RDXI Ep 2 - SAMSARA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

This is the official thread for discussion of the content of the episode SAMSARA. Once the episode has appeared on UKTV Play (and NOT before), this thread may be used to discuss any and all elements of the episode. Anyone who has not seen the episode who enters this thread does so at their own risk!

Until the episode airs on Dave, you may continue to discuss it in other threads (as well as here), but only in relation to officially-released information. Once it has aired on Dave, it can be discussed in any thread in the "Red Dwarf XI Chat" conference, but you may not put plot details in thread titles.

For more information on the spoiler policy, please read this thread.

Please note that while this thread has been created in advance of the episode appearing on UKTV Play, I do not know the exact time that it will go online - so please don't ask!

2. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Hopefully will be up today, but who knows anymore???!!!!!!!!

3. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Hi Seb, quick clarification about the spoiler policy, are we allowed to mention anything that happened in Twentica in this thread? i.e. to compare and contrast and look at consistencies/themes in XI?

4. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Yes. So long as details aren't given in subject lines, anything "spoilery" from episodes already broadcast on Dave can be mentioned in any thread in the "Red Dwarf on TV" conference.

5. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Thanks.

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Sorry, I should say: in any thread with [RDXI] in the subject line. This is to ensure people not watching RDXI can still talk about older episodes without worrying that a spoiler might pop up!

7. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

its up! just in case anyone wants to know! gonna watch now

8. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

Yeah but boo I need to watch it on son's tablet but hes at school and I need the password hmm maybe I should ring school hehe:-D

9. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

I enjoyed it, I thought it was a good episode...it did sort of just end though. The credits came up and I was like ..what?

10. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

I really liked this episode, I was hoping there would be an episode like this where the main focus is just on conversations between the crew.

The 'evolution' argument between Cat and Lister, especially the 'I thought you could swing from trees with ya big monkey arms' line from Cat was my favourite moment and up there in my 'top' RD moments ever, really tickled me.

I felt bad for the couple in love though, Red Dwarf is quite morbid isn't it? Doug certainly doesn't shy away from killing lots and lots and lots of people.

I agree that the ending seemed kind of sudden but I guess that's a good sign as time flies when you're having fun.

11. stanniedum

stanniedum Skutter

Yeah that was a cracker. It had many genuine laugh out loud moments (which I'm not gonna quote here to avoid spoilers). They have really recaptured the essence of what made Red Dwarf so great in this series so far. The two episodes we've seen would fit into series 4, 5 or 6 like a glove.

I think this bodes very well for season XII too! Because they were done back to back, I'd expect the style/quality to be the same. Long gaps between seasons (of any TV series) does tend to deminish quality somewhat.

12. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

We are two for two so far on quality this is very promising.

13. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Third Technician

Wow! I really enjoyed it. I would go so far as to say its the best episode ive watched since Out of Time.

Funny, paced well and very clever writing. Bravo Doug

14. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

Ring? March down there and get him out so you can watch together!

That was another great episode. Laughed a lot and grinned ear to ear throughout. My only minor criticism would be that the Archimedes bit was perhaps a bit too long so it lost some of it's impact towards the end. Regardless, everyone was in top form I thought. :-)

I'm really looking forward to the rest now!

15. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

Also did anyone else get hype for the reference to Justice world.

16. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

Yeah. I caught that. I wonder what they have in mind?

17. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Bingo. I absolutely agree with this, but on the whole I can't really let it detract from what is potentially one of my favourite episodes for a long time.

Like you and some of the others I had a big smile on my face throughout. I will, of course, be watching it a few more times but if it's anything like Twentica then I'll only like it even more with subsequent watches!

18. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

The joke just when I thought was maybe going on a bit spun it around with "knighthood" and gave me a huge laugh. So I think was worth it!

19. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

I think the question that really needs answering is this:

Who eats a 99 in bed? :-)

This felt like early RD to me.

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I will have to watch it again but my first reaction was... not being all that impressed, i probably felt more bored in certain parts and even the cat and lister stuff i thought went on abit long when they could have changed it up abit, its like having the episode 'marooned' centered around one particular joke.