RDXI Ep 2 - SAMSARA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Sep 23, 2016.

1. BozBoo

BozBoo Deck Sergeant

I actually enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Nice to see them try something new but still retain some old Dwarf.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Yet you just referenced one of the scenes where laughing out loud occurred for most people. That it could come after such a shocking and potentially dark moment for the show just demonstrates its possibility. However Dark Red Dwarf got (and I don't think Samsara was as particularly dark as people are saying in comparison to past episodes) it could always produce the big laughs.

I can think of several more from BTR alone. (Kryten's bewildered reading of "Fabulous prizes to be won!" gets me every time)...yet Samsara may have drawn a few smiles but I didn't honestly laugh once. Whereas Twentica got several big laughs from me and nothing in it had me cringing like that Lister/Cat stuff.

3. EmoSmeg

EmoSmeg Third Technician

For me twentica was the best episode of dwarf since series six but on two viewings on samsara I believe it to be even better and even better than some episodes in 1-6. That for me is everything I want from a dwarf episode.

4. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Humour's quite idiosyncratic, isn't it? Personally, I don't find either of the examples funny. The only laugh I remember getting out of Back to Reality was when you saw them how they really were, at the end. I might have chuckled at... was there a fish that committed suicide? But it's a great episode all the same :-)

5. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

:x

6. smegrightoff

smegrightoff Third Technician

I'm late to the party, let's call it fashionably late, but I thought both of the new episodes were absolutely brilliant and inspired! A remarkable return to form! Doug's first successful attempt at creating a series of Red Dwarf that feels like the Red Dwarf we've got to know and love. I thought everything from seven through ten was average at best with the occasional moment that shone, but nothing has come close to the quality of older Dwarf until now. I think, if this level of quality holds up, we may have a genuine classic series on our hands. I'm blown away by the production value too, everything looks professional and gorgeous! I'm genuinely impressed!

7. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I'm watching Samsara again, and loving more the second time. I think the humour and dialogue have improved no end. The exchange about evolution between the Cat and Lister is a highlight for me. It helps my enjoyment that I'm now watching it on a big telly, mirroring a tablet screen. The picture jerks a bit but it's acceptable.

8. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

Samsara was Red Dwarf on classic form, better than Twentica. Only a minuscule gripe: That extended exchange between the Cat and Lister got a stretched a bit thin. Would have loved to have seen a couple of minutes trimmed from that and ended the ep on Lister and Rimmer finishing their Mineopoly game. Otherwise, it was hilarious, atmospheric, interesting, beautifully shot on moody futuristic sets, with a cool spin on an older sci-fi idea driving the plot. B+

9. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

Kinda off-topic, but anyone else kinda worried that Series XI is too focused on Cat? I know we hardly have any Cat episodes but he's already the focus in this episode, and according to the synopsis he's the focus in Give and Take, as well as Can of Worms. Maybe Samsara should've been a Rimmer-Lister dynamic, with Cat and Kryten paired as a secondary focus?

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Not really since 'Krysis' will be a kryten episode and 'Office Rimmer' will be a rimmer episode so its not like they are all cat episodes

And Samsara wasn't exactly cat focused unless for whatever reason the cat need to be pushed into the background of the groups dynamic for one of the other 2

11. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

If you ask me, it's good that Cat has been getting more focus this series....particularly when he got pushed so far into the background and Series VIII, so much so that he was hardly a main character anymore.

12. bigtimedwarfer

bigtimedwarfer Second Technician

Best Episode since Gunmen for me, loved it.

13. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

There are so many comments and reviews to catch up with everywhere, I find I'm spending all my time reading them and not getting round to posting my own thoughts (not such a great loss, I admit). Anyway, here are some of them.

I was a little disappointed by Samsara on the first viewing, mainly because I'd accidentally clicked on the Red Dwarf XI hashtag on Twitter and saw loads of positive, enthusiastic posts about it (that was on Friday, I managed to resist watching until Monday). Think my expectations may have been set too high after that. Annoyingly, the 'reverse karma drive' element had already been spoiled for me (can't remember where I read that), so as others have said, the second half of the episode seemed to spend too much time telling me things I already knew (which, obviously, will be the case for all subsequent viewings anyway, but it would have been nice to experience it first time as the plot twist it was intended to be).

I thought the narrative structure was actually very good, and I enjoyed the scenes with the guest actors - these days it seems I'm perfectly happy when Red Dwarf tries something a bit different (certainly wasn't the case 20 years ago!). Also, we get another Rachel, and the last episode gave us another Beryl - deliberate in-jokes perhaps? Or are these simply the funniest girls' names around? (my sister won't be pleased!!). (She's not a Beryl BTW).

Second viewing was much more enjoyable. I found the Cat/Lister conversation much funnier - yes it goes on too long, but that's kind of the point. DJJ is on great form, and has been since series X - I think Cat is a more interesting character now than he's ever been, so I'm happy for him to feature more prominently.

Another thing I've enjoyed so far in XI (and this may just be me!) are the little Classical references - SS (AS?) Thanatos, Kakos 12, Chronos, Pythagoras, Archimedes and Julie Caesar (ha ha, love it!). Looks like the next episode may have a rather prominent one too (according to Doctor Who magazine anyway).

14. Slainmonkey

I am pretty mixed when it comes to this episode, it's not terrible but I don't like it that much either. Problem is that because they were the heart of the story, the episode either lived or died through the guest cast.......and that's where this episode really fails. The guest cast had no conviction in their preformance and as such makes it hard to care much for the story that unfolded. There were some pretty good jokes in this episode so it's not a total bust, but I don't see it being one I will go back to watch often....unless I'm watching through all of series XI!

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

The episode was ambitious but i don't know if it quite rounded out to be as well structured as it could have as i don't think they played on the mystery enough so once we get the pay off i just remember not really caring because it felt like the build up got forgotten a while ago in the episode once they stopped caring about how the crew were killed and started talking about history and stuff.

I feel it needed a trim down in certain areas and abit more other stuff in other area.

16. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

When is ep three going to be shown online? Or will we be lied to again?

17. Slainmonkey

It was 1 day late, that's still mostly a weak ahead of TV broadcast!

18. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

I guess so. The last episode focused on him was Waiting For God, and that was 28 years ago. I dunno, I'm still very optimistic about Series XI so far so I'll see how the rest of the episodes pan out.

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Friday morning probably.

20. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Let's not start this up again, please.