RDXII EPISODE 1 - CURED - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I don't think deep sleep is really separate. Those in cryo are literally frozen, and in that state they're unconscious.

Them there's the kind of deep sleep that occurs a couple of times in Starbug in series 6 and 7 which I assumed to essentially being a less powerful variant of the stasis used on Red Dwarf. (I.e. Time is slowed down so little aging occurs,.but hair and fingernails continue to grow. At least that's how it's explained in the novel Last Human.

The process isn't explained fully in the series itself but I figured that as the author of the book is also the co-writer/co-creator of the series one could extrapolate.)
    - - - - -
    I enjoyed the episode Cured a lot. I found the duet with Lister and Hitler rather cringe-worthy but it was kind of supposed to be.

I saw a couple of the twists coming but it was an enjoyable story nonetheless. A good start to series XII!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Abe likes this.
  2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Those opening shots of Kryten are awkward, where it keeps cutting to Kryten stirring something but saying nothing.

3. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I assumed Kryten was mixing a cake to bake, doing his chores.

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Yeah he is, but there's this bit where the camera cuts to him like he's going to say something, but he doesn't. It's just a cut to Kryten mixing. Would have been better to leave Kryten out of the scene altogether and then have him enter to tell them about the SSL.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Was probably for more reaction shots.

Ant E likes this.
  6. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Okay, was a twelve-year-old running the camera in the staple gun scene?

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I felt sorry for the bloke who played Stalin. He got about three lines. And none of them had anything to do with being Stalin.

Abe likes this.
  8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I'm confused. Telford must have been in cryo-stasis since he's a human. So when he says Starbug's approach opened his pod, that must be true. But were the droids actually in cryo-stasis? Because being droids they don't need to be, and if they weren't in stasis then that would explain why they're acting like the whole thing is no big deal. They act like they have dinner parties every night, like it's novel they've got guests but it's not novel they've woken up 3000000 years in the future.

Also, what was the point in him re-programming droids to think they're good. This must have been something he did before going into stasis, I mean he didn't hastily think this whole thing up in the two minutes between waking up and meeting the Dwarfers. Even if he did, where did the costumes come from?

9. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Or he has done it to every single crew that has gone past for his own enjoyment and killed/tortured them all.... ?

Pembers likes this.
  10. Ant E

Wouldn't surprise me given your negativity over anything and everything.

11. Ant E

:roll:

:roll:

IT's only when Red Dwarf comes back I remember how picky red dwarf fans are (an original observation I made back in 2009 only to be shouted down by the vile Tex Rimmer and Lynsey Calver)

12. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

It's explicable, but I would have liked to have it explicked. IMO, he got the whole act ready before he went into cryo ~3 million years ago, so he could wake up and fool anyone who came to investigate. There was no need to put the reprogrammed droids in any kind of deep sleep; he merely turned them off, and relabelled the empty cryo units to "dress the stage". When he was finally roused by the approaching vessel, he simply turned the droids back on and programmed them to play along.

As for the historical outfits, those could be explained by him finding some costumes left over from a fancy dress party. In that case, he came up with a story to suit props that happened to be there (a sort of Dogme approach to psychopathic histrionics!). But it would have been nice to have a line or two covering that.

EDIT: To be clear, I think the whole point of the act was to wait for someone to show up, so he could pose as the guy in charge (rather than the sole patient) before disposing of the guests and escaping in their vessel.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Abe and RainbowGazelle like this.
  13. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

12.1 - Cured

Acrostic:

Crewmates unearth reformed ex-dictators.

Limerick:

Hitler got better - it's true!
    He made you some canapés too!
    But either the führer
    Or sinister curer
    Is planning to butcher the crew...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  14. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Rather than just moaning, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. Here are the changes I would have made to the script of Cured:

Amendment #1 - squeezing another laugh into the opening poker scene:

Rimmer: I'm only playing for matchsticks. Don't think you're getting your hands on my valuables!

Lister: Valuables? We're three million years into deep space! What valuables?

Rimmer: Well, I've got... my complete collection of Morris Dancer Monthly magazines, that's pretty valuable?

Lister: Morris Dancer Monthly?! I'd rather have the matches! At least I could use them!

Shuffles the cards, and mutters to himself:

Lister: I could set fire to your magazines...

Amendment #2 - explaining the weird song choice:

Rimmer: Don't jam with Hitler. Jamming with Hitler is never the answer. What on Earth were you playing?

Lister: Oh, that was his idea. Says it reminds him of the Fatherland.

Rimmer: The Father-land?! Listen to yourself, Lister! Can't you see what he's doing?! Next he'll have you in lederhosen, etc..

Amendment #3 - getting rid of the clunky exposition about mitochondrial DNA:

Kryten: United America wanted to prove that all past conflict could've been avoided, if the warmongers had been cured. The patients were assembled using a prototype time drive. Eight guinea pigs were identified. The five we have here, plus Genghis Khan, Al Capone and Caligula. But the time drive malfunctioned when they went for Genghis, marooning most of them in the 13th Century. One scientist was left to continue the experiment...

Amendment #4 - explaining the costumes/historical angle:

Telford: Did you not wonder why Hitler didn't look very much like Hitler? Before I put myself in cryo, I laid the groundwork for this little charade. I killed the scientists when they were drunk at a fancy dress party. I put their costumes on the droids, reprogrammed them to play along, and put them on standby till they were needed. I wiped the station log, and replaced it with a fiction about time travel. Then I merely had to relabel the empty cryo units with the names of my historical villains. The intention was to fool anyone who came here, so I could pose as the station supervisor and steal their vessel.

Kryten: So why didn't you escape when you had chance?

Telford: I tried, but I couldn't get Starbug to start, etc..

15. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

When Kryten is reading the code for the waste disposal cover, he sees (and says) "22, 89, 62". If we accept that the first button he presses twice is "2", then "2" is the middle button on the bottom row (which is presumably 1 - 2 - 3). But instead of finishing on the same button for the "62", he ends with the middle button on the second row.

If the panel were a touch screen, we could imagine the numbers reordering randomly after each keypress, to prevent an observer knowing what the code is. But this doesn't work because a) they're metal buttons and b) the code is printed on the cover, so such a precaution would be pointless.

Explain that!

16. sundayforsammy

Wow ! come on RIP2000 that's getting a bit nit picky isn't it ? If I had to wear Roberts rubber Kryten gloves I doubt I would be able to even press a large button on a coffee machine with any accuracy. Lol

Ant E likes this.
  17. sundayforsammy

Yeah, as a musician and mainly a guitarist myself it really did stick out like a sore thumb, but I did resign myself to thinking well if I was stuck in deep space with nothing to do for many years I would likely play a LOT of guitar and over the years and there would be much improvement playing technique would be gained but as you said in an earlier post, it would be a poor show if Lister goes back to being a crap player in future eps. and him being crap IS the long running joke. So I can't help but feel something will be lost now.

18. Ant E

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Although JVC video recorder wins the pickiest fan award tonight

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Abe likes this.
  19. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

To be fair......Lister wasn't playing all that well, I mean it was hardly Psirens levels of bad, but to imply he was playing well is a gross exaggeration! Honestly that is far from the worst issue this episode has.....like the sloppy final act!

20. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Does anyone else think Cured fell victim to rushed-ending-syndrome? I mean if I was Telford I'd shoot all the others and march Cat into Starbug at gunpoint. What's the point of this schtick where he tests Cat's loyalty. You don't need loyalty when you've got a gun.