RDXI Ep 3 - GIVE AND TAKE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Questions for Snacky:

Why was there only one skeleton aboard the space-station, when presumably lots of other people worked there too.
    Why did the staff at the space-station leave his body lying on the floor decomposing instead of clearing it away.

2. hugzinator

hugzinator Third Technician

I don't know how they've done it after all these years but somehow they've absolutely nailed it! That was the best episode of Red Dwarf in a very long time. Possibly since series 6. Made me so happy that it's back on form. I was cracking up at so many parts and it just felt like the show should. Amazing to have some real quality Red Dwarf back and even more to come.

3. Underdunn

Underdunn Second Technician

I doubt Snacky knows. I get the impression he was just hanging around the medical suite for millions of years waiting for someone to buy some pretzels. Asclepius is probably the one to ask, since he probably spent millions of years messing about with all the corpses. Unfortunately he's blown up now so I'm afraid your s.o.o.l :-(

4. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Good question. I've been mulling this one over myself. I don't have any ideas yet.

5. Underdunn

Underdunn Second Technician

Its all paradox logic really isn't it? The normal rules don't apply. That crew member isn't even actually technically dead - he's trapped in an endless cycle at two ends of a time loop that pretty much only contains him (and possibly Snacky, who apparently witnessed it) - he's murdering himself, warning himself, murdering himself, warning himself and so on and so on, over and over again. The fact his death keeps occuring at one end of the loop means he can't break it (the way Lister breaks his by surviving). Going by established Dwarf rules when it comes to this sort of thing, each time the loop occurs it creates an alternative universe... An endless number of them... forever. The Dwarfers have wound up in one where, for whatever reason, nobody ever found the body before the station was shut down... Or they did but they were due to go home and nobody could be arsed with the paper-work!

It's either that or Doug didn't bother thinking about it. :lol:

6. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

OK, this is my explanation for the body thing (I didn't consider the paradoxical element myself, I'd find that too confusing).

Asclepius is alerted as soon as Gonzalez dies and goes to find him (bringing his file for reference), meaning to return him to the medical suite for the autopsy. The rest of the space station crew (perhaps there aren't actually that many of them) then discover Asclepius in the act of removing the body, but assume he murdered Gonzalez as there is literally no one else on board who could have done it. They certify Asclepius 'insane', shut him down and are ordered to leave the station because it is against company policy for the crew not to have access to medical treatment. Gonzalez's body is left in place to be examined by the replacement medi-droid, who the crew have now gone to collect. Unfortunately (and conveniently) a great disaster befalls their ship and no one ever returns to the space station. Many centuries later, Snacky is a bit bored of being alone, so reboots Asclepius for company - only he really has gone a bit mad now.

Bit convoluted, maybe!

I love Snacky by the way, he's so polite and eager to please - for some reason he reminds me of Percy in Thomas the Tank Engine (particularly when he gets all puffed up with his own importance!)

7. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

At the start where Rimmer is arguing with the lift, I was very happy to see a 'Skutter' but I am surprised no one has mentioned the return of a real skutter yet.

I also love the scene where they first find 'Snacky' What a great set, it looks like a Nuclear power station or an old NASA control room. Is this a real location or was it a stage set?

8. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I've been meaning to ask about this; I was very impressed by it. It seemed to me like it must have been on location somewhere. If not, then it's even more impressive.

9. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Just finished watching Give and Take... and I really, really enjoyed it. The first half was great and had a great mix of comedy and action. The monster was goofy in a way but at the same time very effective. Rimmer (AKA Captain Bollocks!) was hilarious throughout the episode, as was Cat with everything he had to do as well. And you know what? Lister and Rimmer were great too! The story was great, the guest characters were great (love Snacky, wonder where he is now...) and it was funny. Best Red Dwarf episode of XI so far, the series is going from strength to strength.

Only a couple of negatives (I'm a pedant, I have to look for them). I didn't like the Rimmer counselling scene/montage (though I do appreciate it's purpose and the "pay-off" later on in the episode). And the ending was... I don't really know how to describe it. It wasn't rushed like Twentica or flat like Samsara... I suppose maybe I was hoping for bigger ending to round off a fantastic episode.

My rating: 8 out of 10. If the episodes this series keep getting better, Series XI's gonna be a guaranteed classic.

I'm so glad Red Dwarf is back!

10. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Great name even greater name!!! :lol:

11. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

12. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Reminder that so long as you don't put details in thread titles, you can now create separate topics about Give & Take (and Twentica and Samsara) aside from this one!

13. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Ha, cheers! :-)

It's great that the series has been received so well. Doug should be proud. It felt like a long time between series' X and XI, but it was worth the wait!

14. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

It was filmed at Fawley Power Station - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawley_Power_Station
    The Asclepius Suite was filmed in the Control room.

15. squeal mold

squeal mold Flight Co-Ordinator

Now this was better. Classic dwarfesque. No overly long jokes, that aren't really funny, perhaps the rimmer psyche scene dragged on a bit, a good story, though I didn't like snacky, and best of all a return of a skutter! Better than previous weeks, by no means up to the hype I've read about it, but still pretty good.

16. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

My guess is that if you don't care for Snacky then it's going to affect you view on the episode. Personally I really liked Snacky, slightly goofy voice aside he is played like a real character rather then just a one off joke, like some of series X's guest characters. I also I really like his eager to please, slightly insecure about himself personality. Infact one thing that I liked about this episode was how much focus it put into character moments, something I feel like Samsara attempted but failed at.

.....also I like the scene with Rimmer's therapy session, it wasn't a scene we would typically see in Red Dwarf but it was funny and I felt it fit well. It did make me feel like this should have remained the series opener.

17. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Thanks for the info Jo, I thought it looked like some sort of power station.

18. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

So did Kryten put a dialysis chip in Lister when he already had one in him? So Lister has two dialysis chips in him at the end? How does that work, does that mean Lister is bursting with infinity dialysis chips inside him because every time the loop happens he gets an extra dialysis chip.

19. percyP

percyP Third Technician

Really enjoyed this episode, but did anyone else think Kryten's face looked very odd?

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I can't remember if Kryten mentioned putting another dialysis chip into the younger Lister at the time they took out his kidnies. After all he knew that he would place one in him when they first learn his kidnies were taken anyway, and a person can survive a while without kidnies/dialisis treatment.

Regardless, the most amount of chips Lister would have in his body would be two, since the younger Lister has no chips in his body before his kiddies are removed. From his point of view, the kidnies only get removed once.

I enjoyed this episode a lot. The best one of the new series so far, I think. (I haven't seen Officer Rimmer yet.) It was very funny, and had a great science fiction story.

People keep saying that these episodes are the best Red Dwarf since Series 6 (or 7 for some), with good reason. I would go further and say, this episode is equal in quality with many episodes in the earlier series, and might even be better than some.