RDXI Ep 4 - OFFICER RIMMER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Lord knows! The continuity is all over the place with that one! It's worth noting that the only time we've seen Rimmer flip from hard-light to soft-light in order to walk through a door was in series X - and at that point Kryten also had to rework some kind of remote-control in order to turn him on again. So I guess there is some precedent for it not being as simpler process as it sounds.

2. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

and dont get me started about what happened to his light bee!!!!! lol

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

The Rimmer-monster "absorbing" the other Rimmers was a bit weak. It was never explained how or why it was doing that. Just, "oh, it's absorbing them, of course".

4. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

*head continuity mode*... Fell to the floor just off camera mate, that's all. Fell to the floor when he went through the door. Yeah. That'll do. Whipped back up into him when he came out again. :P

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Kryten did, something about all Rimmers negative personality traits mashed together multiple times rewrote how he works on a cellular level, because he was built up of programmable stem cells.

6. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

Willing to bet Doug was trying to go for a Bottom-like ending gag. It works on a conceptual level, but the episode should have ended on the very frame the bazookoid fire hits the creature. With the ep instead ending about half a second later, the shot is left hanging for too long and it feels awkward.

7. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

Really enjoyed it. i think like the rest of the eps this series they could do with an extra 5 maybe 10 mins, just so it aint as rushed near the end.

Got to say im lovin the set design, the corridors are a massive step up from last series,

not as many laugh out loud moments but still a very good ep

8. Slainmonkey

An interesting thought, but I wonder if Doug placed this episode after "Give and Take" to imply it's the same asteroid storm in both episodes? I mean I know that likely wasn't the idea at the time of writing them, but maybe it swayed his decision for the episode placements.

9. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

My only grip with this episode is the use of the series 1-2 mid scene music. I think if series 3/4/5 music had been used then there would have been enough time for a last scene to round things off.
    Is Doug trying to connect these later series to the first two with the use of this music?

10. Slainmonkey

To be fair the corridor sets for series X were pretty good, but the lighting really killed any potential atmosphere they could have had. I do really like the new corridor sets though and I think the dynamic lighting used in these episodes really make them come alive. If there is a series XIII and XIV, I really wouldn't complain seeing these sets reused as they work very well!

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

That or just reduce the load, early series had ambitious stories without having to have an extra 5 minutes

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Ironically Doug has spent alot of time trying to take the show back to Series 1, the cat seems to OOWWWWWW alot now like he did in Series 1, Rimmer is obbessed with his rank like he was in Series 1, the music cues from series 1 are back.

While i don't mind these things being back i don't quite know why they are back.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I don't think it necessarily had to mean in present sense, it was just doug doing a social commentary joke

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

The positives

[*]
    Chris was on form and this one was very much a Rimmer Episode

[*] i like the concept of the bio-printer

[*] The Rimmer Monster

[*] The Rimmer office Club was great and it just sad there wasn't more on the bio-printed Rimmers

The negatives

[*] the TV Channel joke, they are on a space ship 3 million years into space for crying out loud

[*] Lister and Kryten using the word "Fags" as it has become clear the joke was basically getting kryten to say "fags" since the way robert said it made it pretty obvious and that was so cheap, just like getting the bad guys in twentica to say "you been slagging me off" yeah british slang we get it!

[*] the way Rimmer was promoted wasn't very convincing, someone important just has to say you are an officer and its legit and then all you have to do to hit the reset button is just to say you resign and thats it, good logic that.

15. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I really liked the episode. Thought it ended v ery abrupt again and for god sake get a new piece of music for ship fly bys

16. Slainmonkey

Did anyone else notice that in the officers club scene that the music playing in the background subtly has the tune of the Rimmer song from Blue?

17. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Another excellent episode, another abrupt ending. I don't see why Kryten's plan required using Rimmer as bait. But so many funny moments, I laughed more than in any episode this series. What a brilliant comic nod to bio-horror. The notion of bio-printing is as good a science-fiction concept as Red Dwarf has used, in my opinion. I really have liked each episode more than the last so far, and this series gets progressively nearer to my idea of 'classic' Dwarf.

18. Slainmonkey

I don't think that was Kryten's plan, it seems like Rimmer was supposed to lure it somewhere but when it closed the corridor door behind Rimmer it cornered him, so they just had to wing it from there.

19. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I actually think that was my favourite episode of the series, Rimmer being Rimmer. An opportunity missed was having some technician Rimmer's printed so we could see him in his series 1 and 2 outfit. Possibly some green and red ones too. Downside was the abrupt ending again

20. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I actually think that was my favourite episode of the series, Rimmer being Rimmer. An opportunity missed was having some technician Rimmer's printed so we could see him in his series 1 and 2 outfit. Possibly some green and red ones too. Downside was the abrupt ending again