RDXI Ep 5 - KRYSIS - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Whisper, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Trauntrian

Trauntrian Skutter

Sorry to be pedantic. Jesus was played by James Baxter, from Sunderland, speaking with his own Sunderland accent. Jesus was definitely not a geordie!

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I have a thought about this episode, and that was that it was meeting The Universe that really turned Butler around to make something of himself and exceed his programming far more then Kryten has. It's my theory that is why Butler wanted Kryten to meet The Universe aswell, I suspect that Butler wanted it to be the enlightening experience for Kryten that it was for him!

3. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Third Technician

Just watched it a second time, or tried to atleast. I think it started off great, dipped slightly with Krytens red mech paint job (just seemed very Series 8 to me), then recovered with a great guest character with Butler. Once they find the space station though it just gets rather boring.

What i wish they had done was keep Butler around and based the episode on their relationship.

It is certainly my least favorite of the series so far.

Twentica - 7
    Samsara - 8
    Give and Take - 9
    Officer Rimmer - 9
    Krysis - 6

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

My season 11 ratings so far are:

Twentica: 8.5
    Samsara: 6
    Give and Take: 6.5
    Officer Rimmer: 8
    Krysis: 7

I might give Krysis another watch sometime soon. I feel that this is the kind of episode that's going to go up and up in my estimation - there were so many great ideas going on in there that I feel it deserves a third viewing. Maybe I'll wait until it comes on TV. This of all seasons really deserves to be seen on a big screen.

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Can I just say that I love that you made an account to correct this. :P

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Sorry to be pedantic but what Gemzi posted is a direct quote of what Doug said in the Series X "Making of" documentary that came with the DVD and wherever James Baxter actually came from, the rationale for picking an actor with a strong North Eastern English accent was that he thought a Geordie Jesus would be funny.

7. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I think this episode just made me love Red Dwarf a little bit more. Yes, it's not the funniest episode of the series, but it's certainly an unusual and thought-provoking one. Mostly, though, it just left me feeling really happy (if a little wistful).

Maybe it's an age thing - I'm not quite at the mid-life crisis stage yet, but I did have a significant birthday earlier this year which definitely left me thinking 'where did the years go??'. So this episode really resonated with me - as others have pointed out, it's funny because it's essentially true. I particularly recognised the smug (yet annoyingly nice!) overachiever Butler - have definitely met a couple of those. It's also interesting to see the show dispense with cynicism for once and strike a genuinely emotional note. I agree that Kryten's realisation that the love of friends (specifically his relationship with Lister, in contrast to Butler's hollow accomplishments) is what has given his life purpose could have been made a bit more explicit, but it's an easy enough conclusion to reach. I like it when Red Dwarf has the odd profound moment like this.

I've been loving this series so much, I really don't want it to end. I've even started doing what I always do with a book I love - rationing it out so I can enjoy it for longer. I watched half of Krysis on Saturday and wouldn't let myself watch the full episode till Monday. Still hope they get rid of the on-line previews for XII though, I'd rather not have the option to watch in such a strange way!

My thoughts exactly on series XI. It's just been fantastic!

8. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I'm definitely in two minds about the early previews. On the one hand, great! Red Dwarf early! But on the other, I'd quite like to just wait and watch it with everyone else, at a normal time.

I'm quite lucky, though, in that it isn't so much a "strange way" for me to watch it -- at least if you excuse the fact that I watch it usually in the morning rather than the evening. As I have Sky, I download it to my box so I can still watch it in HD on a massive screen without the buffering, quality and sync issues you can get streaming it on a small screen PC.

9. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Did anyone else notice how the GELFs teleported Butler aboard their ship? And in Back to Earth the Dwarfers scoff at the idea saying "that's Star Trek".

10. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

That line had a number of issues as we had also seen teleporters used before that, Stimulants have been seen using teleporters in series 6 and 7.....hell the Dwarfers even use the Simulant's teleporter in Rimmerworld. Also this was the second episode this series that teleporters have been used, the Expanoids used them in Twentica aswell!

[EDIT] Also there was the teleporters aboard the titular ship, in the episode Trojan...the very first episode after Back to Earth!

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Also in BtE, the comic book guy uses the Star Trek term for such a device 'transporter', hence the joke. While the technology exists in the Red Dwarf universe, it's not used by the crew that often,and the devices are called 'teleporters'.

