RDXI Ep 5 - KRYSIS - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Whisper, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

It was the scene that left me coldest in the whole episode, I really didn't find it funny at all.

2. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Caught up with Krysis late on Dave. It broke the chain of what I saw being every episode of XI being better than the last, but... I still liked it. It was a good fifth episode, if that makes sense: a calm before the storm type of story/atmosphere. Sorta like this series's Dear Dave.

I was secretly hoping that this would be the best Kryten-centric episode since, say, series IV but boy oh boy wasn't Kryten depressing in this episode or what? :P Makes sense since it was an episode that dealt with the point of existence but still, I suppose I prefer a chirpier Kryten (I thought his first scene in the Ferrari red was hilarious, btw). That said, it was just great that Kryten has now had his own episode again. It's been a while. Plus, Robert Llewellyn put in a really good performance has our Kryten with a midlife crisis.

Another plus point was, again, great new guest characters. Really liked Butler and Universe (still can't believe it wasn't Terry Mynott providing the voice for the latter). And despite certainly not laughing as much as I was when watching Officer Rimmer, there were still plenty of good gags scattered throughout the episode.

Didn't like the resolution though: as in, life being worthwhile because there was love in the world. Felt a bit cliché, cheesy even (hope I'm not getting cynical in my "old" age :eek:ops:-). And then the final scene... it wasn't flat or anything like that, but the editing is so abrupt. I don't got why all the episodes are finishing like this. Meh.

So to conclude, Krysis for me wasn't as good as Give and Take or Officer Rimmer, but I definately preferred it on first viewing to Twentica and Samsara (I'm looking forward to watching all these episodes back on DVD (and seeing how much my opinion changes)). Any way, let's say a liquid 7 out of 10 (as opposed to a solid seven).

3. squeal mold

squeal mold Flight Co-Ordinator

Jesus Christ, at least we've descended to the sea bed now and can't go any lower. Mid-life crisis jokes, really? I thought I was watching a bad jasper carrot routine from the eighties. Terrible storyline, backed up by woefully lame and massively overstretched 'jokes'. this was season 8 bad, with jokes that had punch lines that could have being seen coming 3 million years back when he originally left earth. Truly terrible

4. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Although I thought Officer Rimmer was very strong, I actually felt that this was the better episode. With a potentially cringeworthy concept of one of the characters having a mid-life crisis I think Doug has pulled it off IMHO and it is very welcome to have a Kryten episode again.

For a start in terms of the plot I found the callbacks to series 2 excellent because it is nice that amongst all the retconning of Red Dwarf there is also some continuity too. The characterisation of the Butler android was brilliant as it impressively blended the traits of our Kryten and the David Ross version together - again a great callback to the classic years. Like others have said he is both smug but not dislikeable at the same time - a multifaceted character by Doug and not a caricature. The Nova 3 set is excellent also and once again Red Dwarf 11 looks light years ahead of the already good looking series 10 on an even smaller budget.

Another thing I adored about the story of the episode was the way there were some scenes travelling on Starbug (a bit series 6) and the GELFs were brought back. Although they were not a massive part of this episode they had a sufficient enough involvement in the Butler's plan to make it a worthwhile reappearance for the first time since 1997's series 7 I think. Although others maybe won't agree I also thought the GELF looked fine.

But in terms of the plot the main reason why I thought this was even better than Officer Rimmer was because it had a better end. Really when you think about it the sentient universe is possibly more for the realms of fantasy as opposed to sci-fi but saying that unless Doug intended for us to work out that it was some kind of AI there has to be a creator of the universe after all. Bottom line although I did enjoy the pay-off scene I do wonder whether Doug should have had as a punchline at the end or in the next episode like Waiting For God's introduction that it was in fact not a genuine encounter with the universe more a computer that was part of Butler's plan. But it was quite an effective pay off scene still, the spaceship looked stunning and crucially it led to a proper ending with a twist at the end and was humorous too.

The twist at the end that it was all Butler's plan all along to cure Kryten's midlife crisis by contriving to lead the Dwarfers to the universe interaction is what really elevated this episode above the previous one for me. It was classic comedy and a laugh out loud moment as you did in fact realise that Butler was the more intelligent one after all and as there was room for the twist the episode felt more complete - probably the second best ending to a series 11 show besides Give and Take!

