RDXI Ep 4 - OFFICER RIMMER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

I wholeheartedly agree with you that this is probably the least satisfying in the entire cannon. I just don't understand what the decision was. Surely an explosion would have sufficed? Adding more creative thought, maybe a part of a printed Rimmer's face could fall onto the head real Rimmer to look like that captain - as crap as that is it's surely better than nothing!

Urghh!

2. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

It's like if Polymorph had ended at the moment Lister threw the lager can into the curry monster's mouth (minus even the explosion), or Justice ending as the simulant is taking his dying breath. Terrible ending.

3. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

I enjoyed the way it started off, but as the show progressed it went off in a direction I wasn't really hoping for. There were a couple of genuinely funny moments for me, namely the idea of a Lister-scouser-call-centre.

4. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

OUCH!!! I was loving that episode... then it just stopped. This was the weirdest cut-off ending yet. Why does this keep happening? It's as if the show can't handle the loss of three minutes that Dave-era ad breaks inflict on it.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I actually wish the majority of the episode had been about the bio-printed Rimmers as watching Chris being several casual Rimmers never gets boring and the Rimmer monster was very dark of the result of the bio-printer which i liked.

But Rimmers promotion and resigning was rushed and unconvincing, Rimmer just saying he resigns hits the reset button, Doug sets up these ambitous ideas and has to conclude it as quick as possible

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

The ad break actually does nothing since Dave have let the episodes be 30 minutes long anyway, its just the lack of editing IMO, even the most ambitious episodes in the past have been trimmed down to 30 minutes or less.

7. Underdunn

Oh is that right? So they're actually still 30 minutes long? *checks* well blow me, so they are. That one was 29 actually but let's not split hairs. Well that's even weirder then. Mr Naylors obviously just forgotten how to condense everything as expertly as he used to. ...or maybe he never wanted to cut and edit stuff in the old days but didn't have the power to over-rule back then...?

I really did like the episode up until the point where it didn't finish though. Kudos to them for addressing the question fans have been asking since hearing the synopsis too - acknowledging that Rimmer hadn't forgotten what had happened in ME2 and Rimmer-world but believed he could get round the problem by out-ranking his clones. Which actually makes perfect sense.

Ropey effects for the monster of course - looked like something the Boosh would have cobbled together... But as ever the split-screen work was beyond perfect. I've seen high budget movies mess that up more than Dwarf does.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Well he is Director and Writer so no Rob grant or Ed bye insight. its pretty much all on him for this one.

9. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

After taking a breather from that ending I do have to feedback that this was a very entertaining episode in terms of plot and gags.

Performance from Chris was top notch throughout. The multiple Rimmers scene in the officers club was very well done - I loved the Mr sandman moment and even more so the background music of 'He's Arnold' playing faintly.

Good episode that could have benefited from ANY form of wrap up.

10. BetterAnythingThanThatToupee

BetterAnythingThanThatToupee Third Technician

Sad to say, but I didn't like this one at all, and in fact, I think it was probably the worst of the Dave era so far (and I was looking forward to this one the most). It started off badly with overly broad performances, and then just when it seemed like the performances were coming together and they were back on Red Dwarf ... well ... I should probably re-watch before I post more. But a definite thumbs down from me at the moment(and what seemed like a wasted opportunity for some real character humour overpowered by broad acting and an emphasis on the silly). And as for that ending ... I was waiting for 'to be continued...' to pop up on screen.

11. Angelic_Storm

Just about to watch it again over a spot of lunch. Hopefully my opinion of it will improve on the second viewing. That ending will always be woeful though.

12. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

I felt as if Rimmer should have been more ecstatic about his promotion, the haves and have nots was done pretty good, I think they missed a trick with mayby trying to print half the fitness ball lady and it fails to print with only a pair of legs printed, I feel the episodes could do with an additional 5 to 10 minutes, the run time on the blueray indicates we have no extra minutes, overall thus was the weekest episode of a great bunch, and I agree the ending was not great,
    Overall some good jokes just episode felt a bit rushed. Bit strange why none of the saluting rimmers did the rimmer salute, anyway great sets, lighting and music epically the classy lift music. Great
    Job

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Proper review coming later, but I'll just say that I really liked that. I thought it was brilliant. That ending was weirdly abrupt though, wasn't it?

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I don't think it needed to be an extra 10 minutes, in general it just needed to have a slight trim down and be more compacted.

Just look at gunmen of the apocalypse, alot happens in that episode and it fits in 30 minutes fine.

I am assuming there is nothing doug wanted to cut out of these episodes and so they go on abit longer then they need too.

15. MarilynMonroe

MarilynMonroe Skutter

That... that was definitely the most bonkers ep of XI so far. :lol:

The abrupt ending was just weird, I wasn't sure if it was a glitch with the player or not. Didn't like it. Apart from that, it's still a very good episode, not my favourite of XI so far but made me laugh more than the others and it's good that they have a range of different types of ep. I look forward to rewatching without struggling to watch it over wifi with buffering.

He always has a pen! :lol:

I saw an ep of XII being recorded and I'd read afterwards that there had been a joke in that which had previously been in XI. I noticed a reference to a joke from that ep in this, so yes I'm pretty sure that is what happened. I'm guessing that Pember's favourite joke cut from this ep and my favourite joke from that XII ep are one and the same.

Perhaps they cut it for time, given how abrupt the ending was!

16. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Maybe yes. In this episode literally the first 5 minutes have been removed, pretty weird.

17. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

That Red Dwarf episode was mostly great......infact I'd even say it was an ending away from being brilliant, unfortunately it literally didn't have an ending!

18. Angelic_Storm

Just finished my second viewing. I did enjoy the episode more the second time around, though it's not challenging Give And Take as best ep of the season so far.

The opening to the episode isn't great, and the flying/sex gag started well, but the punchline fell flat. The genome printer was a stroke of genius, and Rimmer really returned to his ultra-weasley best. The funniest part ironically though, had nothing to do with Rimmer. The whole bit about Lister selling his genome for a pittance, and thousands of hims running call centres was hilarious. That scene ended masterfully too, with Kryten helping Lister to destroy the genome database, all the while verbally refusing to do so. Kryten at his best! :-)

The Rimmer monster didn't look particularly great, and looked a bit off, considering how tippity top the new series has looked so far. The bit about "I always carry a pen" was very funny though, and a nice throwback to early Dwarf. Talking of that, I also liked how the previous encounters with multiple Rimmers was aluded to.

The ending is terrible, and is the worst aspect of the episode. Overall, this episode is clearly a cut above the weaker episodes in the Dwarf canon, but after the glorious Give And Take, it did bring this series down slightly. Unless the last two eps of this Series are awful though, Series XI is going to be, by quite a margin, the strongest set of Dwarf episodes since Series VI. :-)

19. Underdunn

No mention of the word 'Rim' being cheerfully and obliviously sung over and over again by the acappella Rimmers yet I notice? :lol:

20. Angelic_Storm

The look on Lister's face when they start doing that is priceless! lol :-)