RDXI EP 6 - CAN OF WORMS - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Giving it the big-un, exaggerated hyperbole, presenting a cartoon version of what he thinks makes him a stud. Bravado. That's his entire personality.

Like Lister he's (probably) the last of his species. Unlike Lister he never had a life before Red Dwarf.

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Ok so we are saying the cat is all talk now? so anything he has said in the past to finger wettings machine or "my nostril-hairs are vibrating faster than the springs on a spaniard's honeymoon bed!" its pretty all him putting up a front because he is secretly a duane dibbley type loser who in this episode we find out oh he had no idea that sex was something that involved anything to do with his lowe region and was actually something being forced down his throat?

Oh well ok glad we learned something about the cat.

Not gonna be one of my favourite episodes this one.

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

It's implied in BitR 1 that Cat has had sex with a cat-woman before:

HOLLISTER: Has he got the measles?
    DOCTOR: Those are his nipples, Frank.
    HOLLISTER: Six nipples? I wonder what the female of the species is like?
    CAT: Pretty easy to please in bed! Especially if you play the piano.

Cat also makes what seems like a creepy oral sex reference in Better than Life:

CAT: I'm dating Marilyn Monroe and another girl who's a mermaid. She's half woman, half fish. It's Miranda, my girlfriend. Yoo-hoo!
    HOLLY: Somehow I imagined she'd be a woman on top and fish on the bottom.
    CAT: No, that's the stupid way round (creepy licking gesture).

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Well clearly he was all talk and pretended he had some basic idea of what sex involved every time.

5. Underdunn

YES! :lol:

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Well you just dissected the cat to be quite a pathetic character over all

7. Underdunn

Absolutely! He's a hugely flawed individual! They all are!

8. Underdunn

That's what I assumed! I'm with Cat. It DOES still count. :lol:

9. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

It would hardly be the first time that Dwarf has had inconsistencies in terms of overall plot. If I allowed myself to overthink that stuff, it would be impossible to enjoy the show. Its been implied in previous episodes both that Cat is a virgin, and that he is not. Easiest way out of that plothole, is to assume it was all bravado when he made statements contradicting the fact he he is a virgin. I actually knew someone personally who lied to people about not being a virgin, when in fact he was one. That someone as vain and shallow as Cat would have major hangups about that is hardly a wild stretch of the imagination.

Today's Fish... likes this.
  10. Underdunn

In the early series it was implied that popping his cherry was his 'character goal' wasn't it? Lister's was Earth/Kochanski, Rimmer's was becoming an officer and Cat's was to have sex with something. Didn't Holly say as such in Queeg? "I hope you achieve your life long dream... and get your end away."

I suppose after that the only point in portrayed Red Dwarf history where he might have achieved it off-camera would have been during Series 8 after the crew had been resurrected? Anything prior to that could only have been bravado because... well... to put it bluntly because there was nobody for him to shag! Unless we count Wax-droids and computer simulations!

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Again its because they realy dumbed him down, you do have to ignore any comments in previous series to believe he has no understandinf of how sex works to really get behind the idea the cat would be that stupid, even more so when after he is so happy with himself

Cat has always been dumb but this is a new level of dumb

12. Angelic_Storm

He does have some understanding of how it works, but how much understanding? I would concede that it seems weird that he would not be freaked out by the "pipe coming from her back" or the eggs being put down his throat. With that said, Dwarf has had moments in the past where you have to suspend your disbelief even more, in order to enjoy it. I would say though, it would have worked better had Cat been traumatised by being attacked by the Polymorph, when he all he was expecting, was to get a little loving.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

As usual, a proper review is coming later, but on first impressions I thought that was great. The first half was mostly laughter-free, but the episode really came to life in the second half.

14. Angelic_Storm

Once they get Cat to the medical bay, it really cranks up a notch or two. All in all, I really loved the way Doug worked his obvious love of "Alien" into the story. When Cat was convulsing on the bed, I was half expecting something to burst through his chest. lol

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Have you really been hearing "sweat" for all these years? :lol:

16. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Wherever Cat has implied he's had sex, I'm happy to chalk it up to posturing. That's not necessarily a continuity error. But it would bother me if, upon review, he postured to the other Dwarfers who would know he was posturing, and he would know they knew, so why did he bother and why didn't they call him out.

I can't help but wonder how cat-like he is in the trouser department, given male cats have barbs on their penis to trigger ovulation.

