RDXII EPISODE 1 - CURED - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

This is the official thread for discussion of the content of the episode CURED. Once the episode has appeared on UKTV Play (and NOT before), this thread may be used to discuss any and all elements of the episode. Anyone who has not seen the episode who enters this thread does so at their own risk!

Until the episode airs on Dave, you may continue to discuss it in other threads (as well as here), but only in relation to officially-released information. Once it has aired on Dave, it can be discussed in any thread in the "Red Dwarf XI/XI" conference, but you may not put plot details in thread titles.

For more information on the spoiler policy, please read this thread.

2. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

It was okay, but I'm hoping this is like XI where they started with one of their weakest episodes.

3. 2X4B-523P

2X4B-523P Third Technician

Well that was rather marvellous. was interesting to note that in Twenica Kryten's musical demonstration was cut, but this season premiere a mild musical number was left in. It was clearly a Lister and Cat episode, their moments with the guest cast were superb and yes, there was a moment you felt sorry for Hitler. The true evil reveal I expected to be Richard Murdoch, but Sky does show this show. The Poker face pay off was lovely. I read that Rimmer's ramp rant has been described as too near the mark, but remember we're not meant to really like or agree with Rimmer. A stronger start then last season and some nice callbacks to Out of time, the boys from dwarf clearly never to become their tainted future selves as they squirm at the collection of dinner guests from hell. Who on the whole were all rather charming as long as you don't mention their work.

ClareGC likes this.
  4. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Best episode of XII by far ;-)

Jokes aside, I felt like that was a solid episode and perhaps a stronger episode than the XI opener.

Most of us felt that the episode endings throughout most of XI were a bit rushed or sudden. I think this episode was better in that regard. I felt the ending was coming (and predicted it to a certain extent, maybe too predictable?) but it was a satisfying pay off with a reference back to the opening scene.

The guest cast were marvellous as were the main cast.

I'll need to watch it again, but there's not a lot I can fault with the episode at this stage.

ClareGC and 2X4B-523P like this.
  5. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

For me, this was Trojan Part 2. I mean that in a good way, because I liked Trojan (best of series 10 for me), but also Cured just felt like it belonged back in series 10, rather than the stronger series 11.

There are some good gags, to be sure. The visual of Kryten's head atop a mop, complaining that he cannot clean the floor. Lister and Hitler's guitar duel (which at times was cringe-worthy but had some sweet notes with the ha-ha-ha-ha-ha). That near-as-dammit fourth wall break near the end ("why do you think Hitler looks nothing like him?") - that was amazing. I first thought they'd gone for a slightly younger Hitler, and couldn't get anyone who looked near enough with Red Dwarf's resources, but to actually make that a part of the plot - albeit a brief, throwaway part - was genius. Bravo for that. Oh, and Cat "turning out to be a psychopath", killing Telford and then complaining he was hungry after having changed sides several times - he somehow managed to carry the final scene.

But... I would have liked to see more time given to discussions about evil. Both Cat and Rimmer were "acting evil" with Lister and Kryten being good. It would have been good to go into this further and explore each character further. The crew's fears felt a bit weak - apart from Kryten's. But then I guess Telford used what he could at the time. And the reveal that it was Telford all along was a tad too obvious.

And the "turn left" bit went on too long, and it finishes a tad too quickly. Some good pop culture references though ("is it 'cos I am Hitler?" and Rupert Murdoch spring to mind).

Overall, I was disappointed. This is still a good episode, don't get me wrong, but this could have been so much more. Maybe it was - I do recall reading that about 12 minutes was cut. But in this state, Cured is the worst episode from series 11/12 so far for me. I do, however, look forward to the deleted scenes on the blu-ray - I feel like there should be some missing stuff which would alleviate my main bug with this episode - not exploring the characters and their own takes on "evil".

Oh, and the "why do you think Hitler looks nothing like him?" bit is still genius.

ClareGC likes this.
  6. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

Good episode, if you had just turned over and seen Lister singing with Hitler that's really weird but as the story flowed it fits in ok, a solid episode with a nice ending, pokie face, Lady Gaga would be proud.

7. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

A few more quick points -

Loved Starbug starting up - very film-like.

Thought they were going to reference Lemons with the whole "there are other A Hitlers out there" bit

The United America stuff was interesting - would have liked to see more. That being said, maybe we do later on in the series (after all, M-Corp is coming back into it).

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Some stuff i enjoyed in it and some stuff that hurt the episode for me

I think Doug could fix alot of issues with less prolonged gags.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Bit of a weird episode, wasn't it? A few funny moments here and there and an interesting premise, but it was all very mediocre and not an episode I'm likely to want to revisit often.

I'll give a proper review when I've given it a second watch - perhaps tomorrow.

10. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Totally agree with the Meltdown/Legion comparison, exactly what I thought with a sprinkling of Langstrom/Holoship on top.

Good fun episode to start off, lots of good gags (I really enjoyed the guitar duet and Cats dialogue with Messalina ) and some decent dramatic moments. Nice simple plot, the 'reveal' of Telford as the villain was perhaps a little obvious but it made sense and led to a nice little ending.

7.5/10 for me, very enjoyable.

11. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Hmmm.. I don't think it was the best start to series XII. I'm not a fan of Doug making some of the bad guys rather gay, he did that in a similar way with the Twentica villains and it just doesn't work for me, all a bit, I hate to say, pantomime.

I thought the psycho was going to be Murdoch so was pleasantly surprised I was wrong and it was Telford. 50/50 and I chose the wrong one, lol. Some good lines in there but overall I didn't really rate it higher than a 4 on first viewing.

I hope that the rest of the series is a lot better.

Totally agree with Talkie here, Doug does seem to do a lot of drawn out long gags that add nothing a lot.

Again I agree here.

I'm sorry this has been quite negative, maybe I have just been so excited to watch it that it was always going to be an anti climax situation.

12. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Not getting what you mean by these ‘rather gay’ villains? For one thing I don’t recall seeing anything to suggest that (maybe one interpretation of the Expanoids bickering I guess) and what’s wrong with having a villain be ‘rather gay’ anyway?

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I don't think its gay but more camp villains.

I remember at the start of The Beginning when you first see the simulant general and he seemed so menacing... then he camped it up slightly for the rest of the episode.

I wasn't fond of camp Hitler since i think you could have made him more funnier without making him camp.

Maybe hitler was camp? i dunno, i always assumed he wasn't but at the end they did say hitler was modelled on someone else so that could explain it or just just be making poop up in my head

14. Sammy Psycho

Of course the expanoids in Twentica. I didn't say there was anything wrong with the villains being gay, I said it doesn't work for me. I find it quite pantomime like. In this Cured episode if you are not sure I am refering to the Hitler role.

15. Sammy Psycho

Yes Talkie, Camp is a better word to describe what I was meaning.

I did notice that but you had already covered that in an earlier post.

16. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I think that was a great start to XII. Good jokes all the way through and only a few minor problems. The start was really good, and tied in nicely at the end

GOOD POINTS
    The poker scene at the start
    The fact it was a mainly dialogue based episode with not many special effects
    Kryten's head on a stick!
    All four of the main characters seemed to fit in the roles effortessly.
    Good jokes throughout

BAD POINTS
    Hitler was funny, but sometimes he said a bit too much and it felt like they over-did his role. Would have been better to hear more from the others.
    The song with Hitler was great, but I get the feeling that if I watch that too much it will get a bit tiresome.
    As has been said, I thought Lister couldn't play guitar!

OVERALL
    7.5/10

17. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Ok I guess I just don't see it. He was just 'nice', straight people can be nice. He also wasn't a bad guy of course.

On the topic of old Adolf, I liked his 'to err is to human' line (I know its a famous saying), I thought it was really well delivered.

18. Sammy Psycho

While that line was well delivered it didn't sit very well with me, if there was any one person that doesn't deserve any forgiveness it is Hitler. Well the real Hitler anyway.

19. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Yep, part of why I liked it I think, he’s played so lovely you have to remember he’s one of the worst humans who ever lived.

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

There is nothing wrong with camp characters but it was abit much at times.

Personally i think just have him act like hitler.