RDXI Ep 4 - OFFICER RIMMER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue; the swine is back:-D For me that was the funniest episode of series 11 so far but also since series 6. I had a lot of laugh out loud moments.

2. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

A belly laugh is full-on laughing. An especially loud, hearty, unrestrained laugh.

3. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

I think the ending is far more troublesome than how quickly the credits came in though. A couple of people have mentioned better than life's hammer ending, but that to me was a very different kettle of fish. In BTL the ending was a deliberate 'gotcha' twist after it felt like the story had been resolved, the suddenness of it was a key component to why it worked. Officer Rimmer needed something to justify its short sharp stop, the story as such hadn't been resolved, them shooting the monster with bazookoids (which they could have done at any point) was the resolution - but it wasn't a surprising enough one to permit an instant cut to credits.

Thematically the episode was about Rimmers lust for power causing the problem. They forced him to demote himself to save his life, great - that works fine. That's even a borderline twist. I wish they'd moved that to the end, stuck him behind the gate with the monster approaching, the others on the other side with their bazookoids having the same conversation with him until he begrudgingly shouted, "I resign!" - then they swing open the gate for him, he dives through and they all fire on the beast.

4. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Is it me or does Kryten's suit and mask in series 5 still look the best by far? Even in this new series it can't compare.

5. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

The suit and mask never got better than series 5 and 6. As an ensemble the crew looked absolutely perfect in series 5. They all had their best outfits in that series.

The suit on Kryten, his chest plate in particular, looks like it has too many flaws in it. In certain light it looks like a Halloween shop costume.

Surely there's a talented cosplayer out there who would happily commission a perfect Kryten costume for a few peanuts? People go to Comic-Con wearing better looking costumes.

6. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Having seen all the episodes again, here are my current ratings:

Twentica: 8
    Samsara: 5
    Give and Take: 9 (this episode really grows on me more and more)
    Officer Rimmer: 7

Officer Rimmer is an odd episode for me to rank, because it probably has some of the funniest moments in series XI so far, but also has some of the most glaring problems to me. While the problems are a bit frustrating (the ending or the lower brow moments), it doesn't take a way from the fact that it takes a fun idea and really runs with it in a way that I couldn't imagine Doug doing back in series X.

7. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Krytens mask this year is great but his body suit looks exactly lile that. I get the feeling that in order to give Bobby a break they gave him a single piece wear it like a jacket for the torso and undersuit. But it looks very poor in comparison

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That multi-headed Rimmer monster is the most disturbing thing to appear in all eleven seasons to date.

9. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

The multi-head monster is so grotesque, I love it!

10. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I don't hate it either, but I do find it to be very inconsistent in terms of quality. For the most part, it's of a decent, but not great standard. However, it does occasionally sink to the depths reached in parts of Series VIII, whilst there are also moments that recall classic Dwarf. I feel the Series started strongly with "Trojan", then it gradually decreased in quality as it wore on, yet redeemed itself in the end with an awesome last episode. I agree totally with your analysis on why Series X was an odd one.

I completely agree about Rob Grant. I've long felt his departure was a very important elememt in the series' decline post-Series VI. Losing Chris Barrie for most of Series VII certainly didn't help matters, but it was Rob's absence that really hurt the show long term. It seems like only now, is Doug harnessing the ability to carry Dwarf totally on his own shoulders. And whilst I have no doubt these new episodes would be even better with Rob's involvement, Doug seems to finally have found the confidence to carry the show foward without him. This Series has seen some genuine genius from Doug, flawed genius, but genius all the same. I still wish the Grant/Naylor partnership would begin again, but at last, I feel like Dwarf has a bright future, even if Rob never returns. Doug I think is starting to rediscover the magic that made this Series so special to start with! :-)

11. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

After watching the episode fully, twice, my ranking for Series XI so far is:

1) Give and Take
    2) Samsara
    3) Officer Rimmer
    4) Twentica

I think the ending, although abrupt, does bring the episode to a clear conclusion. Other episodes, even in classic Dwarf have a similarly abrupt ending, though arguably a little less jarring. I'm not really knocking off any points for this, though.

I can't particularly pin point anything I didn't like, but I did feel as though I laughed less in this episode; maybe the same amount and level of laughs as Twentica, but I liked Officer Rimmer more due to the clever scenes with multiple Rimmers, and a bit more originality with some new concepts such as the bio printer.

My favourite scene was probably the Officers' club. I LOVED the fact that it was playing the Arnold Rimmer song from Series VII's Blue in the background. Though I was actually somewhat upset at the missed opportunity of a rendition of it by the Barber shop quartet; I really felt like we were building to that. Regardless, that was still a cracking performance.

The special effects in this episode, as I sort of alluded to above, were some of the best. My only disappointment is the Rimmer monster, but really not until the last scene. It's so blatantly obvious that one of the Rimmer's is a different actor (uncredited, too, it seems). Look at the scene where Rimmer monster says "We need to make a to do list?". The Rimmer above him is clearly a different actor, and although you catch glimpses of him throughout, he features so prominently in this scene that I find that quite jarring and I wish they had employed a better technique there to replace his face. That said, maybe it was deliberate to highlight what can go wrong with a bio printer jam :lol:

Some Trivia for you. This is the third episode of Series XI to use the voice of Daniel Barker. He was the Croquet Commentator in this, and he voiced the lifts in Give and Take. According to IMDB he also supplied "Various" voices in Twentica, but was uncredited. He is also voicing an interesting character in Krysis. His IMDB page does list the name of his character which could be considered a spoiler! But, interesting, nonetheless...

