RDXI Ep 4 - OFFICER RIMMER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Aye, that makes more sense. I wondered what the significance of the door closing was. I'll try to watch it again tomorrow, and more might sink in.

2. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Okay that was smeggin' awesome! But then I'm not even surprised by the quality any more. Doug and the gang really are firing on all cylinders this time around. I really enjoyed the zaniness of this one. And despite it's weirdness,once again everything - well okay almost everything - flows so naturally and just feels right, like proper-proper Red Dwarf. I've not felt this content during first viewings of new eps in a long time. It's as it's just picked up where series 6 left off...but got better! In some ways at very least. For real. It wouldn't surprise me if this ends up becoming one of my favourites series of all time. I almost wish my 10 year old self were here to see this. No wait, that would be weird.

Chris was great in this episode. And Robert had some pretty decent material too. I loved seeing the skutters again and the corridors look so much better than I expected, I could've sworn I read somewhere that the changes were only minor but they're a major improvement. So much to talk about here. The officers club and the quartet of Rimmers were most entertaining, the bio-printing was an interesting concept, and Rimmer creating a class structure was brilliant. And for me the Rimmer monster had just the right balance of silly humour and creepy, wacky, weirdness. Yep, I enjoyed this one muchly. :-D

With all that said I agree that the ending felt strangely abrupt. But then upon first viewing so too did the end of Better Than Life and numerous other episodes (for me anyway), only to then feel much better on subsequent viewings once I knew what to expect. So with that in mind I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it a few more times. But yeah, first impression was that the ending just sort of

Great episode though. :-)

3. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

That was such a fun episode.

Ending was blatantly cut due to budget or something. A real shame. No effects at all.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Doubt it

5. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Sorry to go against the general grain, but this was probably my favourite episode so far in this series. However, much like everyone else, I thought the ending was way too abrupt.

6. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

A firm favourite for me.

I fell in love when I saw the bio-printer. It's great to have a sci-fi idea that's completely new to Red Dwarf - rather than a twist on an old fave, like time travel, simulants or gelfs. The misprinted face was hilarious.

Also, I laughed more at this than any other ep of RD XI. Biggest laughs were:

- "Toupee made of face"
    - Call centre bit
    - "If you think I'm going to select all these files," etc..

I *knew* everyone would hate the ending. I did too. I groaned when I heard the "die" line because I thought it was cheesy... and then the bloody credits rolled!

Still, a good ep though.

7. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

It's as plain as the nose on your head!!!
    :lol:

8. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

It was not only a very funny scene, but a very clever one, for which I love it. It's an excellent way to comment on how freely we give our personal information, with little consideration about how it's used.
    I loved the Rimmermonster! I felt it was entirely intended to look a bit crap. It wasn't a lack of effects, but a comic decision. I agree about the 'pen' line.

9. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

To be honest, so far all the episodes have been pretty damn awesome!! I think during series X there was a bit of rose tinted "bugging up" of the eps as we wanted them to succeed (Trojan and Entangled being prime examples - elements of the latter were slight rehashes of an old episode)!

I've not felt this with series XI. It's felt really fresh and funny - and looks fantastic! Today's episode probably isn't my favourite but it made me laugh a lot.

10. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Another fantastic episode!! The Rimmer barbershop quartet made me have to pause it because I was laughing so much. I loved seeing Rimmer on a massive power trip, and watching the others disgust. Cannot believe how good Series XI has been!

11. reaktor24

reaktor24 Third Technician

This is surely my joint favourite episode along with episode 3. I thought the first two were fairly weak but it's getting really quite good now. Do you think the Rimmer monster was a nod to the Human Centipede movies? That was the first thing I thought when the paper started all flowing into the printer one after another.

12. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Watched it again after taking off my smarty pants 'I saw this recorded doncha know?' and enjoyed it a lot more.

I think we'll get used to the ending, ok maybe it could have done with a nice effect of the Rimmer beast blowing up but the story was nicely rounded off.

13. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I genuinely loved Trojan and Fathers and Suns too. By contrast, I was a tiny bit underwhelmed by Twentica.

14. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

No, the Rimmer monster was a comedic nod to the 1982 scifi horror The Thing. If you haven't seen that movie I recommend you do, it's pretty great. I must say it's good to see some new monsters in Red Dwarf beyond the standard Simulants and Gelf types!

15. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

I quite liked this one, again it felt more like good old classic Red Dwarf which was cool, but it was a tad weak.

Have to add how originality seems lacking once again. Rimmer copying himself...again, really? It also felt a bit like another 'Alien' rip-off just like Polymorph was. Or should that be homage?

I did like the officers club part and how Rimmer was being an arse about everything, classic Red Dwarf harking back to the old days. I also liked the simplistic Pac-Man-esque computer graphics when tracking the cell monster.

Not bad, not great, the ending was also very abrupt, blink and you'll miss it.

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I liked season 10, but so far 11 is really outdoing it with the sheer consistency of its quality. Even the two episodes I didn't like as much (Samsara and Give and Take) were pretty good - certainly much more entertaining to me than season 10's lesser episodes. It's difficult to say with certainty, but I think 11 will really stand up to repeated viewings and it'll still be looked upon very favourably years from now. Apart from the improved visuals, for me there are two major differences between seasons 10 and 11: This season just seems to be bursting full of lots of great ideas with so much going on in every episode, and the acting and characterisation have improved considerably.

