RDXII EPISODE 1 - CURED - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 5, 2017.

1. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

......oh dear......

I'm sorry but that was the worst episode since Pete, krytie TV etc....

Easily the worst of X , xi and now XII (yeah I know it's only 1 EP)

Lister jamming with Hitler? Wtf? Not since the dancing midgets have I sat watching red dwarf ( a program I have loved and been passionate about since the 80s) and shook my head wondering where it went wrong. Look back to series 1 to 6.... Would that have happened them? No. It was more like a comic relief parody of red dwarf.

Hitler ... Again the weekly guest member is daft and over the top (ala hogie) when did the guest stars stop being cool (Dom Warrington and most of the holoship cast) or menacing (most guest star pre series 7).

Jokes about Leeds united in the 70s, the disabled needing ramps, about hitler being overly camp (perhaps he was I don't know, never met him, but this was obviously played for an attempt at humour) and then the attempt at Lister guitaring...it just went on too long. If Hitler had been amazing at guitar and Lister had been terrible which frustrated Hitler that might have been ok. Or if they were equally tone deaf or stop after the first hahahaha etc...

Really really REALLY want to like it. RD has meant so much to me for so many decades! Perhaps a second watching but Dave app not playing it now :-(

2. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

Best watch it here in ENVY

3. Trauntrian

Trauntrian Skutter

The guitar thing kinda did make sense.
    In the timeline of the show, hasn't it been quite a few years since we last saw Dave attempt to play the guitar?
    In his situation he's going to have nothing to do most of time other than eat, sleep and find new ways to annoy Rimmer. He'd have to fill in the rest of the time doing something to relieve boredom - a lot of that was obviously practising the hell out of the guitar.

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I laughed at the salute joke, and I rarely actually laugh at Red Dwarf jokes.

I was a bit miffed at how readily everyone accepted being woken up from "Cryo-stasis". There were no questions about what year it was or anything. If you'd come out of cryo-stasis after 3,000,000 years, would hosting a dinner party be your first concern?

Didn't like the end scene with Cat. Why would Telford take the risk, why not just shoot them himself. Far too obvious, even by Red Dwarf standards. It was nice that they came back around to the poker face thing, but it was a bit ruined with this superfluous bit where Cat mispronounces the word poker. Would have funnier without it. I still think this ending felt rushed.

Of course the bad guy was going to be Telford. That's the whole point.

I enjoyed the bit where Telford mentioned how Hitler didn't look like Hitler. Nice self-deprecation.

I also enjoyed all the explanations at the start, about how it didn't actually make sense that they could have all these people from different historical periods and they're actually genetic re-creations, but Hitler didn't have descendents, etc. It was like an "Explain That?" post all there being explained.

Guitar bit didn't bother me. Lister's playing didn't seem that amazing, and maybe he's gotten better. I suppose it's strange that he knew the Happy Wanderer.

So did they just leave the droids there to die? Doesn't seem right after all that debate about how unethical it would be to leave them there.

I thought Cat drowning was very poorly done. There was very obviously no water involved, Cat's hair never appeared wet at any point. Actually the whole rescue sequence was way too easy. Where did that knife come from, why did he use old-fashioned rope on a spacestation when the surgery-beds presumably have metal restraints. Why didn't Telford just shoot them all in the first place.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  5. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

That's funny, Stalin didn't bother me, whereas I was annoyed about Vlad the Impaler. It's not like he ran around impaling civilians just because he wanted to impale people, he was resisting the Ottoman Empire. Vlad the Impaler wasn't a serial killer, it was war and the Ottomans were the ones who started it. I mean yes I'm sure he impaled civilians but that's kind of how medieval warfare went. He was in the right in the sense that it was the Ottomans who had decided to invade Europe, and Vlad was telling them to literally stick it up their arse. Mehmed II was the bad guy.

6. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

Didn't he have three bishops' hats nailed to their heads because they didn't remove them when they met him? And many of those he had impaled lived for days (so they say) on spikes. He didn't have to be so brutal just because he was at war. He was reputed to relish causing such violence.

Red Dwarf must be an emotional roller coaster for you.

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Why did Rimmer switch back on when he was in the waste disposal?

8. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

In addition to the answers above I read somewhere that they couldn’t convince any artist to let their song be played by Hitler so Craig Charles suggested that one, I loved it.

R.I.P. 2000 likes this.
  9. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The Fast Show, too.

10. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

The mad fella switched him back on remotely in order to torture him. All the Dwarfers were placed in situations tailored to their individual fears. So Rimmer had to be reactivated to be aware of his predicament.

11. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Telford set it on a timer so he’d wake up, use the lighter he left for him to work out he’d been buried alive, then the highly flammable liquid he put in there would catch fire and burn him alive to.

That’s why Kryten woke up to discover he couldn’t mop, Cat woke up to discover he was drowning and Lister woke to discover he was about to lose his gonads.

He’s a physcho remember, he does physchoy things.

12. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I missed this the first time around, I thought the point was just to disable them while he stole Starbug. But I didn't get the elaborate scenarios.

Where did that knife come from that Lister uses to cut the rope?

13. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

The knife was in his boot, which he kicked off and caught.

14. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

In the Scene at the end when Kryten plays Rimmer's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is a magic xylophone, or something? Ha ha, boy, I really hope Doug got fired for that blunder.

15. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I liked that episode but I didn't love it, I kinda feel like joke qaulity really started to slip in the final act. Also the guy who played Vlad the Impaler wasn't fantastic. That said I feel the episode was mostly pretty funny and I did enjoy it, but it's certainly not a instant classic to start the new series with.

16. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

To whom it may concern: Each Cryo-stasis booth has different warnings specific to its occupant. Lister doesn't read them out or rub the dust off properly, but you can make them out if you pause it.

17. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Melliswhatever was a strange choice for historical villain. We knew the rest of them, but Doug obviously needed a nymphomaniac for the brief sub-plot about Cat trying it on with her. So instead of Caligula we get Caligula's wife and an explanation as to who she is because most people don't know.

18. BozBoo

BozBoo Deck Sergeant

I enjoyed this overall. I felt the beginning was very Season 5. Which is a good thing.

19. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Also in Allo Allo, Edith sings it with the Nazi's and Renee.
    I think I recall Craig chose the song as most people knew it and it was famous during the war (and German) after he and Doug couldn't get clearance for the songs they wanted ...

20. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

What if he can play but not tune, and that was the problem all along?