RDXII EPISODE 1 - CURED - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 5, 2017.

1. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

Not with adblock. 8-)

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Just rewatching 'Cured'. I don't think this has previously been mentioned in this thread. Has it not been established in Red Dwarf that artificial intelligences are still intelligent, therefore deserve the same ethical considerations that biological intelligences are given? So, once Professor Telford had been eliminated, did the Dwarfers just go, or did they save the 'evils', and it just wasn't a screen-worthy moment. Personally, I'd have liked to have seen Lister and Hitler discussing the ramifications of what Hitler is and how he should proceed with his 'life'.

3. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Just saw this, twas pretty rubbish really. Yet again RD is regurgitating the same stuff, this time a bit of 'Meltdown' methinks (Hitler again? Really??).

Not particularly funny, the cast makeup seems to get worse every series (especially Kryten), and we're still seeing poor CGI. The episode wraps up very quickly too, as if they ran out of time and ideas. Very weak start.

BigOleDummy likes this.
  4. Paul Taylor

I'm baffled at the occasional mention of 'Meltdown' in discussions of this episode. What similarly exists is at an extremely shallow level.

5. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Meh, one of the first things that popped into my head whilst watching. Unavoidable really I think.

6. Paul Taylor

I didn't think of 'Meltdown' once while watching 'Cured'.

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I would have preferred it if the bad guys were real and the end was different. Have the Dwarfers convinced they're still evil and tie them up or otherwise disable them, then Telford makes his move and disables the Dwarfers, and the villains somehow sacrifice themselves to save the Dwarfers, and we get a scene where Telford is trying to start Starbug but it's like a car that won't start and the Dwarfers escape just in the nick of time as the sandstorm destroys the planetoid. I think that'd be better because otherwise what was even the point of the whole thing, why didn't Telford just say he was the only one there and then steal Starbug. If the villains were real then he had no choice because their pods opened when his did.

8. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Definitely in the DNA of it though isn't it? Meeting evil figures from history, thinking they're real, then finding out they're droids? ...and two of them are even the same ones from Meltdown!

9. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Just some additional points regarding Cured I thought I would make. I still feel it is more streamlined than Can of Worms (though admittedly that is very attainable) and though the DNA concept is a mislead this time it is not defunct unlike Can of Worm's personality tuck as it actually functions properly as a mislead in order to for a Legion/Landstrom style trap for the Dwarfers.

In regard to the TV ratings well yes I now know after looking at BARB and Doug Naylor's tweet today that the overnight figures are different to the definitive ones. So given that Doug says that series 12 had a great number of total viewers on Dave then that sounds really promising. So hopefully should be a high figure.

The only thing though is if as I have read somewhere that series 12 gets better and better each episode then should they really have put the least great episode first. I personally really enjoyed it and a number of others did too but I notice some fans on here and a few critics have not so I wonder whether they should have put out a super strong episode first to keep the viewers hooked for the rest of the series.

If Cured is the least strong episode then is that the one that was filmed as episode 3 last year that some fans were not too keen on.

If it is not then have they really managed to make the filmed third episode so much superior in post-production that it is now even better than this?

But still I personally feel Cured was a very, very decent start and very series 4-6 so if the next episodes are even better then hooray! Just hope the some fans who weren't keen give show 2 a chance because it sounds like it may well be even better.

10. UltraDevotee

Thanks for letting me know. But I personally will still stick with the TV broadcast as like I say I much prefer it on the big screen in HD and the series will go on a week longer!

11. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Am I the only one who thinks the episode would have been better if the Evils really were their cured selves, but the reason the Doctor was evil and insane was because he spent years working with the deranged, and as a result it warped his mind to become more like theirs?......I mean to me that would have been a far smarter twist!

.....not that I presume to be a better writer then Doug, but it just seemed better in hindsight!

12. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

More wise council from monkey! Arguably the wisest member of the forum!

Abe and Slainmonkey like this.
  13. UltraDevotee

I must admit thinking about it now a few days gone where some of the plot has gone out of my head after only watching once...like you say why did he not just force the Cat at gunpoint to pilot him in Starbug.

And why did he not just confront the Dwarfers when they arrived on the station rather than the manipulation with the droids, also like you say?

It's like because I have watched it a few days ago now and only once, I have forgotten whether there are things in the plot that help it make sense the way it is or are these real plot weaknesses?

If when I re-watch Cured in November when I get the series 12 blu-ray and it still makes sense then I will still think this is a really strong start to series 12 and those were my honest thoughts in my initial review.

But if these are real problems then the episode will go down in my estimation. Have to see when I re-watch in November but I do remember laughing very loudly throughout the episode at least?

Have to see upon re-watch!

14. UltraDevotee

Just one other thing I thought bringing back the "Boys from the Dwarf" hand gesture while not original was really funny. I really liked that.

15. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Errr, because it wouldn’t be funny or be an entertaining story??!

Errr, because it wouldn’t be funny or be an entertaining story??!
    Thanks for your thoughts. I will return to my lair to contemplate more on the matter.

16. UltraDevotee

I know it wouldn't work as an episode otherwise but it's just whether these things in the plot make sense?

Like I said have to see how I feel when re-watching another couple of times.

But I did laugh all the way through and if those things do make sense it is indeed a very strong start and for now certainly, my opinion in my original review when the episode was fresh in my mind stands!

Ant E likes this.
  17. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

It's definitely not all Hitler playing the harder parts. You can hear them swapping lead playing the admittedly simple melody, and then they play a harmony part together. Maybe Lister has gotten better over the years.

Agree that that part is awful though

18. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Eh, it was ok. Watched it a couple of times now. I still utterly hate the abrupt endings these new episodes have. Classic Dwarf would find the time for a epilogue moment or closing comment. Series 3-6 were masterful for this. It's absent here though. It seems to be really off when they end it and they're not back on Starbug or Red Dwarf, I think that's the problem. These new episodes are written with no intention of wrapping things up, which I'm just not a fan of.

Hitler was pretty funny, but it was very Meltdown crossed with Legion but with a pantomime twist. I liked the fact Cat was called out for being a psychopath though, a belief I've held for many years. Thought it fell apart a bit once you find out the 'cured' are droids, seems like a copout. Entertaining enough but still very, very far from classic Red Dwarf.

The problem with these new episodes is they're exclusively for fans that are willing to forgive the flaws. If you're not a fan like us, who watched the glory days in their prime, you're going to think Red Dwarf is utter rubbish.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I feel like some of the comedy in Dave Dwarf is abit more sillier then classic Dwarf and i kinda suspect thats because Doug is filling a void that Classic Dwarf filled so well when it had 2 writers involved but now he has to make up for it by being abit less worried about material the writers might have called "pony" back in the 80s/90s.

You can do silly comedy and people will always find it funny.

20. davidjames

davidjames Skutter

Given this a few more watches since and it's really grown on me. I really like the portrayal of hitler. I doubt you would ever see hitler portrayed like this anywhere else but red dwarf and I think it's very well done. I also like the little gag about Rupert murdoch 'not responding to treatment'. It's a very funny episode. My final rating would probably be about 7/10.

Chris D and Paul Taylor like this.