RDXI Ep 5 - KRYSIS - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Whisper, Oct 13, 2016.

1. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Otherwise a brilliant episode but I noticed the episode length was about a minute shorter than it could have been I think and I really feel they should have included the deleted scene where Butler cures Lister's in growing toe-nail. It adds even more to the story of Kryten's jealousy and annoyance at Butler as even the former's health care is inferior and it is a pay-off to Lister's health issue in the episode. It would have made the line about Kryten's "cure" for hiccups even funnier too as it like I said highlights Butler's superiority at everything even looking after his favourite Lister.

Such a shame it didn't get included as it would have made one of the top stand out episodes of series 11 even better.

FeeBee likes this.
  2. DrDebilotnik

DrDebilotnik Third Technician

I didn't enjoy that much this talking Universe thing, looked far away from the usual comedy standards this season...
    Despite that, a pretty funny episode!

3. UltraDevotee

The scene with "Uni" shouldn't really work because after all Norman Lovett's Holly remarks that they are travelling through a "godless" universe or something like that and after all the universe being sentient kind of contradicts that. But although that slightly unnerves me when I watch that scene ultimately I am very satisfied with it as a pay off and it rounds off the story well as it is for me funny, looks amazing and after all it could be seen as sci-fi to an extent too and not total fantasy because after all - without sounding too philosophical or something - there must be a creator of our universe etc. So I am very pleased with it as a pay off ultimately and Krysis is an excellent Red Dwarf episode.

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Krysis was officially described as "Kryten has a mid-life crisis and considers leaving the Dwarfers for a younger crew". Who were the younger crew.

5. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I noticed that too.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

He was indeed the highlight of the episode and was one of the most memorable guest performances of recent seasons.

7. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

I agree. KRY10 is the highlight of the forum

8. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

It's a real source of annoyance to me that the incorrect blurb - presumably based on an early version of the script? - appears on the back of the DVD case.

EDIT: Although at least it wasn't the wrong episode titles, lol!

9. UltraDevotee

My take on the "younger crew" line in the episode summary is I suppose it must mean that in a non-literal sense. When the Cat has that particular phrase in his dialogue in Krysis it is meant in a jokey way like as in how a man in a mid-life crisis might leave his wife for a younger woman. Unless there was indeed an earlier version of a plot with a younger crew, probably it is meant to be seen as a non-literal joke.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Krysis is probably the better episode of Series XI and thats because its simplistic and Doug isn't trying throw in so many ideas.

Although i ain't fond of the universe stuff.

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  11. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Ah, thank you! I missed that line, but you're right - it's in the script.

I still think the blurb over-eggs it, but at least it doesn't feel like an outright production error now :-)

12. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Alright then, Krysis on my re-watch, and... I just can't really bring myself to like it. Look, I understand that there are people who like it, people who even think it's the best of series 11, but for the life of me I just can't find much of redemption under the cover.

The plot is a weird, mixed batch which does manage to revolve around a central theme, but not much more. Here, we start out on Red Dwarf in a fair enough scenario, and even the trip to the Nova 3 works well enough. But the second half of the episode I just feel it falls down a bit with the Starbug scene (I don't think they mention why they're taking Butler to Red Dwarf, but I imagine it's so he can upgrade the ship a bit) and the Universe.

Okay, okay, the jokes then. We do have some good ones, especially the stuff on Red Dwarf. Maybe I just wanted the episode to not leave? Cat's "are you talking about me?" when Kryten is cursing himself for being stupid. All the cleaning stuff, especially "what's the point of cleaning above eye level?". Kryten's suit - it works, just about, again bordering on the line between good and cringe-worthy. It's probably cringe-worthy (well, it's meant to be), but in a good way. And arriving on the Nova 3, Butler is great - definitely the best guest character in RDXI. His curled lip and the smug facial expression when we first see him says it all, and how he is constantly showing Kryten up without trying.

But then we move to Starbug and, well, we already know that Butler is infinitely superior to Kryten in every way, do we really need the GELF wading in to show their appreciation too? This is just an overly long set-piece to get the crew to the intended finale, meeting the Universe.

And... well, it's just... it just doesn't work. The Universe is not believable (though it has a very good Morgan Freeman voice) and I just have to say this:

Red Dwarf now has an intelligence in it which didn't evolve on, or originate from, Earth.

Yep, the ancient "no aliens" pact has gone. Before we had killer robots from Earth, mutant GELFS who may as well have been aliens except they've been mutated on Earth, etc etc. Maybe I'm taking it too seriously (it is a comedy after all), but it felt a little like a kick in the teeth. I want Red Dwarf to be believable, to stick to the brilliant mythos and feel that it spent so much time cultivating back in the early days, of a bleak and Godless universe, but now we've got the Universe on speed-dial and can travel in time in stasis booths and shoot lasers out of Red Dwarf's ram scoop at evil GELFS who want to abduct Snacky after failing to get the meaning of life from Cat's mind.

Okay, not quite so fantastical, but Red Dwarf used to feel isolated, claustraphobic, lonely, but now we've got Lister on the phone to the local shopping channel trying to get a stirmaster and the lady from the ERRA station came along and got herself killed and the vending machines are trying to seduce Lister and...

(breathe)

Okay. Gritting my teeth. Focus. There are good things about the episode. Even some good bits about the Universe (though the only one I can come up with is that Rimmer wants proof). But this shows up something which I feel is a bit amiss about some of Red Dwarf, and to be fair it's not just the new stuff - it also applies to the old stuff too.

