RDXI EP 6 - CAN OF WORMS - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I loved this episode - properly laughed out loud at several points.

Loved the references to Aliens and The Thing, as well as to Series V.

2. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I never once heard the term Hoes mentioned. Perhaps you best watch it again and listen more carefully. I think you may have heard it wrong. Change the bulb or paint on new ears. ;-)

3. jimmydischarge

jimmydischarge Third Technician

Ha, exactly!

I was a bit disappointed that the cat lady wasn't really a cat. I've always wondered why there hasn't been any appearances of Felis-Sapiens since season I. You'd think the Cat himself would've sensed something wasn't right about her or Kryten's psi-scan would have told him as much before they brought her back to the ship. I still like how the episode played out though.

4. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

Okay but what was with Starbug 19? Was it perhaps another way of wishing VIII had never happened, since (I'm pretty sure) the fleet of Starbugs flying away from the RD was smaller than nineteen.

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Never mind that, you've just quite rightly raised the question of why there are ANY starbugs left for the crew to use after the exodus.
    How they got even one back, let alone 19 of them is a conundrum I havent seen anyone raise yet. Perhaps a bigger one than the ship eating virus.

6. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Cat said "homes" not "hoes".....that's where the mixup happened!

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Did anyone else feel that the Mercenoid belief tenet was a clever parody of modern day religious fanatacism?
    On the one hand, I can see why it was skirted over but, on the other hand, I feel it could have made for a far more interesting philosophical Kryten-centric episode than we got with Krysis.
    Imagine Kryten as a hostage/negotiator. beginning to question the logic of silicon heaven in a way that he only touched on in Krysis.

8. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

Was it just me, or were the escape pod ident from Samsara and the "life-signs" corridor number rom CoW eerily similar?

9. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Still kinda wrapping my head around Can of Worms. I'm very 50-50 over the episode in that there were parts of it which I thought were really cool and other things I thought were just kinda stupid. I have to say atmospherically-speaking, things are top-notch. RDXI truly has been a visually stunning series IMO... I certainly loved the vibe of the episode.

I suppose my gripe is I didn't find the episode as funny as I thought I would. I mean, a Cat-centric episode which in effect was Polymorph Part 3? This should have been gold for me, but it was hit and miss. To be fair, I think I went into this episode with high expectations (I heard a few good things about it), but I certainly don't think it matches up to the quality of Give and Take or Officer Rimmer.

In terms of giving the episode a ranking, I have to give it a 7 out of 10, based on the first viewing experience. I say have to because I gave Samsara a 7 and, whilst I may sound down on this episode, I did prefer it to Samsara (and Twentica as well). For what it's worth though, I'm sure my opinion on a lot of the episodes will change when I rewatch them again (on DVD, without commercial breaks but added familarity of the stories and what-not). I'm looking forward to it, XI's been fun...

Roll on Series XII!

10. squeal mold

squeal mold Flight Co-Ordinator

not as bad as last weeks, not great by any stretch, but a few memorable scenes, such as the 3 sets of crew members, and the changing of the morphs into different objects

11. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Death Magnetic is the perfect comparison to make with Red Dwarf XI. It's OK, has its moments, but you do get the feeling that the best years will forever be behind them.

12. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

EASILY ONE OF THE BEST EPISODES EVER :-)

Just as "Gunmen of the apocalypse" was awarded an Emmy, so to I feel should this terrific episode be given the same gracious honour.

For this series I made it a rule to completely stay away from anything even close to spoiling the episodes (deliberately stayed away from reading the synopses as I wanted to be surprised) and MY GOODNESS, this episode was one of THE most strongest episodes of Red Dwarf theres ever been and its definitely in my top five, the writing from Doug, the acting from our boys, the lovely ladies who really brought to life what we always imagined Cats ideal dream would be, and of course the Camerawork - phenomenal.

I personally feel that this was, without doubt Dannys greatest half hour, he shined and shifted focus from Lister, Rimmer and Kryten in such a way that it was pleasant to watch - the singing, the dance moves, it was definitely Danny's episode :-)

SO many throwbacks to previous series, the first scene where Rimmer and Kryten are looking at the monitor is without doubt a massive nod to Psirens, Craigs expression whilst in the chair so reminiscent of Bodyswap, and I'm glad they brought back the Polymorph IN A UNIQUE WAY (and not one that would have audiences moaning) the delivery of so many lines in this ep was just terrific, when Kryten goes over to the monitor and exclaims "OH MY GOD!" just had me laughing out loud.

THe female Cat (first one) was terrific casting and she worked so well, (where the Polymorph was captured looked a bit like the teleporter from Rimmerworld) "That's mine" was a very comforting throwback, then when Cat is telling the rest of what happened the deep belly laugh also had me in hysterics.