17. bedfordfalls

First impressions:

I thought it was better than Krysis and Samsara but not hitting the standards of a Twentica or Give and Take, due to a coupleof issues.

Slow Start: I didn't really take to the first ten minutes. The jokes seemed overly familiar and ponderous. Doug needs to think more about "show, don't tell" when it comes to Rimmer. The first time Kryten listed his faults it was funny, but I can think of about five other times now, including a couple this series.
    Yes, we get it Doug, Rimmer is a coward.

Unecessary plot device of the week: What was the point of the emotion tuck machine? It played no part in the plot or it's resolution.
    Especially when you have written an episode about CREATURES THAT SUCK OUT EMOTIONS then don't have them do it!
    Emotionless Lister was a waste of time. It actually would have been funnier with Rimmer in this role. This has been a trend with XI and it isn't a good one. Tighter script editing seemingly could have improved a lot of these episodes...although, as with series XI we should probably wait to see what comes out in the laundry about production.

Bad accent/acting: Given the high standard of guest stars this series, I found the actress portraying the female cat to be poor. I was glad her appearances were limited.

Better second half: The show started to pick up for me from the scene where Cat was made aware of the dilemma. Danny was good in these scenes and I didn't mind the re-use of the polymorph concept (although even the audience groaned which isn't a good sign). As with many other episodes the split screen was great.

I have to admit Doug pulled one over on me with that ending. For a second I could feel the message-board rage at the idea that Cat had two ladies concealed on Z deck all this time...until it was revealed to be a dream...which leads me to ask:

Was it all a dream?

I get the feeling that it could have been one long dream for the cat.It's a shame that Lister's little talk at the end was just a dream too. That's a shame as I thought it was so great to see that warm, caring Lister again. The one I feel has all but disappeared at times. I do wonder though, given Doug's tongue in cheek comments about sci-fi fans in the past whether the whole tone of the episode wasn't him giving a fatherly chat to a certain section of fandom. ;-)

Overall I'm just glad when I get a new episode that doesn't do anything offensive or canon shaking these days. This felt very by the numbers Dwarf, but was lacking the superb guest turns of Twentica and the tight, clever writing of the series highlight: Give & Take.

6/10

This brings my revised series totals to:

Twentica: 8
    Samsara: 5
    Give & Take: 9
    Officer Rimmer: 7
    Krysis: 5
    Can of Worms: 7

I still think that the excellent Give and Take justifies this series' existence alone. I like it better than X because it hasn't done anything to outright offend and while there have been a couple of clunkers, but it's to be expected with what was basically a 12 episode shoot. We've also had some fresh fresh ideas to go with the recycling of old ones. Perhaps most importantly, for the most part XI has felt like Red Dwarf again.

I'm only disappointed that Lister has had such a quiet season. It's odd that we haven't really had a single 'Lister episode' in the run.

18. bedfordfalls

Rob Grant's solo novel is quite specific on this.

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i copied and pasted from www.planetsmeg.com ;p

you think i was gonna type all that out? pfft

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What a wonderful season. Will Red Dwarf 11 go down in my estimation over the years, or like seasons 5, 6 and 7 will it be something I continue to love every time I rewatch it? It's difficult to say right here and now, but I suspect I'll continue to love it. There's just something that feels so fundamentally right about this season. All those Dwarfy elements that made me fall in love with the show in 1990 have been so much in evidence here. I feel so optimistic about future seasons.

Various thoughts:
    • So many ideas were packed into this episode that not for the first time this season I felt Doug was struggling to fit it all into half an hour. I just wish these episodes could have been longer to give all these concepts the time they deserve.
    • Cat's had a lot to do this season rather than being the underused side character of old, and it's worked really well. I hope this continues into future seasons.
    • That birthing scene was a great piece of Dwarfian absurdity. Just wonderful stuff.
    • I liked the Gunmen-esque Mexican music invading the soundtrack during the Mexican standoff. And was Danny doing his Riveria Kid accent before shooting the polymorphs?
    • A sign of the improved writing this season is that I'm finding punchlines are taking me by surprise with much more frequency than previously in the post-season 6 era.
    Funniest line:

Kryten: "Most things look adorable when they're first born. Even velociraptors. Even the Rolling Stones."

Overall: An imaginative plot, funny lines, and some wonderfully absurd moments all thrown together into a bizarre, satisfying mixture in a way that only Red Dwarf can.

Rating: 8/10