RDXI Ep 3 - GIVE AND TAKE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Sep 29, 2016.

1. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Hate to sy ot but i didnt like this one.....not one hint of a laugh.

My problems with it were basically to do with childish unfunny jokes. Captain bollocks was out of place, snacky was a poor addition who i seriously hope we never see again, the baddy had potential the mask and main outfit had peomise but the gangly arms made it looknlile a man in a suit. The end was even more abrupt than last week. As someone else pointed out a better edit probably would have helped massivly. After the joy of samsara i am hugly dissapointed bybthis one...... Will hve to watch again to be sure tho lol

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I can see why there is so much confusion over the kidney thing as when rimmer and kryten walked in it did look liked the medibot was sowing lister up and then of course you see some kidneys in a jar thing so its understandable questions would be asked.

Doug probably had an idea in his head at the time what was going on with everything there but forgot to actually explain it to the audience.

IMO they shouldn't have shown the kidneys in the jar, that was the mistep of the whole thing, doug may have felt it was important or it was there for one gag about rimmer and friendly fire but still... shouldn't have been there.

3. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Maybe Doug didn't think people would over analyse and nit-pick at the silliest of things??!! :roll:

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It's certainly interesting how these episodes seem to polarise people. Pretty much everyone who loved Samsara seems to have not enjoyed this one, yet those of us who disliked Samsara as a series VII style effort seem to be highly rating Give & Take.

Not one hint of a laugh, though...oh dear. I feel bad for you but also kind of confused. I understand when people make comments like this about absolute stinkers like Pete Part 2 or Dear Dave but this was so similar to so much of classic Dwarf I'm amazed to read that you couldn't find a single joke to laugh at.

I'm also finding the negative reaction to the word 'Bollocks' surprising (as, no doubt are the people who already printed all of those t-shirts) How exactly is this out of place in a show that references 'smeg' in every episode, talks about "twatting" monsters, has discussion about double polaroids and service droids using groinal attachments to do the hoovering?

Course, earthy humour has always been as much of a motif in the show as its smart sci-fi concepts and nuanced characters.

5. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

To be fair i watched this morning with a monster of a hangover lol...... I think the bollocks is ok....but it needed some context. Kryten still struggles to lie and call folk smeghead but had made a folder called captain bollocks? As someone else said if lister had hinted he renamed it then that would make sense. My other gripe is that once again we seem to have descended into parody. Red dwarf to me was never slastick and didnt need joke charactets with silly voices....but hogey, snacky, the medi bot, the vending machines..... To me it seems that red dwarf is now doing exactly that. Plus i know snacky was supposed to be a nod to sci fi past but his over all look and feel was totally out of place......

6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Can we please stop tiptoeing around the fact that there is no Milton Keynes phone number on Snacky's back.

[​IMG]

7. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Absolutely fantastic, Series XI keeps getting better. This episode is amongst the best and funniest Red Dwarf I've ever seen!!

8. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Maybe it's because I've eaten too much food today and am feeling a bit emotional, but can I just say how much I'm loving these threads. We've had some good, interesting chat about the new shows without a hint of acrimony. Long may it continue!

9. magnetiser

magnetiser Third Technician

Hear, hear! :-)

10. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Seems unlikely.

11. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Yes, I agree. It's much neater if they infer that the mad medibot organ-napped the kidneys, simply because they're gone.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

For me, it would have to be of Terrorfom and Inquisitor standard to get an 8, and I don't think Give or Take reaches those heights.

13. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Lister had four kidneys. The Dwarfers stole two, Aesclepius stole two. Now he has two.

14. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I think that watching this series so far it shows there has been genuine character development from Rimmer with regards what happened in "The Beginning", he seems to be braver then he has been in the past. He seems less inclined to run away, as seen in both "Twentica" where he wanted to go after the Exponoids and this episode where he want on the offensive with Asclepius, and normally in the past he'd just run away! Though even with his new found bouts of heroics, his still got elements of his past cowardice like using Kryten to shield himself from projectiles......either way there seems to have been some change in Rimmer!