If you watched the credits, you'll also see that Penelope Freeman appeared on screen as the "Gosh Lady" and she is the same actress that voiced the Officer and Grunt lifts :-)

Anyway, I do really like this episode. I did expect that, after enjoying Samsara and Give and Take so much, I may enjoy Officer Rimmer (and maybe even Krysis ...) less, but although this is so far proving true, it doesn't detract from an experience which is the most fun I've had watching Red Dwarf for 20 years.

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

When it comes to creative ideas doug is great with that but with recapturing the humour of the early series i still think doug struggles with that, some of it is just as good but then there are bits of comedy there that feels like concentrated comedy, basically watered down comedy filler that is either predictable or outstays its welcome by being played on too long to the point it just wants to see how long it can keep getting laughs and alot of that pressure is put on the cast to hold it up so the performances start to get abit over the top with trying to get bigger laughs, which is actually something the early series didn't do because the jokes were always so quick witted, like in holoship when Rimmer is giving the "people i met" speech, it was one line that become a classic and then we moved on, now days i could see that joke being played for another 15 seconds with Rimmer continuing to add layers to the gag.

It is frustrating to not be able to fully get that sharp wit back and while yeah the new series is funny it just feels like at times its trying to be funny in a more silly way to make up for the fact it can't fully capture the wit of the early series which is a frustrating shame :-(

I do think not having Rob grant involved really does show in quality.

13. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Holy smokes - I just remembered, where has the couch gone from series X??

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Doug said alot of the set had water damage so maybe thats what happened to the couch

15. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Oh that's a shame. That chair probably had too much character fro RD anyway! I wonder if Doug sold it for some funding :-D

16. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I really need to watch Give & Take again.

But, on topic, what did I think of Officer Rimmer? Pretty smegging fantastic, that's what. The main reason I want to watch Give & Take again is because, mercifully, I can't remember all the good bits, and I think the same of Officer Rimmer.

Okay, the ending was rubbish. Give us a 20-second quick joke to go out on like in DNA. But other than that, there was a lot to like. The premise of bio-printing and someone else being able to hold a licence to "you". Pac-man. Rimmer's sex/aeroplane metaphor. The Rimmer munchkin music from Blue (the barber shop quartet don't try to upstage that song, thankfully). The Starbug scene is the best I've seen in a while (even better than the one I saw in an episode that hasn't been broadcast yet, and I thought that was pretty damn good). Lots of great little jokes throughout (one that stuck in my head, peculiarly, was something about needing a midwife when the Rimmer monster jammed).

On top of that, the episode is a great showcase of Rimmer. We know he's petty and would institute a class system - we've known from when he made Lister inventory all the irradiated haggis on board for cigs.

So far, this series is probably as strong as most other series. Not quite perfect but close. In all four episodes so far are the ingredients of a thoroughly brilliant episode of Red Dwarf. Doug just needs to work out the right mix.

But then someone did mention the "I've come to regard you all as... people I met" line, and so far RDXI has no equivalent. Not a major issue but, just to be critical, RDXI could be accused of playing it for laughs a bit too much. But, if you're saying that about a comedy, it must be in good shape.

Also, am I the only one who thinks bunk scenes are logically being replaced by Starbug scenes? Starbug allows all 4 of the crew to be involved and is the "vehicle" towards more adventurous parts of the story.

17. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I think a nice little ending would have been if Rimmer walked into the bunkroom to find Lister had used the bio-printer to make duplicate copies of himself. But then as others have said, there are other RD episodes with similar abrupt endings.
    Ill admit i had reservations about this episode being as good as it was, i thought it was going to be the stinker of the bunch, but im so glad it turned out to be my favourite so far.
    However next weeks episode I really am worried about...

18. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Someone on G&T suggested a punchline for the ending about Rimmer being "so self-absorbed".

It's such a staggeringly obvious line in retrospect that I can't believe it wasn't used.

19. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Just watched and thought it was brilliant. The lift opening to reveal Kryten, wine, chair etc for Officer Rimmer was a delight! As was him sliding past on the conveyor in front of the others. As was the restaurant full of Rimmers. Bloody brilliant!

As Bluey mentioned above, the Rimmer-monster was a nightmare-inducing beast. Tbh I'd rather not have had an 'ending monster', just a series 1,2,10 ending. But then you can't have everything.

9/10.

Also wanted to say all respect to Craig Charles. A lot of the time it seems the rest of the cast are doing impersonations of their characters. But Lister just seems the most natural of late. Although the second half of 'Officer Rimmer' saw portrayals from all the cast we've not seen since series 5. Bravo.

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I did note a double continuity error in the latter five minutes. Firstly Rimmer surely could have walked through the cage to escape the beast by using his soft-light form.

Let's hand-waive that away and presume that he was in his hard-light form and couldn't change it without some gizmo...wouldn't that make him "virtually indestructible". If so, why the concern about "hitting Mr. Rimmer" with friendly fire? There's an argument that as his "pleasure and pain responses are the same" it would still sting a bit but was he ever really in danger. He's already dead and even if his light bee was destroyed it would presumably be easy enough to just load him into a new one.

One final point. Did the Rimmer-beast even need to be destroyed? It was noted that the bio-printed crew would automatically expire once they completed their mission. Was the Rimmer-beast's "mission" to absorb all other Rimmers? It seemed to think so and, indeed, didn't actually have a plan beyond that. Could it ever even have harmed "our" Rimmer given that he wasn't made of the same genetic material?

It might have been funnier to let it try and, realizing that it had no room for the incredible amount of arrogance, stupidity et al possessed by the original Rimmer, explode in the process.

Cue the "so self-absorbed" line suggested elsewhere. :lol: