RDXI EP 6 - CAN OF WORMS - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

This is the official thread for discussion of the content of the episode CAN OF WORMS. Once the episode has appeared on UKTV Play (and NOT before), this thread may be used to discuss any and all elements of the episode. Anyone who has not seen the episode who enters this thread does so at their own risk!

Until the episode airs on Dave, you may continue to discuss it in other threads (as well as here), but only in relation to officially-released information. Once it has aired on Dave, it can be discussed in any thread in the "Red Dwarf XI Chat" conference, but you may not put plot details in thread titles.

For more information on the spoiler policy, please read this thread.

2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Does the Radio Times count as official information?

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Said Radio Times review has given me a lot of concerns about this episode given the shows past track record, I really hope that this episode exceeds my now low expectations and lives up to the qaulity that series XI has had so far!

4. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

This Series has a lot more to lose than Series X did at this same point. Series X ended on a corker, but that wasn't enough to elevate the Series as a whole, to the high status occupied by the first 6 Series. This series on the other hand, is just one great show away from entering that hallowed status, but at the same time, a stinker will deny it that place. Which makes me as apprehensive as I am excited, for the episode's launch in just over an hour's time.

5. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

What "concerns"? Why not watch it then outline your "concerns", if any?

6. Slainmonkey

To match series 6 for me (my least favourite series of the original 6), Can of Worms would need to score a 10/10...something only a small select few episodes have ever done. However I must say that I'm impressed that series 11 has gotten as close as it has so far....but I feel if this episode is a dud, it will really hurt the series for me. So yes, there is a lot riding on this episode!

7. Slainmonkey

I will mention what my concerns are (or at least were) after I've seen it, because it pertains to a massive spoiler. I just hope to be proven wrong in my concerns....I will not let this change my opinion on the final product. For all I know this episode will be fantastic, I just have my worries!

8. Ant the Dragon

I'm rooting for you, dear friend.

9. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

No. It's a review by a third party based on watching the episode, that contains information that hasn't been put out via official channels.

10. Angelic_Storm

I haven't scored a single episode this series less than 7, so Id say an 8 or more would put the Series as a whole into I-VI territory. By the time "The Beginning" aired, Id scored a couple of episodes as being 6 or less, so though I consider that particular episode to be a classic, the Series overall was never going to achieve classic status. Series XI, at least for me, has never fallen below a decent standard yet, good and great are the two categories Id put the episodes into. A true dud would undo that, so Im really hoping that does not happen! Getting excited now! xD

11. Slainmonkey

For me the scores have been:

Twentica - 8
    Samsara - 5
    Give and Take - 9
    Officer Rimmer - 7
    Krysis - 6

So if Can of Worms defies the odds and scores a 10, then for me the score average for series XI will be the equal of series VI! While it might be a tall order it's exciting to see that Red Dwarf is back in this ball park!

12. Angelic_Storm

Another example of disparity in scoring among fans. lol The only two episodes I have scored the same as you, are Give And Take, and Officer Rimmer. Crucially though, 7 is the lowest score Ive given yet this series. So for me, an 8 or a 9 for Can Of Worms would be enough to push the series as a whole into classic territory for me. :-)

13. Angelic_Storm

Can Of Worms in now live! Im going in, wish me luck! xD

14. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

They haven't put it on Sky yet! Argh!

Not going to watch it until I can watch it in full HD like all the others...

EDIT: It's on Sky now. I am also going in!

15. Ant the Dragon

Damn those cat girls are hot

16. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

And.... my order of this series is:
    1 - Give And Take
    2 - Officer Rimmer
    3 - Can Of Worms
    4 - Twentica
    5 - Krysis
    6 - Samsara

All good, consistent episodes. But top 3 are excellent. Way better than series X

17. MarilynMonroe

MarilynMonroe Skutter

Immediate response: Another great, funny episode. Despite the good track record of this series so far, I was still slightly apprehensive about what we would get because I remembered that I think Andrew Ellard described this episode as “divisive” (unless I got it mixed up with another episode?), but I really enjoyed it. Great performance from Danny.

18. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Will have to watch it again, as I always do, but yeah great episode :-)

19. Ant the Dragon

I'm on tenterhooks waiting for slainmonkey

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I didn't like what they did with the cat this episode, i was kinda worried when i heard the concept of the cat episode and overall it was what i feared, the cat was abit pathetic, i know the cat has always been cool but silly but from the start of this episode where he seems more like Duane Dibley crying about being a virgin it just kinda took some coolness away from The Cat where he has always felt he was gods gift and perhaps thats the issue when it comes to writing a cat episode you have to make use of the cat being dumb to put him in funny situations

as for using the polymorph idea... can't help but feel it was abit wasted, they didn't feel like a threat but more a joke

Was it funny? i think for most of it you have to enjoy the portrayal of cat this episode and i dunno if i did.