RDXI EP 6 - CAN OF WORMS - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 21, 2016.

1. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Despite the fact that Can of Worms is slightly naff in terms of plotting overall there is not really a weak episode in sight in series 11 and all the other five range from very strong to classic. Though series 10 was very good and showed the way, 11 is much more genuinely Dwarfy and vintage and I am surprised that some Dwarfers and SFX magazine thought the former was better tbh!

While I still think it is not totally comparable to the late 1988 to 1993 peak years (then again what is?) - apart from definitely Give and Take - it is of a real quality and in the best form it has been in since 1993 ie decades. If series 12 can repeat the trick I will be a very happy Dwarfer. Can't be too long to go now hopefully!

Freeborn likes this.
  2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Honestly i dont think i want anymore Cat episodes because Doug plays on The Cat being an idiot in order for it to work and i think it got abit pathetic in Can of Worm.

Part of me wonders whether that Cat episode wrote for Series 7 would have been better.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

For me the only time things went a little too far for my liking was the afore mentioned sex stuff in this episode. Things have got a bit wacky in the past with Cat, but him genuinely believing and being taken in by the whole pipe-down-the-throat thing is pretty hard to swallow (Badum-Tshh!). Had it happened during a much earlier series I would probably be okay with it, but at this point I can't seem to justify it in my head, what with him having hung out with the other Dwarfers for so long. He and Lister in particular must surely have discussed all the ins and outs of sex on numerous occasions by now.

That said, I still think Cat is a great character, and can't personally think of any other major examples of him coming across as being stupider now than he was in the past.

4. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I just rewatched the series and really agree with this assessment. I understand why Can of Worms has been criticised by some, but it made me laugh so much - and surely that's the most important thing when it comes to Red Dwarf? I don't think there is a weak episode either, although my least favourite is still Samsara.

The only problem is that I'm now more impatient than ever for series XII! I wonder if we'll start getting some little teasers soon, like we did round about this time last year? Could be time for another 'countdown' thread.

5. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Can of Worms - despite its slightly naff plot issue - is simply a pretty decent RD episode. Like you say the humour in RD is all important and this episode is full of it and it covers up the plot problem very well IMHO. I particularly love the Rolling Stones gag too - classic Dwarf IMHO. But for some reason one of my favourites is Rimmer saying to the Cat: "You're a moron!" and then Lister repeating the same thing because of the way it takes you by surprise obviously. It's so simple but great comedy writing from Doug IMHO. I really do think that series 11 had quite a good helping of the humour of RD in its prime and there was quite a good number of especially memorable moments. Yes, and no weak episodes!

After the success of series 11 I am getting ever more excited in anticipation for series 12. I just remember all last autumn my excitement for each Thursday, the days I said "Happy Red Dwarf Day" and I can't wait to go through that all again. Like I said in another thread it was just such a genius decision by Dave etc. to commission 2 new series in 2015, as this time we won't be getting 6 episodes last year and then nothing for several years. In fact a series a year is similarly like the late 88 to 1993 RD peak years.

I also did think the other day that maybe someone should start a countdown to series 12 thread soon. The broadcast is obviously not going to be during the summer months as there wouldn't be the same number of viewers (plus RD is better broadcast in the dark) so could it be September time again like series 2/11, or maybe October/November like a lot of the other classic series? We will see, but obviously can't be a massive time away now! It's getting closer.

PeeJayHarvey likes this.