And that is that it needs, as I said above (albeit in a different context), focus.

There were so many episodes in the series 3-6 era when the crew just went off on one adventure. And true, there are some episodes like that here (well, two - Twentica and Samsara). Think about Terrorform, for instance. Rimmer gets captured, Kryten sends for help, the rest of the crew work to save Rimmer. In this episode, Kryten has a mid-life crisis and the crew take him to see Butler, then later encounter the Universe. Distilled down like this it still sounds the same, but it's not as straight-forward, not as linear. I know there are earlier episodes like this (look at DNA, Quarantine, White Hole) but I feel like we need to move back, in some more cases, to having the show take part in one big, unique situation that only Red Dwarf can do.

And as I say, this doesn't just apply to Krysis - Give & Take, Officer Rimmer and Can Of Worms are all guilty of starting off with plot X, evolving into plot Y, evolving a bit more with plot Z and ending up with plot AA (for a nice bit of MS Excel). Perhaps that should be by-the-by - as I say, there's certainly plots which deviated more.

Back to Krysis. This is... well, it's RDX stuff. Obviously it looks better and has the nice sets and Starbug, but it's something which could have come from RDX. I think I mentioned in a previous post that it reminds me of Entangled, which I felt was pretty good for RDX but doesn't fit in with the rest of RDXI. Or perhaps it does - the series is only 6 episodes and there have been other series of RD with what I consider rubbish episodes (Cassandra).

I occasionally thought back during this review to Dimension Jump, where Rimmer encountered Ace (who again was every bit his superior). Of course that didn't focus that much on Rimmer encountering a better version of himself, but more on the crew encountering a better version of him. I guess this could be seen as an episode which should have been more internal, focusing on Kryten's struggle rather than showing him up and doing wacky space stuff, but them's the breaks.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Yeah i do wonder whether doug is taking advantage of the Gelfs stuff abit to much now since they do seem to be becoming like aliens now with all these different types roaming the universe.

14. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

A thought occurs: are there many second-generation baby GELFs out there? Can GELFs even have babies? If so then it kinda makes sense that there are so many of them now, as they seem to be quite a randy lot.

15. UltraDevotee

Good review again but I have to say Krysis is either my third or second favourite episode of series 11. I personally think it is pretty vintage. In terms of the Dwarfers plans for Butler, I thought there was a line or two (or is it in a deleted scene) where they mention how they want to use him for all the sciency stuff back on Red Dwarf and keep Kryten for the cleaning? I might be wrong though.

The Universe scene I must admit it is a tiny tad bit disappointing that the "all alone, more a less" line is now defunct in some respects but for me it is just so outrageously ridiculous it works and it is so comical. Also to be honest although it is slightly disappointing to me - the flouting of the all other beings are from earth rule - at the same time I am not massively bothered because like I say the scene and the voice of the universe is just so funny! Also while the love line is a bit cheesy I feel it rounds off a quality episode really well - somehow it just feels right.

In terms of the focus of the episodes' plots then for me I personally thought generally series 11's tended to have a much more prominent main story compared to series 10's equal plots/sub-plots. In terms of focusing on a main story it certainly was an improvement for me though I can see your point of view a bit too. But to be honest though I do prefer a focus on a main plot because it is more like classic Dwarf and more Dwarfy I still think series 10's balanced plots were good still. But yes Can of Worms - while still a very strong episode just about - is a bit of a mess in terms of plotting, however.

Okay Krysis is more like series 10 in terms of it being a bit of a more straightforward watch but this is why I love it as it is just so great to have this and Officer Rimmer (I personally think that is a bit simpler too) as two lighter and easier episodes to balance out the more sophisticated, clever material. They are both still quality episodes and Krysis IMHO is quite a classic.

16. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

Heat me out on this one:

The idea of Kryten's crisis being funny instead of just sad needed to be communicated through the blurb so people would actually look forward to it, but they couldn't just go throwing around spoilers more than that and the outfit, really. Anything more consequential would have been too revealing.

17. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

You're right; it's in the episode proper.

18. UltraDevotee

Thought so, just wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming that for me.

Maybe it wasn't so clear in my memory as I haven't watched series 11 since March and will probably leave watching any RD 'til the new series!

Will watch series 11 next year along with the whole RD run including series 12 again next year. I personally find that if I leave time between watches it refreshes my experience of RD and I enjoy it even more. Although I am going to wait until next year to watch RD all the way through, it's just sensational that there is another series of well received - I believe - new material to look forward to this year to whet my appetite. Nice one Doug and co.

19. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

When it comes to the Universe in this episode, I like to think that it's not actually the universe, but and AI computer of the station that thinks it's the thing that it's been looking for and gone a little computer senile in the millions of years it's been missing. Otherwise it makes no sense from what we know about the fandom.

Loved Butler. I agree that the deleted scene should've been left in since it made Lister trying to attack his ingrown toe nail at the start of the episode seem less like a random bunk scene. Felt like they were trying to do a call back to him pulling nose hairs out with tonges.

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Really Doug should have left it open to interpretation, so it could be the universe or it could have been an AI that just thinks its the universe, it would have allowed abit of mystery.

Admittedly it sounds abit like what Futurama did but i do feel like doug takes some mystery out of the show these days.