RDXI Ep 5 - KRYSIS - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Whisper, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

There should have been a gag at the end after they leave the station and the camera cuts to a shot of a blinking light with "Sentient Universe Simulation" or something to that effect.

2. Santa Paws

Santa Paws Flight Co-Ordinator

*hacks out a hairball* *cough* :eek:

Wenceslas likes this.
  3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I agree with you in general but, in fairness, the latter has been established since Series 1, you could just say that they didn't really understand the technology back then. I actually thought that unlike the various hokey ways time travel has been shoehorned into other episodes (the nadir being "a futuristic Swedish shower did it") the time travel in G&T was a brilliant reworking of the Red Dwarf lore established in Stasis Leak. It's even left me hopeful that one day Doug will close up that loop with a Deep Space Nine/Star Trek: ToS style bit of nifty episode grafting.

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

What makes me roll my eyes at time-travel is the way every time-travel episode comes up with a new time-travel method, when they could just use one of the ones they've got knocking around already. During Give & Take I was thinking, why bother with this "Stasis Hack" business, just use the Time-Drive or the Casket of Chronos. The Rejuvenation Shower was so flimsy I could only interpret it as a deliberate self-parody.

The talking universe really was a mistake in my opinion. I enjoy that dark, gritty, post-apocalyptic undertone of the early series, where they're alone in a hostile, Godless universe. Turns out the universe is actually quite a nice guy.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  5. bedfordfalls

Well, if you're looking for in-universe reasons...

They don't go near the time drive for reasons well documented as it's THE particular form of time travel they want to avoid at all costs as it led directly to the future they wanted to avoid and almost permanently erased their own history. It's only been used once since Tikka to fulfill Lister's Ouroboros "holding pattern" and preserve that history so perhaps after all that they destroyed it. I don't think that the CoC allows them to time travel per-se, at least by my understanding, it allowed the expanoids to open a particular portal to the past with a limited time window that they had to race to exit. I didn't get the indication that the Dwarfers could use the casket on their own or even understood how to.
    In G&T the time travel was necessary to save Lister's life, as was following the expanoids into the past, plus when the stasis hack was mentioned, maybe Lister got the same tingle down his spine that I did and started thinking of the unresolved plot hole from Stasis Leak and was all "bugger my kidneys, I'm about to get married here!" :lol:

FeeBeeBells likes this.
  6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I'm not sure I understand why time-travel with the time-drive is more dangerous than time-travel with another gizmo. And I thought they used the Casket of Chronos themselves to return to 3000000 deep-space at the end of Twentica?

7. bedfordfalls

I'd say it's the most dangerous because it has the most power and they have proven themselves singularly incapable of handling that power.
    Put it this way, when the expanoids were given their powerpoint demonstration on "why the human race must never be allowed advanced technology" the first slide was probably accompanied by a big picture of Lister giving a goofy thumbs up from the window of the Texas book depository intercut with a shot of Rimmer dining on dolphin sweetmeats with the Hitlers! :-)

They may have done, or they may have just followed the portal created by the expanoids. The casket was never explicitly referred to as a time travel device on its own, it was some essential part of one that the expanoids already possessed. I assumed they took it to prevent its re-use but I might be wrong.

8. bedfordfalls

Having just watched this episode again, I noticed that, right before Butler teleports, Robert almost makes a flubb by going into his next line too early, only for Butler to deliver his line with perfect precision and leave Bobby with his mouth open and to emit a brief "oh..." and glance at his piece of paper with an embarrassed look. :redface:

In the context of the episode with Butler being more annoyingly perfect than Kryten in every way I love that this even extends to the line delivery of the actors. Poor Bobby. :lol:

9. Jod

Jod Third Technician

I thought this episode borrowed heavily from Legion - rehashing the renaissance man thing (and an attempt at recruiting him). It had some funny moments but Naylor overstretched with the universe idea. I am not fond of the overall silliness in this series. Red Dwarf seems to have turned into a bit of a parody of itself.

10. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Legion?!

11. Jod

Jod Third Technician

Yes, Legion.

12. BadOleSantabot

BadOleSantabot Deck Sergeant

I don't really see the Legion parallels either I'm afraid. And I guess I'm the only one who liked the sentient universe thing because I thought it fit right in to the story line. Lol, first time I watched it I thought Samuel Jackson was doing the voice acting! :redface: The main thing I didn't care for in Krysis was....... embarrassing to say, but the grin on Kryton when he was showing off his new "outfit". That's it, the Grin of all things. Thought it made him look too "boyish", a smile YES, deadpan (as in "what new outfit") yes but that grin.......... sorry.

13. Jod

Jod Third Technician

Fair enough. The parallels I saw with Legion were that in both episodes they met a polymathic entity, and in both cases tried to recruit him/it to the crew.

14. BadOleSantabot

BadOleSantabot Deck Sergeant

Well, there IS that but then...... they wanted Ace Rimmer to stay too didn't they? All in all I thought Krysis was a very good episode. Hey, ANY new R.D. is enough to make me dance in the street! ;-)

15. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

I have just had a rewatch of this episode, so forgive me for necro posting (<- is that the phrase? Reincarnposting? I used to know a lot of these internet type phrases....but I guess now I am an old lady trying to make a phone call on her TV remote)

Does anyone know if David Ross was considered for the part of Butler (incidentally not criticising Dom Coleman, I thought he did a great job) - it would have made a good meta joke to have Ross as the guy Bobby had always wanted to be when, Bobby has got 28 years (give or take) work out of the same character.

I thought Ross was quite good in Kryten; but the reports of his attitude were a bit strange - I mean it was not exactly unusual, even in those days, for performers from other genres to be in TV comedy - I mean who the heck is 'legit' until you have been in a few things? Tony Hancock and Sid James were both in the army and diverted into the entertainment branch, are they legit? Is Lenny Henry legit? As far as I can see he is a stand up comic from Dudley - but his Shakespeare roles are quite rightly renowned and he got himself a hat that he can wear at night off the back of them.

Legitimacy is an interesting thing in the art world - I have mentioned in other threads, I think Craig Charles' portrayal of Dave Lister is a truly fine piece of acting - in the early series the gags barely stop for a second, but you get to know the character and you get to care about the character - a cheeky scouse chappy could have just milked all the laughs in the script, and it would have been funny - he forged a character that people have cared about now for 30 years. Legit?

(edited sorry I spelled 'meta' as 'meat'....that would be weird!)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  16. Radio Pluto

Radio Pluto First Technician

As Craig Charles went onstage and got his tackle out in the name of comedy, he is officially legit under the eyes of Equity.

17. Repo Man

Repo Man Third Technician

I liked this episode 2. I am amazed they got Morty Freeman as the name of the God!

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Do you mean Morgan Freeman? It's not actually him, but it is a very good impersonation.

19. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Why are you here? Why are you causing trouble?