I really hope that episodes five and six manage to match this quality. If so, 11 will be probably end up as my fourth favourite season (after 5, 6 and 7).

17. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I really want to see a Lister-clones-himself episode. If only for the look on Rimmer's face surrounded by fifty Listers lounging around the ship eating kebabs. And I want them to be dressed the same so he doesn't know which one's the real one.

18. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I got in late last night so decided to save this for the following morning but before I went to bed I had a little look at the G&T comments thread, skim reading to avoid spoilers and was disappointed to see people heavily criticising the episode. As such I went into 'Officer Rimmer' expecting disappointment. I'm happy to say that I did not find it.

The opening gag wasn't the greatest set-up, it felt like the very disconnected Series X style stuff that would traditionally open those episodes and Lister's line felt a bit too stand-up comedy to me. I didn't mind the Rimmer/Freudian stuff and don't udnerstand the increasing complaints about adult humour in Red Dwarf XII. It's not as if Rimmer the show has decended to the puerile and infantile stuff it did in series 8 and my memories of watching it as a teenager were always that it was a little bit risque and not something to watch with Mum and Dad.

The Bio-Printer was a great concept and the 'paper jam' must surely have resonated with anyone who has used a printer in the past twenty years. It was the kind of brilliantly silly low-technology that Red Dwarf has always employed in its odd future of VHS videotapes (as was the Pac-Man/Beserk style computer layout that came later). The actual face of the captain was wonderfully horrifying while still looking exactly like you would expect a printer jam printout to look! This is a kind of visual effect I've never seen Red Dwarf employ before. I wasn't overly keen on Lister insulting him as again, his line felt a bit too stand-up comedy and not in-keeping with Lister's usual way of greeting people.

Enjoyed everything about the Rimmer class system and I thought Kryten once again turned in some of the best lines in the episode. Bobby is really on form in this series which actually is making me look forward to Krysis instead of dreading it after previous Kryten-centred episodes.

My all-time favourite movie is John Carpernter's The Thing so seeing Red Dwarf go for a Thing style monster was both fun...and a mild disappointment. The idea of the monster was great, the practical effects not so much. One of the heads looked like a different actor and in general the faces just looked a little too normal and like a bunch of humans wearing a big black cloth...especially after the brilliant effects on the Captain.

As for the ending I have a few guesses:

1. There wasn't the budget for an explosion.
    2. Doug was going for an abrupt ending akin to Better than Life.
    3. The episode ran out of time.

It was jarring, but more so because it's been the pattern of this series. Doug has tried several different methods (a tacked on coda, a groaner callback and two consecutive sudden stops) The editing on the latter two is presumably a stylistic choice, but the feedback has been pretty clear. It's jarring and it doesn't work.

I don't understand why people are saying it's lowered their episode ranking though. There's no sense of an incomplete episode here as their was with Samsara and as such, despite the abrupt ending I felt that Episode 4 has now tilted the series firmly into the positive. Now if we can get through the final 2 episodes without Doug doing anything outright offensive (always a possibility, sadly) I think we have a series that can solidly say it has done justice to the Red Dwarf Canon.

My (continually fluctuating) rankings so far:

Twentica: 8
    Samsara: 5
    Give and Take: 9
    Officer Rimmer: 7

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

My ratings for season 11 so far:

Twentica: 8.5
    Samsara: 6
    Give and Take: 6.5
    Officer Rimmer: 8

My season average now stands at a pretty good 7.25.

20. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Rimmer was hilarious. I've always believed that Rimmer (well, Chris Barrie) is the star of the show and this episode just proves it.

If anyone I knew reacted to a promotion like that, with that amount of creativity, I'd think they were hilarious. Trouble is, no boss is ever that creative or funny, so in real life when you're excluded from things you just think they're even bigger miserable tossers. Lister doesn't know how lucky he is having a boss like Rimmer, what a total legend. :lol:

The bit where he just glided along on his conveyor belt made me laugh out loud. I loved the way he just lorded around all smug. His ridiculous man-spreading 'power stance' was so inspired I feel like using it myself.

There were some callbacks to Better Than Life in there too, especially with Rimmer getting everything he ever wanted without earning it then screwing it all up because of his diseased brain.

I loved the typical Red Dwarf outlook on bioprinting. They have a knack of taking a technology everyone thinks will be this amazing thing, and all they do is apply realistic limitations of capitalism and human error to the concepts and in the end they actually have something that's far more likely (it will be somewhat functional but somehow a bit crap).

Black Mirror takes technology and uncovers the dark frightening truth of it, while Red Dwarf takes technology and finds the comical farcical truth, and between the two you have the ACTUAL FUTURE.

It's been a while since I properly laughed at Red Dwarf, but the last two episodes have had me laughing. Not belly laughs, or giggles but actual full on laughing.

Kryten once again 'working around' his own programming was also a highlight.

I feel like they need to do something with the editing on the ending for the home release though. Even if it's a lingering freeze-frame with a single laser bolt, much like the hammer-to-hand freeze in Better Than Life, it would work much better. It's the way it goes from a dynamic action shot in one frame to the credits in the next, it's so jarring, there is zero blending in the edit. Pausing for a moment as the music kicks in would allow for that bridge, a couple of extra seconds is all it needs. Red Dwarf used to do this, as did shows like Bottom, it works.

Red Dwarf never surprised you with the credits but they're almost becoming jump-scares now.