RDXI Ep 4 - OFFICER RIMMER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Rimmer's a hologram, so why did he need them to open the door. Why couldn't he just go to softlight.

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Well plot convenience

3. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Never thought about that, that's a very good question! I can only think that the "grunts" area was programmed so that only they could enter it. But then, Rimmer was able to access the grunt's lift while still an officer, so that seems to put paid to that theory.

4. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Well, yeah, apart from the abrupt ending which could have been improved upon RDXI is just getting better and better with each episode. There seems to be a lot of people that didn't like this episode but I really enjoyed it, I had tears with laughing at the first bio print-out when his paper jam caused his head to be printed all crumpled. The multiple Rimmers (in the officers club)were done really well and the Mr Sandman quartet was so funny.

Ok a little silly but so far my favourite episode of this series so far, if the last two are up to the same standard we have had so far then I'm gonna be happy. :-)

5. james3325

james3325 Second Technician

Absolutely brilliant episode had me dying with laughter:lol: This series just gets better and better.

6. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I really really enjoyed this one. I thought it felt like a mash of series 4-5 and 6, loved the Rimmer Monster too.

The jokes seemed much more hit than miss, they were delivered calmly and not hammy which separates this season from X.

All in all i thought it was a very strong episode and could easily have fitted into an earlier "golden era" series.

The ending was a tad abrupt, and could have done with a mere minute longer to get a reaction from Rimmer about the whole affair.

8/10 for me :-D

7. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

This would have been my favourite episode if it didn't pull a Soprano's with the ending......thankfully in this case though, it's not the final episode. Still I think that ending really let down an episode that was by and large a really fun and ambitious episode, and I appreciate seeing Dwarf go down the Body Horror road.

8. Angelic_Storm

Ranking the episodes I've seen so far:

Twentica - 7 1/2
    Samsara - 8
    Give And Take - 9
    Officer Rimmer - 8

If the last 2 episodes continue this standard, I'd say this Series is what Series VII should have been.

9. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

brilliant!! loved it - but please please please PLEASE stop the abrupt endings!!!

10. Angelic_Storm

Yep. It makes it all the more frustrating that the episodes themselves overall, have been of such a high standard. Give And Take is the only Series XI ending which has been satisfying so far.

11. Slainmonkey

For me I would rank the episodes so far as:

Twentica - 8
    Samsara - 5
    Give And Take - 8
    Officer Rimmer - 7? (might be higher is that ending stops bugging me as much as it does now)

12. Angelic_Storm

I toyed with the idea of giving it a 7 as well for exactly that reason. I think 8 is a bit generous, but so much of the rest of the episode is of a very good standard. I would say it's an 8 if you ignore the ending, and 7 if you include it.

13. Slainmonkey

Yeah, that ranking is definitely subject to change, but that ending.......

I do like that Doug is seemingly more willing to take Red Dwarf down bizarre roads again to the point it becomes somewhat surreally comedic. From what I heard from the set reports, that seems to be a road that series XII travels down more. Much of the time series X felt like Doug was really playing it safe, but this series he really seems to be running with his imagination more.

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Well, a few of you seem pretty negative towards this episode but, a few weaker moments aside, I liked it a lot. My taste always seems to be the reverse of everyone else's - this is my second favourite episode of the season so far, just behind Twentica, but it seems most others favour episodes 2 and 3.

Various thoughts:
    • Once again, the acting in this episode was a great improvement on recent seasons, and Barrie was on top form. Rimmer episodes always need a strong performance from Barrie, and once again he was great.
    • A shame about that sex dream conversation. It was far too season 8.
    • I've no idea how the effects people created the multiple Rimmers but it looked amazing, especially in the officers' club, which I wish we'd seen more of. I can't wait for the DVD to see how this episode was put together.
    • I didn't like the stuff about call centres and 'smart-arsed Scousers'. I'm guessing it was a lot funnier to those who have encountered them (which I haven't)?
    • The third act reminded me of DNA which also had a rampaging monster being randomly created - and that multi-headed Rimmer was terrifying!
    • As soon as I saw the bizarrely abrupt ending I knew it was going to be the main talking point on here. What happened there? Did they run out of money? Did they run out of ideas? A blank screen and a dubbed on explosion would have been better. Still abrupt, but it would have been considerably better than what we got.

Funniest line:

Lister: "Yeah, one look at you and even the Elephant Man would wanna jump in his mum and dad's bed."

Overall: A few bad points aside, this was a wonderfully entertaining and farcical episode. And Barrie was on top form again.

Rating: 8/10

Ant E likes this.
  15. Angelic_Storm

It was like Twentica's ending, in that it was a total anti-climax, but it was even worse due to the highly abrupt nature of it. Samsara's ending was at least funny, and the episode came back full cricle in a way. But it was too abrupt. I think a reason why Give And Take is my fave new episode so far, is that flows very well from beginning to end. The other 3 have their flows disrupted due to slight inconsistencies.

Series X was very hit and miss. But it did in parts, show a lot of promise that the show could be great again. Especially "The Beginning" which was really classic stuff for me. This new series is bursting with imagination much more, you're right. I wish we didnt have to wait till next year for Series XII! Hopefully it will at least be shown near the beginning of the year, since its already recorded. lol

16. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

While the Rimmer-clones-himself motif is feeling worn out after Me2, Rimmerworld and now this, I enjoyed that it was a light-hearted mental episode aboard the ship and they weren't saving the world, they were just getting themselves into trouble with their own pissing about. A couple of niggles were the abrupt ending, and Kryten's usual "best guess" exposition. The sex-joke at the start was tedious. The only plot hole I noticed first time around (aside from "why can't Rimmer just do the nice corridor stuff anyway since they run the ship") was Rimmer needing them to open the door when he's a hologram.

Although I do want to know what was going on with Lister & Cat watching TV three million years in the future when humans don't exist. I assume that any TV we see must be old recordings, but Lister was talking about channels, packages, and changing channels like it was actual TV. Then Rimmer blocked the channels. How does that work. Is this a TV signal that Red Dwarf is recieving from three million years ago? How do they have a package? We've seen Lister watch recordings before, but we've never seen him change channels. I get that it's a joke about Lister only having silly channels left, but it should still make sense within the programme's premise. Similarly, what was all that stuff about Lister's clones working in call centres when it's three million years in the future and call centres don't exist. They both talked about it in the present tense, and I didn't think a Scouser joke was worth the confusion.

17. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

The ending cutoff for this was weird. Felt like there was a missing bit of SFX where the creature blew apart.

18. Slainmonkey

I don't hate series X, I liked about half of it truth be told....which probably put's it around the quality of series VII for me (though still slightly better). Series X is actually an odd beast because it felt like it was trying to be a reintroduction to the show, trying to please old fans while also trying to work as a starting point for those who never say it before....and that I feel held it back a lot. There was a lot of trying to catch new viewers up to the point that many of it's ideas never took off in the way they should. Though it still would have been better had it not been for all the production problems.

I feel that series XI has been a lot more free flowing with it's ideas and Doug has really run with them. However I can't help but feel that these abrupt endings (particularly this episode) are a product of Doug not having Rob Grant to help round off the scripts. They are both talented people but I suspect it always will be a case that they worked better together. Still while not perfect, Doug is giving us some of the most imaginative comedy on TV at the moment, and that is always deserving of praise!

19. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

could it be that the last ep of X had an abrupt ending and a huge laugh (but the difference was that it was a way to get out of explaining the season 8 ending) and now Doug thinks that abrupt endings get big laughs? just a thought?

20. Slainmonkey

Maybe Doug is a fan of the way Soprano's ended!