RDXI Ep 2 - SAMSARA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, I like that Doug's making more use of him this so far this season. I do think that Doug missed a trick though by pairing him with Lister instead of Rimmer in this episode. It would have made more sense for Rimmer to be driven mad by Cat's stupidity, and I think Barrie would have pulled it off better than Charles did. Lister is the only character that Cat tends to interact with on a one-on-one basis (which I find annoying as there's so much wasted potential there) and this would have given us some rare Rimmer/Cat two handers.

2. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

Yeah, the last time Cat and Rimmer had any sort of one-on-one conversations was way back in Series 1, where Cat just kind of did his own thing. It would be interesting to see another interaction in the same vein to show how the characters have changed.

3. Unrumble

Unrumble Third Technician

Off the top of my head, they have the scene in DNA where Rimmer is hoping to clone himself from his own dandruff, and 'the string game' scene in the last series.

4. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Well there was that conversation in The Beginning, which was interesting as it dispensed with the Cat's usual disdain for Rimmer. I think the Cat/Lister dynamic worked well here, precisely because they are meant to be friends. On the two previous occasions Lister and the Cat have been confined together - in Quarantine and Duct Soup - their friendship was similarly tested. Being locked in a room with your enemy is probably easier (maybe Sartre/Holly were right!).

5. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

Interestingly enough in Samsara, despite Lister obviously being put through hell, he never actually directly insults or provokes the Cat. Even towards the end of the episode when Cat states that Lister got to spend quality time with him, Lister quickly changes the subject as to presumably not hurt Cat's feelings.

Quite a far cry from Quarantine where it was implied they were violently beating the smeg out of each other.

6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I thought it should have been Rimmer who spotted the Mineopoly cards on Lister, it would have brought the episode back full circle. Because the audience saw Lister playing with Rimmer and switching the cards. Whereas we've never seen him play (or cheat) with Cat, so we have to infer he has and it doesn't have the same impact.

7. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

We need clarity!!! :?

8. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

In seriously though has there been any word on if it is today or not?

9. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

My thoughts exactly :x

10. MarilynMonroe

MarilynMonroe Skutter

I've watched this a couple of times now. I really enjoyed it, more than Twentica. I liked the mystery element and trying to guess what was going on exactly. I also liked the structure of it with the flashbacks. It may not have told us any facts that weren't explained by Kryten, but it fleshed out the characters and made them human, actual people. It also added to the mystery, wondering why or how the flashbacks were linked to the present. The transitions between the flashbacks and the present were also really well done, making two seperate timelines feel like part of one story. Like others, I thought Cat's story of how gravy was invented went on a bit too long the first time I watched it, but I didn't mind it so much by the time I watched it the second time.

Which is perhaps why Lister and Cat were trapped together for as long as they were -- the karma drive was punishing Lister for being patient with Cat. Had it been Rimmer trapped with Cat he would've just told Cat exactly what he thought of him and the karma drive perhaps would've let them go, then there would've been no scene.

11. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

You know that's an excellent explanation.

12. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I'm still trying to get my head around that one - the crew didn't survive, acting immorally or otherwise. When Rimmer insulted Kryten in the Karma Drive chamber, the flash heating stopped instantly - why did this not happen for the crew? I can't see how Barker and Green's actions could in any way have repercussions for the others, since punishment seems to be focused on an individual for an individual's behaviour. Unless the moral code in the Karma Drive has been skewed by someone who thinks orgies are a really good thing? Oh, and also strangling. And stabbing. Hmm. Any other theories?!

By the way, the Karma drive is a great prop - surely not built for this episode? Or is it a piece of industrial equipment, perhaps? I like the addition of the eternal knot motifs on the side (which apparently represent Samsara - I looked it up!).

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Probably not and it probably makes sense since today is for the dave showing of samsara and you don't wanna overshadow that by putting up the next episode already

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

It sounds like it may have been taken from another tv show or film production.

Apparently there are some guardians of the galaxy set pieces here and there in this new series, or at least thats what i read somewhere.

I like the idea of the karma drive, its a clever idea that it would be used to encorage team work and kindness towards ship mates to make a better working environment.

15. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I really enjoyed this episode, it was different but I was with it every step of the way. My main negative so far with the new series in general (which isn't really a negative towards the makers of red dwarf) is that the stories and sci fi ideas they have are really genius, and I think they require more time for them to be told in. I get the feeling they have a LOT they are trying to cram into episodes. ive only seen both episodes once and looking forward to the rest of the series which I feel is going to be great based on what's already happened.

16. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I do wonder if they extended the episodes to 40 minutes whether that would answer some of the feedback I've heard recently.

Maybe in the 21st Century we're used to TV shows being longer (most US shows being 40-50 minutes in length).

Then again, some of the extended scenes in Series VII aren't exactly great so maybe it's not a good idea after all.

Though I have seen, more than once, slight confusion over parts of the story (that might have required more explanation) and comments that the episode has ended what has felt to be somewhat suddenly. Maybe 10 minutes is too much. But a 35 minute show would seem odd.

I hope Ep 3 which I expect we'll see tomorrow morning doesn't feel as rushed in parts.

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I dunno if it needed to be longer but it does probably need to be trimmed down abit in areas so other areas can get some work.

18. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

One thing worth mentioning was that the series X bigature was used in this episode when they took the escape pod from the Samsara aboard. It's good to know that still has a practical use in the new episodes.

19. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Rewatching Samsara now. Something amused me. Based on the skeletons, while most of the crew were having an orgy of sex and violence in the control room, two losers were quietly eating their tea in the deserted canteen. I like to think they were looking around, saying, "Gosh - isn't it quiet tonight? You don't think we're... missing out on something... do you?"

20. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The eps are still half an hour long - that's why they're in the same slot as repeats from the BBC era. 30 mins of episode = 40 minute slot.