RDXI Ep 5 - KRYSIS - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Whisper, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

It wasn't explained, but I'm fairly sure it will be under the same circumstances as the Nova 5 - most likely old age. At least he found time among his high brow hobbies to realise they had died and tidied away the skeletons :lol:

2. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

The Nova 5 crashed. In the books it's explained that Kryten cleaned the ships computer with soap and water.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's also mentioned that Kryten killed the Nova 5 crew in Ouroboros.

4. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

But Kryten is a "living" mechanoid and has been for three million years, too. The episode explicitly states that the service life of those droids is millions of years - so it's hardly a surprise that Butler would still be knocking around, just as Able was.

5. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Just finished watching it, and I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet. I suspect like Officer Rimmer, it will improve in my estimation on subsequent viewing, but even as it is, it's definitely never going to enter the realms of the worst of Dwarf. Every series post-Series VI had at least a couple of episodes that really scraped the barrel, so even with one episode of this series still to view, it's already easily the best Series since VI.

Knowing the premise of the episodes before I watched any of this series, the last 3 episodes were the ones that had me worried, but this one, just like Officer Rimmer, defied my expectations. Given the premise, there was a fair bit of expected slapstick humour, but thankfully, none of it seemed overdone, or out of place. Kryten donning his red Ferarri costume, whilst silly, worked perfectly in terms of the plot, and it made his actions, including dancing with Cat hilarious as well as cheesy!

It is hard to believe how much more advanced than Kryten Butler was, despite being a model in service generations earlier. Some people found it hard to believe Kryten himself, had so much knowledge for a mere sanitation and cleaning droid, so for Butler that is even more so! I can only assume, he like Kryten, was taught to break his programming, but by someone much more talented and naturally gifted than Lister.

The ending was, absolutely perfect, and in a series with several disappointing endings so far (Give And Take aside), it was a real tonic. The last line "You have him on speed dial!" actually made me laugh out loud. lol Wonderful stuff! :-)

6. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Damn, I forgot that point.

In that case it wasn't explained. We can only assume that the ship crashed and killed the crew due to unknown reasons, or the crew died eventually of old age. It's not clear if Nova 3 crashed before the crew died or after.

7. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Sure but I meant more in the context of location, is Butler 3 million years into deep space? If so how? I guess you could say the same for the Nova 5 crew.

8. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

This is the second episode this series (other being Samsara) that I didn't much care for, it's not the worst episode ever.....I just found it kinda "eh". There are just too many moments his episode that fell flat for me, the gelf stuff, the Universe stuff...it just didn't do much for me.

9. Angelic_Storm

I think in the context of this particular Series, it's not one of the strongest episodes (at least. that's my opinion after just one viewing), but I'd still put it clearly above the weaker episodes in all of the series' post-Series VI. Unlike those series' there hasn't been a single episode that I've really cringed at, and felt has been detrimental to the Series as a whole. Series X did have a couple of episodes I thought were really flirting with the worst of VII/VIII territory, but I haven't felt that way about any Series XI episode so far. In terms of consistency, it's getting closer to the pre-Series VII standard, although it's not quite there yet.

10. Slainmonkey

Oh it's certainly not a contender for worst of Red Dwarf, it's kinda kinda flat and like Samsara before it felt stale. I will say it's interesting given how comparatively fresh much of the series xi has felt so far (rushed endings aside). Now if I like next weeks episode I'll come away feeling pretty positively about this new series, I mean I doubt Doug would choose to end the series on a stinker, right?

11. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Certainly with the episode synopsis and the footage in the opening sequence which we've not seen yet, it looks like it could be a good one.

12. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

Good episode, I would put it in third place so far, The Gelfs finally look as if they are a real lifeforms as aposed to something from a haloween shop, The reason Lister was using the pruners was because he has a middle age spread and can no longer bite his tonails,
    It was nice to see what Butler became with solitude, rather than going insane through his lonleness he dedicated his time to learning. I guess if morgan freeman , sorry the universe had given him his information he could have become anything. The backgrohnd shots of reddwarf in front of the planet and 3 suns was well done. I said in an earlier post that story aside all episodes have had superior lighting and filming techniques(shaky hand cams apart) great sets epically the one where they meet Shaky.
    Hopefully next week will finish on a high. Highlights this season so far was Give and Take
    Ratings for me

Give and take 9
    Samsara 8
    Twenties 8
    Officer Rimmer 6
    Krysis 8

13. Angelic_Storm

I really liked Samsara. The worst aspect of that episode for me, was the flashback scenes. I liked how they advanced the plot, but the way they were executed left a bit to be desired. But overall, I thought it was a very good episode.

I'm certainly feeling more positive about this series, than I was with Series X with one episode still to view. I feel the missteps in that Series by this point were far greater, and more prevelent than is the case with Series XI. Series X ended very strongly, despite being preceded by two poor episodes, so Im hoping this Series ends in a similar vein. It would be a shame for the series to end on a dud, when the standard of the first 5 episodes has fluctuated between good and great. Hopefully that will not happen!

14. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

one thing which is bugging me.....why is the bunk room always dark in this series? its like they forgot to money in the power meter. I understand that this ep was set at 6am in the bunkroom, but every scene I can think of so far has been very very dark in the bunkroom.

15. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Red dwarf have been encountering human spaceships and space-stations since they found the Nova 5 back in Series Two, this episode was nothing new in that respect. What was new is that for the last ten series' they've had a machine that locates human spaceships, but we've never seen them use it or even mention it till now. You'd think they'd be using it all the time.

