RDXI Ep 5 - KRYSIS - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Whisper, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

I think one of the reasons RDXI is an improvement over VIII or RDX is that there's a good balance of gags, plot advancements and good pacing to cover the cringe worthy cheesy stuff.

2. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Third Technician

Couldnt agree more ;-)

3. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

That is a shame it has been taken back down after mistakenly having been put up too early. I would have thought the UKTVplay stream going live just after the Thursday night Dave Episodes would have been a far better time than Friday mornings. I can't resist watching the stream on a Friday daytime but A night time viewing with a beer is a much nicer time to watch it.

I'm looking forward to it all the same :-)

4. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Yeah I've been thinking it would make more sense to put them up just after the Dave episodes air. It's felt a bit weird watching for the first time during the day. I watched the first three ep's that way but waiting until the evening last week, and will probably do the same again tomorrow...so long as I can resist throughout the day. ;-)

5. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Btw seb the top post says this is for officer rimmer..... Perils of copy and paste?! Lol

6. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

I'm eagerly anticipating seeing this one. Wonder if David Ross will be making an appearance?

7. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Put me instantly in mind of Krytie TV, tbh. Also a bit of Beyond a Joke.

8. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

... well spotted.

9. MarilynMonroe

MarilynMonroe Skutter

Just watched it! :-D Loved it, great episode. Like some others I was a bit worried, but it's a really good ep.

10. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Ah really liked that one, was a feel good episode.

Butler was a good character, I really wanted to smack him in the mouth the smug git. :-)

11. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Third Technician

Hit and miss for me, but mostly hit. Some laugh out loud moments but also some cringeworthy moments aswell. All in all though id say it was enjoyable. Great guest character and my fears about this being a stinker werent justified so im happy :-D

12. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I'm happy with this episode.

Although I cringed a bit with the red mech suit and Kryten bragging about its capabilities, it wasn't bad as I was expecting. And, being honest, I think that scene is supposed to make you cringe a little bit :-)

Before that, though, we see what I felt was a wonderful bunk scene which the entire cast got involved in. It was amusing and everyone as on top form.

I got a real kick out of the idea of them finding the Nova 3 and Butler. I always love it when Red Dwarf makes reference to earlier episodes. I did, however, expect Butler to be a bit more like the David Ross Kryten. Not so much in make up, but in personality. That said, the actor who played him, Dominic Coleman, did a fantastic job.

What I didn't realise until just now when I looked him up, is who Dominic Coleman actually is:

Dominic Coleman
    (Won't let me post the image properly)

You may recognise him, he's been in a fair bit of stuff.

Nice to see GELFs again but I'm not sure their costume / make up is quite as good as we've seen it in the past.

In isolation, I thought the scene with the Universe (voiced by Daniel Barker who has voiced characters in now four! episodes this season) was a bit silly, though the thought of giving the Universe a midlife crisis had me laughing :lol:

I say in isolation, because it actually leads us nicely to what I feel is probably the most satisfactory ending of an episode of RDXI yet. It wasn't overly sudden, it ended on a joke and the story felt finished.

Overall, I think this is now my 3rd favourite episode of the series so far:

1) Give and Take
    2) Samsara
    3) Krysis
    4) Officer Rimmer
    5) Twentica

It feels bad putting episodes like Officer Rimmer and Twentica down so low. I still feel absolutely satisfied that Red Dwarf is back to the best it has been. For me it is up there with Series VI and V.

Well bloody done, Doug.

I now, however, have very high hopes for the series finale. They are normally the best or one of the best in the series so I'm thoroughly looking forward to it :-)

13. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I have very much enjoyed RDXI so far and this episode is no exception with some good laugh out loud moments, a good light hearted plot. I loved Krytens 360 degree spin :-) and Butler was smug enough to dislike him on Kryten's behalf. Notthe best episode in the series but still great, 8)

14. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

Really enjoyed this episode. There were some great laughs for me. Especially the GELF language lesson. I was really belly laughing by the end of it. And did anyone else realise that the Universe sounds suspiciously like Morgan Freeman?

15. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

I wonder if there will be a deleted scene where Kryten gurns and says 'I hate you Butler' seemed nicely set up for it.

16. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I'm fairly sure that's deliberate. After all, Morgan Freeman is God.
    [​IMG]

17. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Rejoice for Krysis has an actual ending and I think a good one too :-D

For what it's worth I think the episode could have been a bit really cheesy but I'm so thankful that Doug made it work.

I think the first half is cheesy but the gags are JUST enough to get us through into the 2nd half of the story when we meet Butler. He was wonderful and instantly the cheese is converted into amusing smug comedy. Good job!

Before I knew what was happening, some CGI and 'old friends' moved the story further. This plot device was okay I suppose as made you feel slightly happier for Kryten as Butler messed up.

The Universe scene was visually stunning but the scene was a bit flat for some reason. I didn't like the american accent for some reason. It's the only voice that I found annoying this season. Anyway if the episode ended there I think Krysis would have only been a mediocre episode. Thankfully story is wrapped nicely up by a final scene with that great revelation. This held the whole story together so well, so so well, and for me it's the best ending all season.

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

My first impression is that the episode was lacking in the comedy department, but it was pretty good stuff nonetheless. I liked it more than episodes 2 and 3. I'll give a proper review later.

19. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

oh dear......poorest of the series so for IMO.

plus points:
    -Krytens midlife crisis
    -Butler - I was stunned when I found out who played him - well done sir!
    -Nova 3 ship as a nod to seasons past
    -the explanation of how they meet so many lifeforms by this time going back into stasis
    - AN ENDING!!!!!

negative points:
    -the universe and Krytens speech at this point - possibly the poorest scene of any series to date IMO (quite BTE ish) (dansing midgets not counted lol)
    -Nova 3 corridors.....they are teh exact same as Rimmers officer corridor! I know budgets are tight but come on! even the champagne and canapes!
    - Some slapstick humour - Lister and the hedge trimmers...for example (he used to bite them!)

for me it was a mid series filler episode. For US sitcoms with 30-40 eps a season this is ok, but when there are only 6 in a season this one stands out for me.

So far for me it has to go:

1. Officer Rimmer
    2. Samsara
    3. Give and Take
    4. Twentika
    5. Krysis

Perhaps its Kryten.... I really dont like Krytie TV either!

20. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

I know this has been asked and discussed already but its another episode that brings up the subject of where they are now and what their mission is. There was no mention that I noticed of how long they went into stasis for but with them finding a 'living' mechanoid on a ship that was once crewed, plus the man made space station, there's a suggestion they aren't 3 million years into deep space anymore.

By the way, did I miss mention of what happened to the Nova 3 crew? I know Butler said they died but did they crash? Die of old age? Did the drive plate malfunction because the stuck up mech who was supposed to clean it regularly was too busy writing poetry in German?