As for Cat giving birth (the only way imaginable) it made me cringe when I saw the pineapple (for one or two reasons)

Don't know who was worse with gushing, Lister or I with all those adorable, cutiepies, the cute puddytat, the ickle Dalmatian pups, the sweet little hedgehog, couldn't stop going "Awwwwwww"

The use of splitscreen down in the bay was good and damn, was that camerawork very impressive indeed, this is the closest its ever gone from being a tv show to looking like it was a fully fledged motion picture.

I clapped when Cat delivers that line "A Mama always knows her kids." that's one standout line.

The end scene? Its exactly how I imagined Cats sleeping quarters to look like and dayum, what a wonderful dream he was having - perfect episode in every single way :-)

13. Slainmonkey

I actually liked series XI far more then I expected, while it's true the first 6 series are still the best in the shows run...it's actually starting to approach that qaulity. With less recycling of old concepts and a bit more polish in the scripts (particularly those rushed endings), this series could have been on par with Series VI. However if there is something this series nailed that Series X failed was that it got the feeling right.....it feels like "real" Red Dwarf!

14. percyP

percyP Third Technician

Hmm....like several others I just don't know what to make of that. Initial reaction was disappointment at yet another polymorph episode, but maybe another few viewings will help.

15. Slainmonkey

Yeah, it took me a second watch to know if I actually liked this one, turns out I actually like it quite a bit. I feel it's actually a much better Polymorph episode then Emohawk, I feel that episode maybe coloured my bias against there being another Polymorph episode. Part of me still feels like maybe a 3rd Polymorph episode was unnecessary, but I think it's a pretty good episode and it justifies it's own existence!

16. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

The polymorph returning again was fine. They had enough new jokes in there to make it interesting and fresh. At no point did the polymorph idea feel washed out or done. There's no harm in bringing things back if there's still juice in the tank. I thought the visual gag of Rimmer, Lister and Kryten pointing their guns at each other was a classic Red Dwarf moment. It was basically a massive spoof of 'The Thing' but transformed just enough to fit Red Dwarf.

It also gave the impression that monsters like Polymorph's are a fairly common thing, or they've seen enough of them over the years that they're almost used to them. They're still afraid of them but they're experienced in dealing with them, like what crocodiles or venomous spiders must be like to people who live in the Australian outback after a while.

17. Slainmonkey

well if we are to go by what was said in BTE, this was actually the 4th time the Dwarfers have encountered Polymorphs, so it definitely seems like they would be less on an unknown threat to them.

Also on an unrelated note, the airlock in this episode was a recycled piece of set from series X. It was feature in the episode Entangled the ERRA space station, most notable to Rimmer needing to swap to soft light projection mode to go through it!

18. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Just a little update on this: on subsequent viewings I've really warmed to Ankita and actually think she's really rather cute. In a way I'm almost disappointed that she wasn't a real cat lady. But yeah, I really like her performance. :-)

19. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

A bit late but...

... that was very good. A solid 8 out of 10 from me!

There were some iffy bits, such as Cat finding the Lady Cat (I've never been a particular fan of Cat's "owww"-ing, but that's just me) but, strangely enough, in an episode where Cat is supposed to be the main character, he still doesn't steal the show from the other characters. Though it could be argued that, out of the main four, Cat is the least interesting character. The episode does, to be fair, deal Cat a bit of a bad hand by even getting him out of the way for a lot of the final confrontation.

The Lady Cat is done away with in two scenes (not even that really, I think) and we're left with quite an amusing plot. Don't get me wrong, the stuff beforehand was amusing (in particular Rimmer's self-help tape on the dictaphone), but what comes afterward was damn hilarious. The Cat actually thinking that sex happened in that manner, the birth of the Polymorphs (and them turning into cute animals to avoid being killed), the showdown in the cargo decks... so much to like, and hardly anything to dislike. Even the ending, with the Cat quickly dispatching the Polymorphs, didn't feel rushed (and, in fact, reminded me a lot of the ending to DNA, with the vindaloo monster being killed by another "let's kill it quick" effort).

20. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I'm even later, but heigh-ho.

I planned to wait until broadcast to watch this episode (to make the series last longer) but I had a Duane Dibbley-related nightmare about it mid-week, so caved in and watched on Wednesday. I'd already guessed it involved some kind of Polymorph so I think I was subconsciously worried about it turning into Emohawk part 2, an episode on which I've never been overly keen.

Fortunately, Can of Worms was nothing like that, and despite the returning Polymorph element, the episode felt fresh and full of ideas. I know that others have criticised this aspect, but I like to think of this episode's structure as being like a literal can of worms - from the off there are so many twists and turns, with ideas wriggling all over the place. Ok, maybe that doesn't quite work then! But this episode really doesn't sit still for a minute and I found it an awfully fun ride - probably the funniest of the series for me alongside Officer Rimmer (although Give & Take and Krysis are my overall favourites).

Anyway, special mention has to go to the birthing pool scene which was pretty damn hilarious, particularly Lister using the little net to catch the morphlings. Anyone who's ever been to an antenatal class will know what those nets are really for... (it certainly put me off the idea of having a water birth!)