The part where they went into stasis to get to the Nova 3 made me wonder why they don't go into stasis to get back to Earth, as per their plan in Future Echoes.

Kryten being 2,976,000 years old made my ears prick up. Assuming it's approximately 3002343 then Kryten was created around 26343. This is approximately 24,000 years after Lister & Rimmer's time, and by far the latest reference we have for humans still existing while Lister was in stasis. This contradicts Back in the Red I where Kryten was created in 2340, but if Lister was in stasis for 3000000 years then that can't be right because 2340 + 2976000 = 2978340. Although, maybe when Holly told Lister he'd been in stasis for three million years, he wasn't being precise. Maybe Lister was in stasis for two-million-nine-hundred-odd-thousand-years, and Holly rounded it to the nearest million. If Back in the Red I is right, then we've just definitively been told that we are in the year 2978340.

There was also a discussion about the lifespan of a mech, and it was deduced that Kryten was in the middle of his normal lifespan. But we learned in The Last Day that Kryten is actually well past his normal lifespan. Presumably Hudzen-10 hadn't gotten to Butler yet, even though he was an earlier model and should have been expired first.

The fleet of "GELF gunships" showing up out of the blue make me wonder what else is going on out there. We get these occasional glimpses of a universe teeming with GELF civilisations, but the Dwarfers show little interest in them apart from Lister drinking with them once or twice. The ones that don't hate humans, anyway. I noticed these particular GELFs seemed to hate humans in much the same way that Simulants do. Which again made me wonder why they hate humans since humans are supposedly long-extinct, and if they were surprised to see one since quite possibly they've never seen one before. Do GELFs learn about humans like we learn about dinosaurs?

16. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

Great episode, but how come the ending theme tune is shorter? Skips out the first few seconds of it, which felt a bit jarring.

Brilliant episode though, not the best one from XI but certainly not the worst.

17. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

I though about Hudzen as well, but summaries that my phone is up for renewal every 18 months, but my old one is perfectly servicable...its just a ploy to get new tech and sell more devices...like Hudzen.

As for dates I think Kryten probably is 2340 but they have been through so many wormholes and stasis trips off camera that the years are all wonky.

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Even Kryten acting out of character in this episode couldn't detract from the fact that season 11 really feels like Red Dwarf in a way that seasons 7 to 10 didn't. Why is this? It's probably a few things, but the improved acting and storylines have played a significant part in it. And did you all notice that Lister's pyjamas featured a couple of familiar figures:
    [​IMG]

Various thoughts:

• Rimmer's 'the best of Mozart' line was very reminiscent of Alan Partridge's 'the best of the Beatles' joke.
    • I could have done without those over-enthusiastic whoops when Kryten showed off his new look. We've had a few of these over the top reactions this season.
    • Once again the visuals in this episode were phenomenal - that space station was my favourite.
    • How great is it to have those early season-style external shots where the camera runs over the outside of Red Dwarf with the old opening theme playing? They also just feel like they belong in the episode and not simply tagged on to play up to the fans.
    • Kryten's mid-life crisis was handled better than I feared it would be. For the most part it avoided season 8 style pantomime, though not entirely.
    • I'm not much of an art fan, but I liked those surreal paintings hanging in Butler's Legionesque gallery.

Funniest line:
    Kryten: "I came off the conveyor belt two-million, nine-hundred and seventy-six thousand years ago today. Where did all the years go?"

Overall: The premise of Kryten having a mid-life crisis was handled reasonably well, and the storyline was pretty good, managing to go off in a couple of unexpected directions. I just wish there had been more to laugh at.

Rating: 7/10

19. Slainmonkey

Something that struck me instantly was that Butler was wearing the Kryten suit of series X sans the daft shoulder hoops.....so does that mean the suit design changes are just Kryten changing his mech cover?

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Dear Doug,

Thanks for the detailed description of a mid-life crisis. In the next episode could you please have the characters talk about it for another ten minutes as if they are Blue Peter presenters explaining Quantum mechanics to a pre-schooler?
    I don't think we heard the phrase 'mid-life crisis' quite enough in this episode, what with the mere 147 times that you had characters say the words 'mid-life-crisis.'
    For the DVD release can we have bonus scenes where Cat talks about having a mid-life crisis and Rimmer talks about having a mid-life crisis. Also the episode title should be 'Mid-life-Crisis' as I wasn't certain what the theme of the episode was on first viewing.

Also can you have Lister narrate more visual gags just so that we can be absolutely clear what gross thing he is doing? I'm sure this was a big help to visually impaired people. If you have him say the words 'Smeg' multiple times while doing it this will really enhance the self-parody and you might even top Series 8 in the comedy stakes!

Might I add that the way you had Kryten suddenly discover that love was what gave life meaning was so organic it could practically have been sold at Waitrose. I mean, it's not as if you spent the whole episode highlighting just how little regard everyone else had for him or how they all took him for granted (ridiculously convoluted plan to snap him out of it aside).

P.S Can the next episode be an episode of Red Dwarf again...only if I wanted to watch Futurama I would, since it's actually funny and can do philosophical stuff that Red Dwarf once excelled at. Also Futurama hasn't yet almost destroyed its central concept for the sake of yet another laboured gag about being put on hold on the telephone.

Woeful :-(

2/10