RDXI Ep 4 - OFFICER RIMMER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

This is the official thread for discussion of the content of the episode OFFICER RIMMER. Once the episode has appeared on UKTV Play (and NOT before), this thread may be used to discuss any and all elements of the episode. Anyone who has not seen the episode who enters this thread does so at their own risk!

Until the episode airs on Dave, you may continue to discuss it in other threads (as well as here), but only in relation to officially-released information. Once it has aired on Dave, it can be discussed in any thread in the "Red Dwarf XI Chat" conference, but you may not put plot details in thread titles.

For more information on the spoiler policy, please read this thread.

2. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

After a scandalous piece of good fortune Rimmer saves the life of a bio-printed Captain and is promoted, fulfilling his life-long dream of becoming an Officer. He immediately opens an Officer's club, which is out of bounds to the lower orders, and uses the bio-printer to fill it with versions of himself.

Sounds interesting. The synopsis makes me think it could be similar to Rimmerworld from Series VI. I wonder how long it will take for the Rimmer clones to make the club out of bounds to Officer Rimmer? :lol:

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Me2 also springs to mind. We've already had two episodes where Rimmer clones himelf, you'd think he'd have learned his lesson.

4. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Me2 of course...

5. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

Wonder if Rob Grant is watching!

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm looking forward to this one as I usually like Rimmer-based episodes, mainly because Chris Barrie is such a wonderful actor. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

7. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

Indeed

8. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Saw this one recorded, looking forward to seeing the finished article.

9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I doubt it....Rob Grant said that he doesn't watch Red Dwarf after he left, because it's like seeing his ex-girlfriend sleeping with other people.

10. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

And its live.

11. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

And its live.

12. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Ha, how bizarre, they cut out the first 5 minutes and replaced it with a bit of dialogue in starbug. Quite a relevant/important part has been cut. They also cut my favourite joke.

13. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I hear some scenes were reshoot and moved to series 12 episodes because Doug thought they would fit better in a different episode. I heard this happened at least twice according to some set reports, so maybe that happened here!

14. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Didn't mean to be negative when talking about the cut stuff, liked the episode, its just the whole promotion/demotion and 'technician 2.0' stuff would have made more sense.

I like how this was more of a fun/silly episode after the slightly more serious stuff in the previous episodes.

15. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Can't watch until late tonight; apart from the cuts how does it compare to the rest of XI so far?

16. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

It feels a little different, a bit more silly and slaptick which is no bad thing, you need variety. Its probably my 4th favourite so far but that's just a tribute to how great the other 3 episodes are.

17. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Just finished watching it, and I think this is the weakest episode in the new series so far. I'll watch it again of course, to see if my opinion improves on repeated viewing, but in terms of first impressions, I think the previous 3 episodes where much stronger when I saw them for the first time. Oh, and the ending is the most abrupt of this series so far as well.

18. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

I'm really enjoying Rimmer showing his old personality this season: his weasel-like behaviours; old and familiar smug expressions; his use of the old insults. Overall he is in my opinion close to if not back on form.

This was an entertaining episode with some good moments throughout. The background music in the officer club :-D

However, and this is a huge however, there is something seriously wrong with the ending in this episode. I know previous episodes have been abrupt but this one is so shocking I'm dumbfounded.

19. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Give And Take is so far, the only episode of this series to have a wholly satisfying ending. But this episode has perhaps the most abrupt and least satisfying ending in the whole Dwarf canon.

20. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Yes I agree about the ending, in fact that's even more abrupt then at the recording, I was actually looking forward to the special effects of the Rimmer beast being blown up. Hey-ho, pip and dandy.