RDXI EP 6 - CAN OF WORMS - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 21, 2016.

1. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

Really not sure about the last episode, think ill have to watch it again, but so far it seemed a little odd... will elaborate after my second viewing.

2. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Yeah loved that one. Might be my favorite.

Basically it was Polymorph III - so many little moments of fun, the baby polymorphs trying to look cute, the 9 crew member mexican stand-off, a good end gag.

Couldn't quite work out what the point of removing Lister's emotions was though - I understood it as a plan but then they didn't even utilise it anyway - surely Rimmer and Kryten then heading down there with him completely negated the purpose? Or perhaps I have misunderstood something?

Thoroughly entertained anyway. Looking forward to watching it again.

3. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Hmm... I think its going to take another view or two to really know my feelings about this one. Initially, I think like Krysis, it manages to avoid it's dodgy premise to become something more satisfying. Each time the episode threatened to descend into mediocrity, it was elevated itself back up. I'll go into more detail after a 2nd watch.

One big plot hole however... if Lister had been turned into an "emotionless assassin", why didn't he just kill everyone on sight? He woudnt have waited for that science room scan stuff. lol

4. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

very good, simple and sweet

5. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Skutter

Can't wait to see this one when I get home, pretty sure Sky on Demand had these episodes from about 12 noon on a Friday

6. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Perhaps it's time to argue the case that Red Dwarf should be 42 minutes long.

Today's Fish... likes this.
  7. Angelic_Storm

Just watched it again, this time without any interruptions. "Polymorph" always had an "Alien" influence, and that was truly brought to the fore in this episode. This episode had the potential to be truly awful, but the cringeworthy pitfalls that likely would have befallen it if it had been made in the past few series, were skillfully evaded here. I like that Cat is more like his early self again, with the more primitive Cat-like personality.

This is essentially "Polymorph III", and viewing all the familar aspects that entailed was a joy. Seeing the shapeshifting into various items, and then the killer addition to the plot of turning into cute animals to avoid death was wonderful stuff. The pre ending was also great, with Cat becoming the hero and kicking bottom, and the line he delivers immediately afterwards was awesome. The ending was funny, but also made me feel more empathy for the Cat's plight. Brilliant episode. :-)

8. Angelic_Storm

Agreed. The one downside of this episode was that it felt like it would have benefitted from a more epic approach, But still very well compacted into its 30 minute runtime.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

The whole cat being a virgin and telling the story of how he was impregnated was abit... dumb? surely the cat isn't that stupid though? It felt out of character because of that, oh the cats dumb so he thought he had sex by having eggs put down his throat and walking around incredibly happy about it :/

This is probably the dumbest the cat has ever been in the show and i know the cat has been dumb in previous series but i think its a shame the cat is losing some of his cool in order to make him more sillier

Its the Duane Dibbley effect.

10. Angelic_Storm

Cant get much more dumb than being outwitted by a space weevil ("they do have an IQ of 2 sir!"). I didnt think anything Cat did was out of character. Particularly not the early version of Cat, which the last couple of Series has seen a throwback to. And I thought he was cool, the way he took out the Polymorphs at the end.

11. Underdunn

Do you think he was ever 'cool' though? I've always taken him to be a shallow misguided dork who presents a sort of cartoon version of what he thinks cool is.

12. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

I enjoyed that one immensely. I will admit I was a bit disappointed that they didn't use the personality machine on Rimmer in the beginning, but I can see why they didn't in the end. Still it's something to consider for the future.

I will be watching this one over again very shortly.

13. Angelic_Storm

Precisely. His coolness has always been a cartoonish variant. It is true that he started becoming less cartoony and more humanlike as the original set of Series' wore on, but since Series X, he has returned more to the primitive, much more cat-like nature of his early self. Though I thought it was interesting how in "The Beginning" he gave intelligent councel to Rimmer, whilst at the same time, playing the "string game".

14. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

Great episode, loved the expressions on cats face when the virgin stuff started,
    This episode was obviously a nod to the alien franchise , no image from your cam, the beep trace, the birth process,

Best part for me was the birthing pool,Cats face was great loved the variety of painful shapes cat had to pass, Rimmer paseing up and down like a proud father
    The ending was the most satisfying of the series so far,
    "Pipe me" the new reddwarf T shirt is a must.
    Great Job all series 11 definatly well done now the long wait for series 12

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

The cat has always been cool, Danny has always felt the cat had to do everything in style from his dress sense to say using the guns in gunmen of the apocalypse or catching guns out of the air in BTE, or skating and jumping from air vents and rolling on the ground to get back up fluently

Even in the novels cat is played on to be cool with back flips and stuff

I know the cats been dumb many times but he felt abit too dumb.

You really have to ignore early episode to believe cat doesn't know what sex is.

16. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I think I'm going to re-watch Polymorph I and Polymorph II before I re-watch Can of Worms.

17. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Not really. He didn't seem to have much clue in Series II:

Cat: Wow! I've never been this close to women before. It makes me want to do something. But I don't know what it is. Whatever it is, I want to do a lot of it.

18. Underdunn

Oh he's agile alright! I'll give him that! He is a cat after-all! Whether you think back-flips are 'cool' or not is another matter altogether! :lol:

I do feel there have been references to the fact Cat doesn't quite understand what sex is before though? No? Off the top of my head I recall a line from series 2 when they first go back time... "I've never been this close to women before! It makes me wanna do something. I don't know what it is, but I want to do a lot of it!"

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

What about episodes like justice?

LISTER: I just think you're a bit cocky for a guy who's never actually
    met a real woman before.
    CAT: I've seen mirrors. I have eyes. Face it, buddy -- I have a body
    that makes men wet. Have you ever heard of an animal called the
    Iranian jerd? it can do 150 pelvic thrusts a second.
    LISTER: So?
    CAT: That's me in slo-mo. Put a Black and Decker drill on the end, I can
    make it through walls.

There is no excuse for the cat to be that stupid

20. Angelic_Storm

Exactly. He pretends to have a clue, when really he has none. The "knowing about sex" with Cat is all bravado, it's just a front.