RDXI Ep 3 - GIVE AND TAKE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

The bit where they found the guy who had 'stabbed himself in the back' felt a bit Back to Reality-ish.

Kry10 that's kind of a good point, hope someone has a decent answer.

2. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Hmmm maybe! Statis Leak was very different though. And , I may regret saying this, this felt funnier !!!

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I assumed they may have been the kidneys of the dead guy lister and cat were looking at, but then he was a skeleton which means the droid must have been holding those kidneys in good shape for a good long time, i dunno...

Hopefully its not just a plot hole doug didn't think about.

4. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Ahhhhhh yes of course, the reason 'present' Lister doesn't have kidneys is because they went back in time and took them because he didn't have kidneys.

Only in Red Dwarf. :-D ITS BACK BABY!

5. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Ahhhhhh yes of course, the reason 'present' Lister doesn't have kidneys is because they went back in time and took them because he didn't have kidneys.

Only in Red Dwarf. :-D ITS BACK BABY!

6. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

That makes more sense

7. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

That makes a lot of sense, I'm happy with that as explanation. :-)

8. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Agree for the most part, I'm a fan of Series 7 but these episodes are the best dwarf since then.

9. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

That was a very enjoyable episode.

Started off quite funny, especially the whole Kryten deleting files and Captain Bollocks. Proper laugh out loud stuff even though you could see what was going to happen.

Then things got tense and scary. Asclepius was a brilliant villain. He was a better villain than anything Doctor Who has done in a while. I hope since he did some sort of hand wavy thing he managed to transport onto Starbug somehow to get away. I would love to see him again.

Then we return to some lighter stuff. I thought Snacky was great. It might have been funny to have him say a few very odd things during Rimmer's therapy session, to get Rimmer to say something he didn't want to, but maybe that wouldn't have worked anyway.

All in all series XI is shaping up like this for me:

1. Samsara
    2. Twentica
    3. Give and Take

10. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

By far one of the best episodes of Red Dwarf I've seen in 20 years and I already can't wait to watch it again - which I might do over lunch!

I actually thought the start wasn't too shabby, but to have it eventually come full circle was very clever. I love Seb P's explanation but my only regret is that this wasn't explained in the episode. Just imagine how funny it would have been to see the realisation that the bonkers medi bot was actually about to have put Lister's kidneys back in if Rimmer and Kryten hadn't intervened, and ultimately saved them from having to go back in time to steal Lister's kidneys in the first place.

Putting that to one side, I think I laughed more at this one than I did Twentica or Samsara. Honestly, best episode for a long time.

Thank you Doug, and all, for such a great series so far.

11. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I have hopes for this two, but I think that's somewhat unprecedented. Then again, we sort of had two polymorphs, and GELFs and rogue simulants are sort of a recurring villain in many ways.

For me:
    1. Give and Take
    2. Samsara
    3. Twentica

I'm literally liking it more as the series goes on.

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

To be fair he looks like he was sowing lister back up just before rimmer and kryten entered.

13. MarilynMonroe

MarilynMonroe Skutter

Just watched it! :-D Normally I'd watch an episode a couple of times before giving my opinion on it but I was able to watch it on a new-ish computer and it seemed to be a better streaming quality than when I watched the last two eps (don't know if it's because I caught it just as it went online and not many other people watching, or the different computer, or if UKTV has improved their player) and since I don't have a TV at the moment, this is the first time I've been able to appreciate the look of RDXI -- it really does look fantastic! That space station looked like it could've come from a Star Trek series. And the locations looked great too.

As for the writing, I didn't like the beginning of it so much, but I'm not really sure why. It just kinda felt like a RDX ep? The writing just reminded me of Entangled a bit, which was one of my least fave from that series and not just because of what happened to Professor Egerton. But from round about the scene between Lister and Cat it improved for me. I enjoyed it more as the ep went on and it made me laugh plenty of times.

Also, it was interesting to see Snacky. At the start of the SFX article there's a group pic standing around a machine and at first I thought the machine was just part of the set but then I had the crazy idea if it might even be a new character; turns out it was Snacky!

Overall, I enjoyed this ep. It's not up there with Twentica or Samsara but then it would be unreasonable to expect every episode to be. And the way the ep came around full circle means that I will probably enjoy the beginning more on a second viewing.

14. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Sod it, watching it again.

15. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

My favourite of the Dave era by a mile. Was an absolutely brilliant episode!

16. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Well I must say I enjoyed that muchly. :-)

It's coming true. It's all coming true! Childhood fantasies in which RD is going strong in the future (ie round about now) with good gags, decent characterisation, quality villains and all looking like a proper sci-fi movie. And it's here. It's arrived! we're in the future - the now - and it's fan-smegging-tastic! :-D

I can see why new merchandise has been released at this time. Based on these three episodes alone they're quite right to have so much faith in the show's continued success. :-)

Anyway, yeah, I feel like a big kid and haven't quite gathered my thoughts yet (can you tell?) so I'll probably come back and say more when I've watched it again.

I agree that it would've been nice to see more of scary dude, but on the other hand I can't think of anything I would've liked to see cut in place of more droidey goodness. Also, I kinda like that Doug left us wanting more. I too would like to see more of that character in a future episode. Perhaps to add some extra creepiness he could glide across the floor a bit like The Gentlemen in the Buffy episode 'Hush', only by means of some sort of hover-boots or something.

*okay, ramble mode cancel* (for now).

17. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

Really enjoyed this one too, it had an almost Series 5 vibe to it, mixed with Series 1/2 music.
    The villain was great and used just enough i think, anymore and it would have been too much.

I liked the time travel concept, and how everything circled around, very clever.
    So far im impressed with Doug's writing and especially the golden era comedy, its such a joy to watch.

18. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

This was obviously the episode from which the storyboard teaser came, interesting how in that it was only Rimmer with the bazookoid.

19. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

This episode was strange, I liked it but it very much felt like a mixing pot of different eras of Red Dwarf all into 1. There were moments in this episode that felt like it was straight out of series V, others that were very series 1 and 2, the Starbug scene felt very series 6, there was a lot of series X and then some of it felt kinda Epideme and Only the Good (except not horrible). I think I will really need to let my feeling on the episode settle before I know how I feel it ranks......I definitely liked it more then Samsara.

20. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I enjoyed this episode, but it's a real shame that they didn't explore this angle. It would have been a superb ending if they'd recognised the implication themselves, and worked out that it was them (rather than Asclepius) who deprived Lister of his kidneys in the first place - by hoiking them a few days forward in time. An "ouroboros" of complete pointlessness, if you like. It would have put the episode up there with Queeg, IMHO, for brilliant pay-offs.

Still - a lot of good stuff in this episode. More to follow when I've caught up with the thread.

EDIT: Mulling this over a bit more... I was coming round to the idea that they simply changed the past, which had consequences for the timeline. In other words, the first time it played out, Lister still had kidneys, which Asclepius removed - but the second time, he must have opened Lister to find his kidneys already gone.

*But* that doesn't work. Lister wouldn't have started the episode with a hangover in that case. The "hangover" was the after effects of surgery. His kidneys were gone when the episode started.

So I guess they really were just a random pair of kidneys, lol.