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Ironically people say Rimmer seems more braver this series but honestly him barely putting any thought into what was going on before grabbing kryten as a human shield and shooting at wildly at the bot didn't really make me think he was any braver, infact he was kinda lucky he didn't hit lister or cat who were on the table infront of him ;p

We have rarely seen Rimmer with a bazookoid actually, he had one in Rimmer World, Out of time and used one in Stoke me a Clipper to bravely taken down the guy with the sword ;p

16. Slainmonkey

I never said Rimmer is legitimately brave now....but this is the guy who in the past would have run away, he to a degree stood his ground which is something new for him.

17. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

So, for all of you waiting with rancid, bating breath, what did I think of Give & Take? Having only watched it the once, I thought it was good. Not as good as Samsara, but better than Twentica. This is more my flavour of Dwarf than the more fast-paced Twentica.

There were some good jokes, some bits which had me sniggering. Captain Bollocks was a good one, though I never thought Kryten would disrespect Rimmer in such a way - but it worked so I'll let it slide. The Milton Keynes dialling code was also pretty good, and Snacky mostly worked. The time travel stuff was okay (hey, didn't we have a time travel episode recently?) and Asclepius was better than I thought he'd be.

Which sadly isn't saying much, as the rather sinister droid was criminally underused. His costume, for the most part, seemed a bit naff (apart from the mask) but the voice and mannerisms were great. Shame he kicked it pretty quickly in a Starbug escape, which also didn't look great - just seemed to be Starbug on a backdrop. So far, series 11 has had some pretty amazing model sequences and also some naff ones. But Starbug leaving an exploding hangar in Demons & Angels (and again in Rimmerworld) has hardly been touched since.

I do perhaps think that the episode could have done without the lift - that left a bit of a sour series 8 taste in my mouth. But other than that, if I were giving Twentica a 6/10, and Samsara 8/10, Give & Take would get a 7/10 - possibly more after the obligatory rewatch.

So far I am definitely enjoying series 11 - like 10, but better. It'll be interesting to see what I think compared to older Dwarf as I don't really think I can compare them at the moment.

18. Slainmonkey

I still don't get why so many people really loved Samsara so much, I find it to be a pretty mixed bag of an episode....infact it's been the only one I haven't been all that fond of. Infact I found this episode and Twentica to be really solid episodes in different ways. Twentica to me was a fast paced adventure that wouldn't feel too out of place in series 6, and I feel Give and Take felt like series 10 done right and an evolution of Doug's recent style of writing....Samsara to me, just sorta exists.

Twentica - 8
    Samsara - 5
    Give and Take - 8

If I like the rest of this series as much as I did with Twentica and Give and Take, I will feel this could a really solid batch of episodes.

19. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'm scratching my head too. My feelings about the 3 episodes we've seen so far have pretty much matched yours. I'm equally baffled by the running order that has been chosen.

Give and Take was the first episode recorded, it properly sets up/reintroduces the characters and their traits in a way that a series should after a couple of years away (or to aid viewers) and it's THE BEST DAMN RED DWARF EPISODE SINCE SERIES 6...(cough) sorry, I lost my objectivity for a moment there but seriously I'm baffled by the decision to screen the ropey Samsara before this instant classic. Perhaps they are trying to space out the strong shows with the weaker ones...which hopefully doesn't mean Officer Rimmer will be a let down. Or perhaps they thought a less busy episode better spaced out the two episodes it seperated. Personally that only really matters to me in terms of binge watching the show not with weekly episodic television.

I think I almost would have liked Samsara more if we'd had the double whammy of Twentica and Give and Take together had me on a super high vibe. Perhaps being disappointed by Samsara coloured my view of Give and Take....but I doubt it. I really do rate it as an instant classic.

20. Slainmonkey

It took me a second watch to fully appreciate Give and Take. I like it but much of it felt like a strong series X episode to me, I'd have probably given it a 7 on first viewing. However giving it another go it dawned on me how well written it actually was, really what series X SHOULD have been!