RDXI Ep 4 - OFFICER RIMMER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Rimmer doesn't seem to be able to shift from hard-light, to soft-light on his own. Kryten seemed to need to use a remote to do that in Entangled.

2. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Now that idea I like! The rimmer monster trying to absorb the original and it rejects him and voluntarily destroys itself rather than absorb him too.....that could have been veey funny

3. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Rimmer-monster is full of holes and mysteries, but no more than Backwards, Timeslides, DNA. I'm always happy to accept that the space fantasy stuff works as presented, for reasons I might not understand.

4. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Some shots of the Rimmer Monster cracked me up, as it was blatantly obvious that Chris was trying to shuffle along inside it.

Watched it again and that ending just needs something. Even if it was a trick shot like the effect they used when Rimmer gets absorbed, and just have the monster "melt away" like that would have been fine. Then a joke, then the credits.

5. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

That was when they were on a space-station, not aboard Red Dwarf. Wouldn't the remote control only be because they were off-ship?

While there may be a legitimate reason Rimmer couldn't change to softlight to get through the door, surely one of the characters should have explained this point for the audience, rather than us scratching our heads and having to go back to Entangled to find excuses.

6. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I can't think why that would follow?

In any case, it may be that he can't initiate it himself - regardless of whether he uses a remote or not. Back in series one/two, he had to ask Holly to change his holo-settings, and was incapable of changing them back if he didn't like them (note his Helen Shapiro hair-do in Future Echoes).

To be fair, you have to go back to Entangled to find the problem - so it doesn't hurt to rummage around for a solution while you're there :-)

Most people don't actively consider that Rimmer is a hologram until the plot reminds them of it. Ditto with the (reasonable) complaint that, as a hard light hologram, he's virtually indestructible. It won't occur to many people that he could walk through a closed gate. And it's hard to do exposition that goes, "Now, *most* of you will think it's fair for Rimmer to be barred by a gate here, because that's what gates do, and that's what's happening now. But a minority of you will remember an episode from 2012 where Rimmer walked through a door. Even though he clearly can't do that here - because he isn't doing - we'll have one of the characters explain why."

Also, if they explained Rimmer not walking through an obstacle once, they'd have to explain it every other time. Which would be quite a naus for the writer and viewers too.

I'd rather just assume there are variables and complications I don't know about, and trust that, on occasions when he *can* do it, he will.

7. magnetiser

magnetiser Third Technician

I really expected (and wanted) to enjoy Officer Rimmer - Chris Barrie is superb - but after a third viewing, I'm admitting defeat - it's just not my cup of tea. :-(

It's hard to pin down why I dislike it so much (particularly after being extremely happy with Series XI thus far) but I think it's a combination of:-

a) After Give & Take, where each scene was wonderfully connected, Officer Rimmer feels completely lacking. It was a sketch show; a jumbled, disconnected (or very loosely connected) set of scenes (given the first sequence aboard Starbug was lifted from a recording for Series XII, this is hardly surprising), and - except for the Officer's Club and Officer's Lift - I didn't enjoy or find any of them particularly amusing (Kryten dry humping Rimmer - really?!).

b) The strange 'tone' of the episode is jarring. It feels like a Comic Relief special.

8. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I've seen this three times now and it's become one of my favourites so far. The ending still hasn't grown on me but everything else goes right up my flagpole.

Rimmer's sex dream made me laugh out loud. And the quartet of Rimmers had me laughing so much I had tears in my eyes. Seeing them sing "Rim, rim, rim, rim" with such conviction and Lister's reaction makes for a well and truly classic moment.

I love the Rimmer monster and liked the look of Rimmer's officers club and private corridor, it brought in a nice dynamic and really helped make the ship feel that much bigger. I also like that there are some straight moments with no gags. I much prefer my Red Dwarf that way.

My current marks out of 10:

Twentica - 9
    Samsara - 7 (previously 6 and a half)
    Give & Take - 8
    Officer Rimmer - 9

9. Trunkneck

Trunkneck Skutter

I just wish we could see it in the US.

10. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I'm not sure what it was exactly, but there was a white corridor with nice windows, which reminded me (slightly) of the sets from Back to Earth.

I enjoyed having a bit of diversity in the same episode, because it gave some confidence that Red Dwarf can host the various styles we've seen since The End. I like to imagine that they move their "base camp" around the ship, to explain the visual changes - rather than seeing them as outright retcons.

In fact, I'd love a story to take them back to the original bunk room and corridor one day :-)

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

12. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Yes, exactly :-)

Incredibly, that was seventeen years ago. Time-wise, BITR is closer to the original set than the current ones.

In fact, I'd like a story that takes them on a whole tour of past sets - maybe to find something they lost ages ago - that finishes up with the first bunk room, dark and full of dust. Heck, you could even throw The Tank in for the sake of completeness :-)

13. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

It is not available on iTunes/Amazon prime there? Maybe that's an option. Else the DVD comes out Nov 8th there, ahead of the UK.

14. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Yeah, I like to think that too, and it makes sense that they've moved around the ship. In series 3 we know from the sign above the door that they moved into some officers' quarters. And the quarters in BTE may have previously been occupied by slightly higher ranking officers, what with being a bit more high tech and shiny with a decent window view. So the Officers Club may be close by. And I assume the captains quarters, which as we saw in series 8, are somewhere in that part of the ship too.

And then we have the current quarters which shares the same basic BTE design but looks somewhat grimier and has a different colour scheme. Along with some exposed pipes and cables. So perhaps that's on a lower level of the ship, and was previously occupied by...the ship's engineers?

I'm liking the idea of a story taking them through the a whole tour of sets and ending up back at the original bunkroom. :-)

15. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Really?!

Unacceptable. It's a British show. I'm reporting this to the ombudsman.

16. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

:-D

However, the UK release does get a double sided cover so that you may flip it to match the original sets. Hats off to the production team!

17. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Yeah I would love a hiking ep which goes back through old sets. Personally I agree about the set designs. In reality a ship which is 5 miles long, 3 miles deep etc... is in effect a city, therefore I always assumed that RD would have been designed by a group of copanies/architects/designers etc..... and what we see is the team moving about the ship as and when they mess up the current surroundings beyond repair (grime or flooding etc...). Same for Drive room, Medi room, science room etc... they all still exist but they work out of the nearest one with with ship commanding capabilities. This being the case they could change the look and feel every series and still get away with it. My only gripe with the current look and feel is that it is too blue in the medi room (and makes Rimmer and Kryten kinda disappear) and a bit too dark in the bunk room. The corridors look great though.

18. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

My favourite XI episode yet. Saying that, I had forewarning of the abrupt ending, so it didn't come as a shock to me. Personally, I'm seeing the sudden endings as an interesting stylistic choice (even if they are so because of logistics and run-time) and don't actually mind them one bit.

Back to Officer Rimmer. The funniest part wasn't the put-downs they were leveling at the bio-printed captain from Starbug, but the context. Three million years into a lonesome deep-space journey, a rare run in with another 'human' on board a ship that has the ability to print its own crew, and him being a captain an all that and... They insult him, repeatedly. They literally can't help it. That was magic.

19. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Wow, that was quite a surreal episode to watch, especially on medication and with wonky vision. I think I loved it!

That Rimmerbeast is certainly going to give me nightmares though...

20. percyP

percyP Third Technician

Well that's an episode I won't be watching again.