In terms of the comedy of the episode it was very funny throughout and the scenes of Kryten's crisis were like others have said intended by Doug to look deliberately cringeworthy to convey the ridiculousness of his mid-life crisis. I laughed so much at that scene with his flash new sports car style fast speed outer suit and even the loud music/dance was very funny too IMHO. As well as the supremely comic twist at the end, my favourite comedy of the episode were the scenes with Butler - such an insanely funny conveying of those intellectual types! Although some people have criticised the jokes in this episode the only part I would criticise and call a bit of padding was the pronunciation scene - it was right that it went on quite a long time but it did outstay its welcome slightly after a while and you can't help but feel it was to fill out the episode to the full half hour. But it did only slightly last too long as a joke and was otherwise very funny like the rest of the show.

Although I will have to see whether I still enjoy the universe scene as much on future viewings, I still think this is the strongest out of episodes four and five IMHO. Anyway Red Dwarf is famous for its silliness so I wonder whether I will probably end up liking the universe scene even more in fact anyway after future watches once I am even more used to it. Some people have been critical about Kryten's realisation that love is the most important thing when in conversation with the universe but I don't mind it despite its cheesiness as it is an effective pay off for his mid-life crisis IMHO. But it's the way that it leads up to the comedy gold twist at the end with it all being part of the hilarious Butler's plan all along that takes it above the already very entertaining Officer Rimmer though for me. It's not abrupt and unlike series 10 the problem of the dodgy episode 5 has been resolved IMHO. I also appreciate with this episode that for once Doug has chosen a different path and it is not a demented droid like say Asclepius, The Inquisitor, Hudzen 10 etc and in fact one that wants to help - it feels different and yet totally welcome as a change from the usual. Once again I was so excited by what I had seen that it took me ages to fall asleep on Thursday night and series 11 has a cohesive Dwarfy (as Bluey would say) feel and yet quite a few styles mixed within. This Red Dwarf run has been sensational to look forward to on each Thursday and Krysis was yet another thoroughly enjoyable episode and pretty vintage. If Can of Worms can top it off and maybe be even better (I'm waiting to watch it on Dave on Thursday once again - the series 11 experience lasts longer anyway that way) then this has been certainly a pretty excellent series.

8.25 out of 10.

5. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I loved it! Best of the series so far. This one also improved on second watch.

The Kryten in new red skin scene with that 360 degree spin; how did they do that? The bass bins thumping away getting Cat to dance.

The GELF language lesson - comedy brilliance. If it had been described to me before seeing it, I would have thought oh no, not at all funny. But its enactment was precisely the opposite. Seeing Kryten's scowly face as he keeps getting it wrong was so funny, then the GELF on his little screen starts joining in, magnificent. As has already been mentioned here, it's probably the absurdity of it all which makes it work.

And after all the odd endings, we have one of pure perfection. Kryten again ramping up his levels of annoyance, then the scene cuts away to Starbug exterior shot and we hear Kryten yell, "You have him on speed dial?" - cue Theme Tune - sheer excellence!

9/10.

6. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Couldn't stop laughing! :lol:

7. Strat-tastic

Just thinking about the GELF lesson gets me giggling :-D

8. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Agreed - this scene didn't do it for me the first time, but it seems to get funnier with every rewatch. And yes, it's the GELF popping up on screen to join in that really gets me now! It's just all so brilliantly daft.

By the way, how should we be spelling the GELF's name? Ekwa-Hekte, Equa-Hek-tai, Eck-wa-Hekk-te? I notice he was only called 'GELF chief' in the credits, but it's such a great name I'd really like to know!

9. Strat-tastic

Ekqwaha-Heqte.

It's all in the throat.

10. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

:lol:

11. Kittypaws

It's Kryten himself that had me almost on the floor from laughing so much....! :-D:lol:

12. Strat-tastic

I'd like to know what kry10 thought of this episode :?

13. Selodaoc

Selodaoc Skutter

Anyone know the name of the music kryten plays? :-)

14. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Shazam won't pick it up. Too much laughing :lol:

15. Strat-tastic

I can accept that Lister's kidneys may not have been removed, I can also accept that Cat didn't actually meet a lady cat, but Kryten did not consider joining a younger crew, it was merely a line from Cat (I think). There wasn't even a younger crew in the episode.

Hmph :?

16. Androidsandbeingasleep

Androidsandbeingasleep Third Technician

Thought this one was a bit average. Some funny bits though, enjoyed the maaaaah scene.

17. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

What cured Kryten's mid-life crisis?

18. smegrightoff

smegrightoff Third Technician

Thinking that he had outdone Butler, and something about "love exists" or some wish wash pish posh!

19. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Thinking he had outdone Butler presumably means it all got undone and he lapsed back into mid-life crisis at the end. So I suppose it was the realisation that the crew love him. Well, that Lister and Cat love him. Well, that Lister loves him.

20. Kittypaws

I liked Butler's voice.