RDXI Ep 5 - KRYSIS - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Whisper, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Sounds like bedfordfalls is having a Krysis.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

That could well be the case...I am edging towards 40.

But that still doesn't mean I liked this episode. I was worried from the outet about the premise (by the way, why did all the pre-show blurb talk about this episode involving Kryten looking to join a younger crew when this didn't happen at all?).

The best Kryten episodes are the ones where he is cast as a sympathetic figure and we can really feel the love that the other characters have for him. (DNA, Camille and The Last Day). The worst ones are where he is portrayed as irritating and unlikable (Beyond a Joke and the irredeemable Krytie TV).

In this episode he was portrayed as stupid and not particularly useful. Despite Lister trying to help him it also reinforced another trope of Doug's Solo RD that I don't like: the idea that Lister treats him like a lackey. What happened to the Lister who hated all that master slave stuff? I din't know at which point Doug decided it would be funny for Lister to let Kryten fuss all over him but whenever he writes such a scene, and he does it with increasing frequency, it really rubs me the wrong way.

Also, would it have killed them to have revealed that SIU stood for "Simulated Intelligent Universe" or something else that didn't make it feel like the crew had an actual conversation with...well, the universe! I think I'd have settled for another episode without an ending for ten such seconds of reveal.

I read a review just now that said this episode brought the reviewer to tears.

To paraphrase Cat, "Are we watching the same stuff?" :shock:

3. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

This was a pretty light, silly episode. There's nothing wrong with having an episode or two like that in a series. There were some laughs for me, and I was satisfied enough after watching it, but I didn't feel it was as strong as the last two episodes. The midlife crisis theme was rammed down our throats a little. Actually, a lot. Perhaps that was intended to set us up for the episode's main gag with the Universe. Kryten's rude boy act felt a little out of place. It was humerus enough on a first watch, because it wasn't something I expected of Red Dwarf, but I suspect it will make me cringe on subsequent viewings. I totally expected the champagne to be poisoned, because it seemed so emphasised that Lister took a beer. I expected Lister would be left alone trying to save his unconscious crew mates from yet another psychotic droid. I wonder if that was intended.

I thought the notion of speaking to the Universe on an old telephone felt very Douglas Adams, and I thought it worked well. I liked that the Universe was fallible, not omniscient or omnipotent.

As I've said before over the years, and someone mentioned on this thread, it's a niggling conundrum that no species seems shocked to see a human suddenly appear in their midst, even those cultures oddly still obsessed with humans, such as simulants and some GELFs.

The only scene that annoyed me was Butler teaching everyone to pronounce a syllable of GELF. A funny enough idea in itself, once again ruined by Doug's apparent feeling that the longer something is repeated, the funnier it gets.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You make a good point here, and in Krysis his portrayal felt a bit too season 8 for my liking. But there was just enough of the other Red Dwarf elements (not least the interesting storyline) to not let it bother me too much. I don't know how others feel, but there's just something about this season that feels really Dwarfy to me. For the first time since season 6, the show finally feels like Red Dwarf to me.

That's exactly the first thought that came into my mind when I saw the scene.

5. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

That might well be the case, but it felt very heavy handed a way to deliver that point, what with it being trivial, with no plot relevance. My version of the same scene would have Rimmer and Cat taking their champagne and walking off with Butler, and Lister just grabbing a beer after they'd gone and catching them up. I don't know why dialogue was wasted on the preference Lister has for beer over champagne.

6. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Everyone's an expert writer, aren't they? :roll:

7. Pumpkinikki

Pumpkinikki Console Officer

Better than I expected. Really liked the character of Butler (or liked to dislike maybe), smug people never fail to amuse me. Another slightly odd ending (bit of a running theme this series) but at least it didn't have the abruptness of Officer Rimmer's ending. So overall, pretty good.

8. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Oh, I loved that - but then, I also loved the extended Rimmer salute from series 8. Just goes to show that humour is very idiosyncratic!

As someone who has a lot of goodwill for the show, I'm glad that this wasn't a controversial episode. I honestly thought a lot of fans would be incensed by the ending.

Clearly, I'm not the only one who thought it was Hitch Hiker's Guide-esque. It felt like Deep Thought, and also the bit where they find God's last message to creation.

I didn't think the ending was "bad", as such. It just felt like a *massive* tonal departure for Red Dwarf. It took me out of my suspension of disbelief because it was so different to anything I'd seen before. To me, Red Dwarf is a show where space is big and lonely and empty - "it's cold outside," etc. - but suddenly, the universe is a normal guy who rings you up and frets about his achievements. It was extremely cartoonish and didn't float my boat. Having said which - the special effects for the space station were great (I also loved the three suns exterior).

On the whole, I *did* enjoy it. I was worried about red Kryten, and the scene introducing him was even more "cringe" than I feared. However, that was sort of the whole point - and it didn't outstay its welcome.

I thought Butler was one of the best ever guest turns on Red Dwarf, and I loved the new improved gelfs. As noted above, I thought the impromptu language lesson was very funny (in fact, it's contesting the top slot for laughs this series).

In a weird way, I think Krysis might be my second favourite ep of the series so far - after Officer Rimmer. I can't really explain why, given my comments above. But there was a lot to like, and I sort of felt a bit challenged too. If nothing else, it's good that Red Dwarf can still surprise me after all these years!

9. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

Feels like the characters should have spent more time with the Universe. Like,they felt a bit too minor and underused, considering they are literally the sentient version of the smegging Universe!

