RDXII EPISODE 1 - CURED - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 5, 2017.

1. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

For me, the way they acknowledged her obscurity made the exposition seem more awkward - at a time when there was already an excess of explanation, IMO. They should have just referred to her as "murderous nymphomaniac Messalina" and left us to look her up on Wikipedia. Then I would have assumed she was a fairly well-known historical figure who happened to be a gap in my general knowledge. Instead, I was left thinking... why choose her, if she isn't famous?

2. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I might be wrong but i'm sure Messalina has been mentioned in an earlier RD episode as well ?

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

So that's twice now that Rimmer being hardlight has actually been a hindrance. I can't be the only person who heard Rimmer trapped in the waste disposal and got flashbacks to Entangled when he switched to softlight to walk through a door

4. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

She's mentioned in Meltdown: "the cream of evil - Hitler, Napoleon, Messalina, Caligula, the Boston Strangler, dozens of them."

5. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Ah, he didn't! Kryten switched him to softlight! Yet more evidence - were any needed - that he can't initiate the change by himself.

6. sundayforsammy

Although he was against smoking later on.
    This.......
    Expelled From School At Age 8 (1897), He Kept Smoking Until At Least 1924

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Doug chose her because he needed a nymphomaniac for the joke where she still rejects Cat even though she's a nymphomaniac, and I guess she's the only historical evil nymphomaniac.

It was basically the Hitler show. Messalina, Stalin and Vlad didn't really do anything. We didn't see Rimmer playing Risk with Stalin.

8. sundayforsammy

Yes, Cheers RIP 2000, I thought I was going to have to re watch every episode again to find that info.

9. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I've seen a fan script record "Mussolini" (which is a plausible mistake if you haven't heard of Messalina), but also numerous references and synopses online - not to mention a second fan script - which have "Messalina" as one of the evil wax droids. And I feel like I can hear the line in my head with "Messalina". So I'd have to rewatch it, but I think it's Messalina.

10. Pinny

Pinny Third Technician

I've always heard it as Messalina.

11. sundayforsammy

In that line I have always though it sounded like a coked up line for Mussolini and thought it was indeed Messalina but never 100% sure . Now about to watch Meltdown to confirm it > :-)

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've just had a check, and it's definitely Messalina in Meltdown. It doesn't sound anything like Mussolini.

13. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

It certainly wasn't bishop's; I was conflating two half remembered stories. But a quick googling I did after posting my previous post turned up different versions of the story containing different victims. I'd be interested to know your source to help me cut through some of the folklore when I get time.

14. sundayforsammy

Ok, and as I originally though Messalina is the one mentioned in Meltdown but so is Mussolini when Winnie the pooh is shot. But definitely Messalina where I had thought in the script.

15. sundayforsammy

Yes, Mussolini is mentioned when Cat and Lister are looking through the Cell window watching Winnie the Pooh and James Last getting shot.
    Messalina is mentioned when Rimmer is talking with the good wax droids
    "the cream of evil - Hitler, Napoleon, Messalina, Caligula, the Boston Strangler, dozens of them."
    Exactly where R.I.P 2000 said earlier.

Actually if you put the dvd on and select from the menu from that episode "winnie the pooh" and "the good guys" it takes you straight to each part.

16. sundayforsammy

Sorry a little OT but in that same Meltdown part I always laugh at Abe lincoln saying Rasputin as it sounds to me like he calls him Rice Pudding.

17. sundayforsammy

18. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

It was mentioned earlier, but there are indeed notes on the cryo stasis doors for each patient.

Vlad the Implaer
    Do not leave unattended sharps near patient.

Joseph Stalkin
    Unattended belongings will be forcibly (?) redistributed by patient.

Messalina
    Unflattering clothing must be worn at all times.

(Hitler's is very difficult to read).

Adolph Hitler
    ...therapy(?) treatment prescribed. Do not provide(?) criticism of work.

Prof. Shaul Telford
    Facility overseer

I wonder what Rupert Murdoch's said.

19. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

This episode really kinda falls apart rather badly after the crew get drug/hacked, so much so that I really can't give this episode any higher then a 6 out of 10. It's disappointing too because particularly at the start of really was one of the most Dwarfy feeling episodes in a long time, I just wish it managed to hold itself together.

20. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

So just to clarify, we now have three types of suspended animation: stasis, cryo-stasis, and deep-sleep.