RDXI Ep 4 - OFFICER RIMMER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I thought the resignation at the end was more of a promise to resign after its all over.

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

That silly JMC onboard computer from series X has ears all over the ship it seems.

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Something that irked me a little is that "Officer" is usually a catch-all name that refers to everyone in a position of command above a certain level rather than being a specific rank, so it seems very odd to have the rank of Officer within the broader Officer structure. It could also cause confusion, for example in an emergency if someone's told to find an Officer they're not going to know if they're supposed to find someone with the rank of Officer or just anyone of sufficient grade/authority.

I fully appreciate that I'm massively overthinking this one and that we know very little about the JMC/Space Corp's rank structure, but it's just one of those silly little things that crops up from time to time that irrationally bugs me for some reason.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

The JMC computer is such a lazy plot device.

I do get the premise behind the JMC Computer but how doug has used it is like a button behind some glass that says break if out of ideas!

5. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

And Rimmer ultimately got promoted to First Lieutenant, which is apparently above Officer.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Remember when it used to be difficult to get promoted ;p

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

It's not the frist time he's been promoted. In Stoke Me A Clipper, he gets posthumously promoted to First Officer.

I wonder if the white suit he wears is the same one from Kryten.

It just occured to me to ask what the mission of the bio-printed Rimmers was. Bio-printed crew die when their mission is fulfilled. The Rimmer-monster's mission was presumably to expel Lister & Cat, but what about the rest of them?

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to hang around the officer's club.

8. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

A lieutenant (first or otherwise) is a type of officer. Hence Rimmer talking about his "fellow officers" when he's already a first lieutenant.

Having said which - it does rather sound like, in the Red Dwarf universe, the lowest of the officer classes is simply called "officer".

9. R.I.P. 2000

Maybe when the bio-printed captain says "I shouldn't have promoted you to officer," he simply means, "I shouldn't have promoted you to the lowest rank of officer" (whatever that is in the Red Dwarf universe). So maybe there's no officer rank called "officer", and everyone just assumes you mean the lowest rank when you say "promoted to officer," "made an officer," etc..

10. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I was referring to Captain Herring's dialogue, in which Officer and First Lieutenant are mutually exclusive ranks:

HERRING: I might have been a bit hasty promoting you to Officer. I should have promoted you to First Lieutenant, and now I have. Congratulations!

You're right that in the Space Corps, "Officer" appears to refer to two different concepts, both a specific rank and a class of ranks as per reality. Seems unnecessarily ambiguous, but obviously done for plot expediency. If Rimmer was only an Officer (rank), then he presumably lacked the authority to promote the other Rimmers to Officer. They were printed from his DNA, so presumably they came out as Second Technicians.

Edit: Actually, Doug could have just had Herring promote Rimmer to any real-life officer rank, then promote him to the higher one. Maybe he invented an "Officer" rank to make it easier to follow re: the Officer's club, but it actually made it more complicated.

11. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Ah, Officer Rimmer on my re-watch now. Such a great episode with a good amount of jokes, very well plotted and doesn't waste any time. Somehow it feels long, but in a good way - kind of "I'm enjoying this but it crams an awful lot in there" way.

As is obvious from the episode title, Rimmer takes centre stage in an episode which seems him promoted far beyond his station (due to various reasons). He institutes a class system, separating him from the others in the same manner that a land owner used to have to be bowed/curtsied to from those living on his land - affording himself the privileges even Hollister probably never enjoyed himself. Furthermore, Rimmer bio-prints copies of himself to make up the ranks and, when Lister and the Cat get fed up with his rule, accidentally conjures up the Rimmer Monster, leading to a final act ripped straight from DNA.

There is a lot to like here, and I'm especially fond of the beginning act in Starbug. The immediate beginning (Lister dreaming of Inga) clumsily segues into Rimmer's dream sex/flying joke, but Rimmer's part works so well I can forgive it. In fact, the sex/flying joke is pretty damn good and probably one of my favourite bits from RDXI. Encountering the Nautilus and Captain Herring seems straight out of series 4/5, giving the episode a good bit of adventure for a few minutes, and there's some good bits here too (Cat's "don't wear a hat" advice, and Rimmer's "he won't like me" line).

Good effects too, even if some of them are CGI. And Herring, though he doesn't blink (unfortunately), was pretty damn unnerving and worked amazingly well.

Back on the Dwarf, Rimmer institutes a class system which works really well. The lift and the corridor both work very well as gags that can be milked a bit (Kryten handing Rimmer various towels, champagne etc) but don't overstay their welcome. The bio-printer is a great idea, and Lister discovering he's on file, and Kryten "not" telling him how to delete the printer's database, are also both good jokes.

