roughly the same number of watches for me; I actually are finding some of the more mundane jokes funnier the more times I watch, while I'm finding the bigger jokes aren't getting old.

C'mon, Dave, where's Samsara...[/quote]

It's a very busy episode crammed with jokes and plot it's all too easy to under appreciate or miss some of the humour or complexities of the story. I found myself distracted by the sets, particularly Starbug which looks awesome. Tonight I watched with subtitles on to mop up anything I've missed. Samsara cannot come quick enough.

7. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Fantastic - well worth the wait! :-D

8. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Finallllllllyyyyy saw it tonight. Loved it, the Expndaoids or whatever they were called, loved 'Bob' loved the setting and the costume and the model shots and Harmony de Gauthier is up there with my favourite guest stars.

My only gripe about this episode is that it was over so quickly.

9. JohnnyPlanet

JohnnyPlanet Skutter

I wasn't a big fan of this. It all just seemed a bit..... bland. A bit dull.

The 20s / 50s prohibition spoof seemed like a gag that went on for far too long - something the series has been guilty of a lot in recent years.

10. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

I enjoyed all of it (and I don't mind admitting that during the opening titles I was just boogying away in my seat and bopping my head along to the music) some terrific lines in the opening scene - but Krytens nipples though :-)

Kevin Eldon is someone whom I've admired for many years- even to this day my fav role of his is Fanny "OOOOOOOH PARDON!" Thomas in Knowing Me Knowing Yule and his role in RD (in my opinion is legendary)

Very much liked the similarity with the Einstein gag to the Jesus gag in Series X.

The gag with Lister and Rimmer about hotwiring the car was funny.

And very nice to see Rebecca (Pree) Blackstone back, I remember seeing her name in the credits and thinking "YAY!" :-)

There were elements that reminded me of Rimmerworld and Holoship when Rimmer was taken hostage.

All in all a one hundred percent successful episode :-)

11. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

It's good to hear/see that there's a generally positive response to the first episode of RD XI. It's a good sign for the rest of the series! :-)

My take on Twentica reflects a few of the views all ready on here. I thought it opened great, fast-paced and straight into the action. I was really into it up until the overlong science jokes in the bar (with the professor and her innuendos). It completely took me out of the episode and just felt like it went on for ages. I didn't find (Einstein) Bob (the bum) that funnier either. But it picked up again when the police and simulants arrived. I get people's points about wanting a more serious villain/threat (I do too, btw) but the Kevin Eldon and 3 of 63's (?) bickering really cracked me up.

The last scene with Lister and Kryten did feel rushed, but I thought the dilemma of whether Lister should stay on Earth (and him not wanting to leave Kryten behind) was great. Actually, weirdly, it was my favourite part of the episode.

All in all, I'd give the episode a, perhaps harsh, 6 out of 10 (but judging from what others have said, I think my rating will go up after a re-watch, which may not be 'til the DVD comes out...).

And one more thing: I'd say this episode almost feels like something that could slot right into, say, series VI... but I think the tone was a tad too farcical. I feel like RD VI would have taken the idea/threat/concept/episode more seriously. Know what I mean?

12. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I've watched it four times now and it just seems to get better with each viewing. This episode certainly has the rewatchability factor. I feel slightly cautious about comparing it to any previous era of RD as I think this has it's own thing going for it, but I do think it would fit in quite nicely with series 5 and 6. And for me it has a bit of a series 3/Backwards feel too (only bigger and better). I certainly don't see it as having anything in common with series 8 (which I by no means hate but it's weakness stands out like a sore thumb when compared to this).

I've a bit surprised by some of the complaints about audience reactions, non of it seems unusually over the top to me. Although I suppose the reaction to Cat's tap dancing is somewhat of a typical fan reaction, but no different to that in other popular long-running sitcoms, and I actually quite like it. I was sat at home alone for the first three viewings and was laughing along for the most part. If anything I found it a bit odd how silent the audience were during some of lines in the opening scene. Am I the only one who laughed at Rimmer's opening line? Had the audience been caught off guard by the quick opening and general fast pacing?

Speaking of which I absolutely love the pacing of this episode. Although with that said, variety between episode styles is something I've always appreciated about the best series of RD so I wouldn't want all the ep's to be paced this way.

Doug is clearly firing on all cylinders here. The cast are all on top form and the guest cast are, in my view, amongst the best the show has ever had. Lucie Pohl did a great job as Harmony and I got much enjoyment from the sciency gags. Also, I just luuurve that accent. David Stern was funny as Einstein Bob and I love that he managed to fix the capacitor subsequent to the Dwarfers telling him how brilliant he is, thus helping to entice said potential brilliance from the cold, clingy psychological grip of his previously inverted ego..or something.