Actually the earliest use of such a device was Wax World, where it was referred to as a 'matter paddle'. And that was a long range matter transporter. They never did explain why they never used that to return to Earth, as according to Holly's description of the range, it could have been utilised. Unless Holly was actually uncertain where Earth actually was...

Later on it got remade into the Triplicator, so that's a reason of sorts, but one wonders why it wasn't used before that.

12. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I think this was the weakest episode of XI so far for me. Still good though, I did pick up on the Series 3000 issue, although I think people are getting unduly bent out of shape on it as Red Dwarf has always been a bit flexible when it comes to continuity. Doug's explanation satisfies me, personally I'd rationalised it that at least some of the 3000s that were recalled got re-skinned with 4000-style casings to make them more acceptable to the general public and reissued rather than just being scrapped, but "Reality Bubbles" works just as well.

It got a bit silly with Kryten sort of running around when he first appears in his red casing, but that was a thankfully brief part of the episode.

The scenes with Butler were for the most part great, although (And I seem to be in the minority on this) I didn't find the scene where Butler's trying to teach them the correct pronunciation of the Gelf word funny at all and IMO it dragged on for far too long.

The ending just didn't work for me however, the intelligent universe reminded me a bit of the Futurama episode Godfellas. I can't really put my finger on it, but it really just didn't seem to fit in an episode of Red Dwarf. It's another one where the ending seemed a bit of a rush to reach a conclusion.

A good episode though, I still definitely enjoyed it. Just not particularly great.

13. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I have to agree with you here Simon, I think everyone got the joke straight away and there was no need for it to be repeated to death which made it irritating and unfunny. It almost seemed that the thought was "Hmm we don't have enough script to fill 30mins so lets fill 3 mins of it with ack,ack,a,hack,a,cack".

14. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Hmm... from my perspective, the repetition was the joke. Butler telling Kryten how to pronounce a word wouldn't be funny - but the way they did it repeatedly, until the rest of the crew joined in, made me laugh. It was the mounting absurdity of the scene that got me.

Take that aspect away, and I'm not even sure what there is to get?

15. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

The repetition was the funny part, and it seems to be something of which Doug is particularly fond. The problem is, he always seems to take it beyond the point that it's still funny. The absurdity mounts past the point of funny, and into the just plain absurd. And annoying. I've felt that way about a few scenes from series VIII onwards.

16. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Yeah, for me the reality bubbles explanation makes perfect sense.

17. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Well the repetition is the joke, agreed but by the point the crew join in was just past where it was funny, far too long. It was similar with Captain Holister and the 'See you in 10 minutes' time wand joke which again was very funny UNTIL it went past the point of being funny.

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

For me the joke was that having seen all the stuff that Butler had done which Kryten hadn't had any time for, even in an area which Kryten could with some justification consider one of his strengths, Gelf languages, Butler still overachieved compared to him. I'd have dropped the comment from Butler about it being a trickier dialect than Kinatowawi too, just to reinforce that.

Your tastes may differ of course, but I just didn't find the repetition funny to begin with, the longer it went on the less funny it got IMO.

Still, when that scene started I thought they were going to go with "things are going fine thanks to Butler until Kryten has to interject with what he thinks is a compliment, only he mispronounces a word slightly and actually says the most dreadful insult and they're in even more trouble than before". Even if the actual end result wasn't a particularly good pay off for me, at least it was better than what I initially thought we were going to get.

19. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

I liked the "Maaah" gag, it started off funny then stopped being funny after a certain point, but then it carried on going for so long that it became funny again. I reckon it worked.

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

My problem with the pronunciation gag was its obviousness - after a few seconds I knew where it was going and knew everyone else would be joining in to show Kryten how to pronounce the word properly. And ultimately the joke felt very forced. Has this kind of joke been done before? Not on Red Dwarf I mean but elsewhere. It did have a strong feeling of familiarity about it when I was watching. It certainly reminded me of a Smith and Jones sketch from way back in the 1990s (by coincidence starring Charles Augins as what else but a dance choreographer) where Griff Rhys Jones is unable to get a certain dance move correct and soon everyone in the studio - including the cameramen - is joining in to show him how to do it.