RDXI Ep 3 - GIVE AND TAKE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Just finished watching it for the second time, and it's probably my fave of this series so far, and I really liked the first two episodes, especially Samsara! The other two episodes had niggly moments that disrupted their awesome flow, but this episode really felt like classic Dwarf from beginning to end. Great opening, made all the better once the plot resolves itself, the most frightening villain in Dwarf history (I wish he'd had more screen time though!), a genius plot, hilarious and smart dialogue, and great interactions between the main characters. This episode also has one thing the first two eps this series were missing: A wholly satisfying and funny ending rounding things off nicely. This could have been in Series V, both in terms of quality, and it's dark atmosphere. I feel now the boys from the dwarf are truly back! xD

2. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

Has anyone noticed during the montage of scenes at the beginning of each episode, theres a shot of Rimmer cowering in what looks like the elevator lift with the pink glow of the lights. It looks like it would fit right in with that scene where the lift go super fast, do you guys think this is a cut scene from this episode or part of another episode?

3. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Only time will tell, sweaty. Only time will tell!

4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

No because if you look at it you can see that Rimmer is glowing blue and doesn't have a H on he head......through the powers of deductive reasoning I believe I already know what episode that is, but I won't say because I might be spoiling something and if I'm wrong I'd just look foolish!

5. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I thought this was the funniest ep of RDXI so far. Major laughs were:

- "And you are?"
    - "Captain Bollocks"
    - "'More talcum power! More talcum powder!' But I didn't *have* any talcum powder!"
    - Numerous chuckles at Snacky

6. Angelic_Storm

My personal fave gag of the episode was this: "Please sir, I am now fluent in all the deceptive arts. I could work for FIFA!" xD

7. Ant E

I liked that one!

But also the bit where Kryten kept saying the cat was fine when he was asking about himself

8. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I nearly gave the FIFA gag a "dishonorable mention". I didn't like it at all.

9. Ant E

why???

10. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I literally groaned out loud. It was just like a really lame attempt to be topical.

11. SweatyChimpBoy

Ah very good! I bow to your superior detective skills lol

12. Angelic_Storm

Again, I thought the Cat had a major part to play in this episode, and I'm really enjoying him being a much more prominent character in this series so far, especially in the past two episodes. I've always felt throughout most of the series' lifetime, he's been less prominent than the other 3 main characters. But he's really coming into his own in this new series, and I hope it continues!

13. BetterAnythingThanThatToupee

BetterAnythingThanThatToupee Third Technician

Hmm ... I really liked this one. But. It was frustrating all the same.

The Good Points:

1. Tempered performances! Chris has got Rimmer back! Lister is sounding more like Lister. I’m happy about this.

2. Lighting and make up on Rimmer and Lister (yes, including Rimmer’s hair – nicely wavy and less recessed this episode) — the best they’ve looked since the late 90s. They no longer look decades older than both Craig and Chris do in real life. Whatever they did, they got it right this time!

3. Some very nice Rimmer moments — played out to near perfection by Chris (especially the therapy session and the 'shaft' line -- classic, and very nicely done).

4. Lister’s costume/wardrobe — easily the best since the series came back. The more casual ‘slob in space’ look really works, and it makes Lister look younger than he has in recent memory.

The Bad Points:

1.‘Captain Bollocks’ and ‘Rimshot’. Just made me wince (and an icy shudder ran up my spine, not because of 'spilled lager', but due to the satanic and vile memory of the ghost of series VIII).

2. Apart from the first 10 minutes and some slight grins towards the end, I didn’t really laugh too much -- but that's not really that big a deal.

3. The hideous music queue that made one whole sequence play out like something out of a dodgy Nu Who Christmas episode (staring Matt Smith and possibly made for CBBC). It was Tim Burton’s Nightmare Before Narnia’s Doctor Christmas-Hands. The tone of this sequence was jarring to say the least.

269. The Snack Bot gag would’ve worked so much better if Doug had saved the reveal until the end (i.e. we – the audience -are not in on it while Rimmer’s having his therapy session and Lister is being prepped for surgery). It should've been 'the long wind up', and it would've worked, too.

Like I said — I found it frustrating, but only because it really had the potential to be so much more.

EDIT:

Just had a 2nd watch, with company, and I enjoyed it much more this time. The cast (bar Danny, who was still fine in my opinion) really looked like you could’ve plucked them out of the tail end of the 90s, which is something I haven’t been able to say since BTE. For whatever reason, the wardrobe, lighting, and make up depts were spot on for the characters this time around.

As a few others have pointed out: again, a lot of references directly, indirectly, and in tone to series gone by. It gives it quite a muddled feel in a way. It’s a shame that Doug didn’t say ‘I’m gonna make a series IV style episode, a series II style episode, and a series V style episode’, instead of just mashing them all together.

Also — have to agree with the running order thought: this felt like episode one to me. If this is the case, and it was in fact switched because the network wanted a ‘more expensive looking’ opener, I hope they’ll reconsider for the blu ray release.

Anyhow, it’s gone from ‘frustrating due to it’s own potential’ to ‘best of the three’ for me.

14. Slainmonkey

Well we already know that the season finale is a Cat centric episode, so I think we don't have much to worry about there. Much like how series V was very Rimmer focused, series XI is very Cat focused.

15. Angelic_Storm

Yep, I can't wait for that one! I have a feeling the part in the intro montage where Cat is dressed in pink and firing guns is going to be from the last episode of the series. He really is standing out in this series, and it's great to see. :-)

@Betteranythingthanthattoupee: Totally agreed about the "Captain Bollocks" stuff. The "rimshot" bit in particular, was flirting with Series VIII territory there! It was the only blot on an otherwise perfect episode.

16. _Pree_

_Pree_ Skutter

Loved this episode :-)
    Btw, is this the first time we seen anyone but Kryten using the Psi-scan?

17. Slainmonkey

This was the first episode to feature Bazookoids since series VII……something that doesn’t seem to be getting talked about!

18. SweatyChimpBoy

Im quite impressed Rimmer stood and fought, instead of running away. Even if he did use Kryten as a human shield lol

19. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Keep watching buddy, we'll find out soon.

20. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

It was borderline heroic (in Rimmer terms anyway) since he wasn't even trying to save his own skin there but genuinely was rescuing Lister and Cat... even if he was doing it from behind a humanoid shield!