Kevin Eldon and Alexis Dubus as the Expodoids were superb, even though they're used quite sparingly. I've always liked Kevin Eldon so it was nice to see him in RD. I wasn't sure what to expect when I heard that Alexis is in it as I've only ever seen him in the Inbetweeners (which I have mixed views about) but I thought he did a great job here. Facially (as this particular character) he reminds me a bit of Riff-Raff from the Rocky Horror Picture show, and his delivery of the lines during the argument scene had me laughing out loud on each viewing. It's interesting that the argument scene has been one of the areas of complaint for some fans. I thought it was one of the funniest parts of the whole episode. The fact that they play it completely straight is what makes it work for me. I love that kind of non-Hollywood humanisation of villains. It just goes to show how diverse the subjective tastes of we fans are.

I liked the whole concept of the Exponoids and the banning of science and technology, which seems to be somewhat of a sci-fi play on the rapid increase in the growth of technology casting doubts on the sustainability of the very foundations of our social structure - linked in with concerns about the misuse of technology and the fairly common dystopian fear of technology taking over and we as a species loosing what makes us human.

I thought it was a nice touch in the last scene to have Lister saying his piece about relying too much on technology whilst himself unnecessarily relying on technology....which, as it happens, takes nothing away from what makes him human. But yeah, I've always liked Lister's more thoughtful moments. Even when he doesn't appear to have fully take them on board. Overall it's a nice general theme and an interesting piece of social commentary. Much of which I think could be interpreted in various ways depending on ones personal bias/beliefs, conditioning/perceptions, experience, fears/passions, etc.

Despite my appreciation of the ending I do agree with those who have said it feels a little bit rushed, and I get the feeling this episode could've been five or ten minutes longer if Doug were allowed to go over the allocated time slot. Could we get an Xtended version on the dvd, I wonder? Probably not but I do suspect we'll get quite a few deleted scenes from this episode.

I enjoyed Lister's almost Marrooned-esq narrative about hot wiring cars as a kid. And Rimmer's "whom" speech at the door of the club. And Cat is generally as great as he's been at the best of times. There's so much more I could mention but I'll leave it there for now. Over all I'm still blown away by the awesomeness of this episode. Twentica is already a classic for me, And at the time of writing it may even have earned a place somewhere within my top 10 favourite episodes of all time. I've never been part of the anti series 8 brigade, and I enjoyed BTE and series 10. But for me Twentica is on another level and acts as a sharp reminder of how truly great Red Dwarf can be when all the elements align with such precision. Twentica is, in my view, pretty darn close to perfection. :-)

And now, after all that praise I'm going to attempt to drop any expectations as I gear up for watching Samsara. :-)

13. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Watched twentica last night, have to say I'm disappointed. The first half was quite good, a good set-up for an interesting story. then after the break it went downhill quickly. The story was so stupid, an illicit science lab group with endless science replicating sex jokes. Simulants who take an age to fire a gun, a wrong character joke that wasn't funny when it was in in the last series and rimmer going into the kind of overacting that wold make shatner squirm. Poor, a good story spoilt. Also no connection or reference to the revelations of working class rimmer from the end of the last series.

14. Kipperbein

Kipperbein Second Technician

Okay, so I guess on the main there has been a favourable reaction to RDXI. I certainly felt it was a stronger beginning than RDX, which I did still enjoy however.

Really looking forward to the next episode! :-D 8)

15. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I didn't understand the motivation of the Simulants, I don't get how and why they re-created humans. I understand that they had a time-travel device, but that planet wasn't Earth, so where did the humans come from?

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

The Exponoids didn't recreate humans. They travelled back to Earth in the twentieth century USA and created a technology ban which set back human technological development.

It was Earth in the 1950s in an altered timeline. And one of the exponoids stated their motivation in the episode. He could be lying of course. Just wanting to harm human beings is enough motivation for most simulants.

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Just had a third viewing of Twentica but on a TV screen for the first time, and it remains a brilliant episode. Funny, visually outstanding, great guest performances and a wonderful plot. It really does feel like a continuation of season 6 to me - especially the stuff set on Starbug at the start. I've no doubt that this is one of my all time top 10 episodes.

18. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

So that planet was Earth? I thought it was a random planet in uncharted deep space. I didn't pick up that the Casket of Chronus could take them back to Earth, I thought it was time-travel. The crew stole the Casket of Chronus back at the end, so presumably Lister can now use the Casket of Chronus to go back to 23rd century Earth or present-day Earth.

But since humans are extinct anyway, what was the point.

19. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Fair point - but they're time travellers, so could have started from any point in human history. That flattens the timeline somewhat and turns periods into "places".

E.g., say it's the year Eight Thousand. They go forward to the year Three Million and Whatever to fetch the Casket of Chronos. Then they do a u-turn and head back to Nineteen Twenties America, to put their heinous plan into operation.

It's not a super rigorous plot, though. Why is science banned? There was an awful lot of science pre-Twenties, and I dare say some carries on to furnish everyone with Twenties-style goods and services.

Come to think of it, the Erlenmeyer flask dates back to the 1860s. So - other than the fact that it's funny - why pretend to be a speakeasy, and have to put all the equipment away? Why not keep it as a lab full time, and just say they're vulcanising rubber, or doing experimental proofs of Boyle's Law or something?

20. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

The way I interpreted it was that they banned science so humans wouldn't invent something to defeat them. But given humans are extinct and Simulants aren't, surely humans never did that anyway.