Hopefully on the DVD there'll be a deleted scene where there's a bit more dialogue with it, because I found it such an interesting concept and I wish it was explored a bit more.

10. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

It's like Doug just wanted to emphasise that Lister is working-class, as if we haven't figured that out by now. I also thought Lister saying he was choosing a beer was a setup for something, but it didn't go anywhere. Lister could've just chosen a beer, I don't see why we needed to have the camera linger on him while he told us "I'll have a beer [as opposed to everyone else's wine]". I got thinking about poison, and then I got thinking about whether poison could affect a hologram. Then I got thinking, if you're planning to poison them, why would you provide a non-poisoned option.

11. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Back down we go with another poor episode for me. This was barely even an episode really, seemed very light on ideas that weren't taken from series 3 episode 'The Last Day'. Twas pretty ridiculous and unfunny frankly.

They just happen to have tech from the Nova 5??? Way back from the series 2 era??!!

Then they just happen to lock on to another Nova ship just like that, fly there and discover an old series 4000 mechanoid still working fine! Then the whole chatting with the universe thing was just plain stupid. Was the voice of the universe supposed to sound like an impression of Morgan Freeman?

With all the space travelling these guys do you'd think they would come across some actual alien lifeforms a bit more. Need some more creature features with real aliens.

What is it with these GELFs? They clearly have an advanced civilisation that can build their own ships, but we don't see much more about them. They also seem to be everywhere but never act surprised when they come across humans? So do they come across humans a lot?? Why so hostile? surely they can't come across lifeforms that much, you'd think they would be more open.

They used the stasis booths in this episode to travel a vast distance it seems, why not do this more often? Why not try and get back to the Milky Way this way??

Everything about this episode seemed very weak to me, almost like a collection of abandoned ideas from the past just tossed together. So far many of these new episodes are just rehashed of older classic episodes if you ask me. That's why they seem more like retro Red Dwarf, they're just rehashing it.

12. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Watching it again.....it's alright, nothing great but not really bad either. It's certainly the second weakest episode this series. I don't see this being one that I'd come back to visit often but there actually is some heart to this episode which elevates it above Samsara's mediocrity. So far I would rank the episodes this series as following:

Twentica - 8
    Samsara - 5
    Give and Take - 9
    Officer Rimmer - 7
    Krysis - 6

13. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Three million years into deep space.
    Humanity presumed long-extinct.
    Kryten gets "the new DX-87 shell".

How can Kryten get "the new" anything. It can't have come in a mailpod because Kryten wasn't a Red Dwarf crewmember to be receiving three million year old mail on Red Dwarf. Although, in The Last Day the Dwarfers get a (presumably three million year-old) letter from DivaDroid informing them Kryten is due to expire and they've sent a replacement. So I suppose DivaDroid mail had a homing beacon that locked onto the specific droid no matter where he was, which is convenient. But why would DivaDroid have sent Kryten's owners a replacement and then sent him a new shell? Or has Kryten had "the new shell" all along?

14. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I suspect that this is the case. He's always had it, just has never felt the need to wear it before, as he's always been sensible and mature.

Having now watched it 3 times, I still feel it is middle-of-the-road Dwarf. It's neither classic Dwarf, nor is it dredging the depths alongside the Series' weakest moments. It's a good, solid episode with some genuinely funny moments, but is not strong enough as a whole to elevate it to classic status. It is probably the weakest episode of Series XI so far, but is clearly a cut above the weaker episodes in the last 3 Series (and all of BTE). Where this episode really succeeds, is moments you'd expect to be cringeworthy, are actually funny because you are supposed to cringe at them. The slapstick serves a purpose, so therefore, it initiates laughter and smiles, instead of shaking the head. lol

I would score the series so far thusly:

Twentica - 7
    Samsara - 8
    Give And Take - 9
    Officer Rimmer - 7 1/2
    Krysis - 7

15. Slainmonkey

They they are also picking up junk from derelicts, so Kryten could have literally gotten it from anywhere. It's only "new" in the sense that it was unused...for all we know Kyrten has a whole bunch of spare, unused Mech Shells.

16. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I was dreading this episode to be honest. The clips of dancing red Kryten in the opening credits made me think we were in for some Series 8 grade mediocrity.

But it was far better than I thought and his dancing actually was right for the scene and made me laugh. Not the series best episode but I enjoyed most of it. It made me laugh and I loved the callbacks to David Ross's Kryten episode with the Butler character.

The GELF gags went on a bit too long and in an episode that only lasts half an hour that kind of drawn out joke makes me so tetchy I feel like watching an old DIY wallpapering VHS.

Apart from that though it seemed to be paced properly, and felt like it fitted into the half hour correctly and didn't feel hastily rushed at the end. The structure was there.

Some of the best sets and shots too. Really liked those tracking shots of Red Dwarf during the Stasis trip.

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Nobody going to comment on the most important aspect of this episode then? I.e. the images on Lister's pyjamas:

[​IMG]

18. Slainmonkey

It's because we already noticed since he already wore that in Samsara....it does fit with Lister being an ex-art student and in the way he likes to customise all his clothes.

19. Ant the Dragon

Twentica - 8
    Samsara - 7
    Give And Take - 9
    Officer Rimmer - 8
    Krysis - 4

Wasn't a fan to be honest. But then I don't think there has ever been a decent Kryten-centric episode ever!

20. Ant the Dragon

His 97 minutes at art school
    Clearly paid off