But probably the best element of the episode is the Officer's Club, where copies of Rimmer unwind. Very good shots, and use of the Rimmer Experience music in the background, and thankfully the Barber Shop Quartet doesn't try to upstage the munchkins and instead does its own little thing. I do wonder though, in the corridor scene where Lister and the Cat see all the copies of Rimmer go in, they are so blurry for some reason - possibly to hide that they're all different people playing Rimmer?

This, of course, leads into the Rimmer Monster which is a good idea, and executed adequately. Not brilliant, and as I say this reminds me of the Vindaloo Beast from DNA. The Pac Man bit had me in stitches first time round. After this, the episode does fall flat (and the ending just happens), but it is only a couple of minutes from the end. Lister asking the Rimmer Monster what it will do next, and the Rimmer Monster's reply of "we haven't thought about that yet", manage to keep the flow going just about.

Overall, Officer Rimmer is a good episode by normal Red Dwarf standards. If it was in an earlier series (4 or 5) I'd say it'd be one of the better episodes from them. It is probably my favourite from RDXI (with Give & Take and Can Of Worms also being close contenders, I feel). The plot is consistent, writing good, jokes very good, and every minute is used thoroughly and used well. Apart from the last moments - like others have said, we could have done with another, say, 10 seconds to go out on a joke. But that doesn't ruin the episode for me - it just jars a bit, I'd say, with the quality of the episode up to that point.

Needless to say that this was what I needed - Rimmer is, in my opinion, the character who is the most fun to watch mess things up, and an episode devoted to just that was sorely needed.

12. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Good review again, though I must say while I think Officer Rimmer is still a really strong Red Dwarf episode it is my fifth favourite one of series 11.

Funnily enough I loved the Rimmer monster obviously because it was a blatant but not unneccessary call back to series 4's DNA and it gave the episode its vintage feel.

Also for some reason I am quite satisfied with the ending. As another poster at the time it was broadcast said it went out on a dramatic note and after all there have been a number of instances in the show's late 1988 to 1993 peak years where episodes ended suddenly - DNA, Timeslides, Emohawk etc anyone? I also feel with the pen distraction after Rimmer would have been caught in the blast from the bazookoids it had just about enough depth for the conclusion too.

Why is it that it is not in my top 4 episodes then? Maybe it is because it has a bit of a simpler, more silly style compared to the more cerebral and complex other episodes apart from Krysis. Perhaps it's that this series I have tended to prefer the heavier science episodes though I also think Krysis is a classic episode too. But saying that the bio-printer though more about silliness is a really good new idea and overall it is a very decent Red Dwarf episode. It complements the other 11 episodes well too as it is mostly set on the RD mothership and it is a very satisfying watch it's just I prefer four of the other episodes perhaps because they tend to be more sciency.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

The episode is decent apart from

1. it bothered me how Rimmer could be promoted and demoted purely by saying it out loud, no paper work or anything...

2. The officer club was funny but there needed more of it then other stuff like the tv channel gag.

3. I don't find the idea of british slang funny

14. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

They are all Chris Barrie, aren't they? :-S

15. UltraDevotee

Funnily enough I notice how on Doug Naylor's twitter today, he has retweeted someone else saying the science in the future might be to print humans using protein. So perhaps it is not as silly as I thought! Still whatever, the bio-printer was a decent idea and a new one at that. It is a quality episode it's just I prefer four of the others.

16. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

They are. On the DVD Chris and Craig talked about Chris having to do all those Rimmers on the first day ...

17. R.I.P. 2000

I don't mind the concept at all - it's more the execution. I don't know enough about video editing to put my finger on why it's "off". Maybe they lingered for a split second too long after the gunshot? There's a weird anticlimax. It's almost like they left a tiny pause for a special effect and never added it.

18. R.I.P. 2000

Oh, and I couldn't agree more with this. The Rimmer monster gives the episode something rare: the feeling that, aside from the cast being older, you're watching an episode of golden age Dwarf you simply hadn't seen before. It's cut from the same cloth as all the old monsters-of-the-week.

The other thing I love about Officer Rimmer is the bio-printer. It was a really fresh sci-fi concept, in a show which has done all the obvious tropes and often revisits them. Nice to see something new!

Freeborn likes this.
  19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Personally i think this episode was more drawn out in places more than it needed to be because they save the captain and then they go back to red dwarf so Rimmer can pre-gloat and THEN they collect the captain and then there is more Rimmer gloating before we get to the officer club (which is the best part IMO) and then its the Rimmer monster.

I feel like Doug could have trimmed it down so very easy.

20. UltraDevotee

I must admit I did find the tv channel gag rather funny myself. To me it was reminiscent of Rimmer's "entertainments" in Quarantine. But it's just a matter of opinion of obviously.