RDXII EPISODE 1 - CURED - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Also Rimmer is invulnerable so I assume the fire part was about the pain more than anything, since I think he still feels pain. Which is a setting I'd switch off if I was invulnerable. And Telford's gun was similarly no threat to Rimmer.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I enjoyed it, despite not having a VPN anymore so having to watch it via a dodgy stream rather than with my UKTV Gold account. For that reason I can't really focus on the look but in terms of the story and comedy I thought it was a solid effort.
    While it seemed to have plot holes on first viewing, a second viewing this morning actually made me appreciate that Doug spent considerable effort (and valuable time) explaining nearly everything that he might have sloppily glossed over in the VIII-X days. Little touches like the sandstorm forcing the crew to spend extended time with the evils, the dinner being a necessary part of Telford's plan to drug them and the slow paced seemingly irrelevant first scene actually paying off at the end were nice touches. Even the convoluted explanation of where the evils came from was better than just saying "oh, it was a time travel device again".

It had an interesting philosophical premise that earlier Dwarf probably would have spent more time on but which still got a decent bit of musing here with Lister's conflicted feelings. There were also some funny jokes and visual gags (The staple gun being my favourite) although I felt that Craig, Robert and particularly Chris were a little off with their timing and that "starbug's thrusters" line needed a retake but I guess that's a problem with the editing/direction. In terms of performance it felt very much like a show where the actors were getting back into the swing of things which is odd given it was recorded mid-production. Perhaps just an off day?

Anyway, like I say I found it an enjoyable episode despite these minor niggles. I've long ago accepted that Red Dwarf will never reach the golden heights of its classic years again. I just want a show that feels like Red Dwarf. This felt like Red Dwarf. That's enough for me.

One last thing: Can anybody offer an explanation for Cat calling Rimmer 'Cincinnati'?
    It feels likes nobody, including the audience, who didn't laugh, got the joke.

3. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

I think it's a reference to a poker movie called The Cincinnati Kid, starring Steve McQueen.

There's also a variant of poker called "Cincinnati", but they don't seem to be playing it (I think they're playing Five Card Draw?).

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Still, it seems an odd thing for Cat to call Rimmer given his usual pattern of nicknames. I was googling references to an 'H' or tunnels that might resemble nostrils or something. Odd writing.

5. R.I.P. 2000

I actually think the way they talk to each other has changed over the years. They act more like a cohesive gang and there are fewer digs at each other (but still some). That was noticeable in XI too. I guess they've just got used to each other?

Some of the Rimmer-mocking from the classic run would feel out of place now. In fact, Cat's remarks about Rimmer being in the waste disposal chute felt slightly "off" - like they were trying to do a bit of classic-sounding dialogue, rather than reflecting the reality of current relationships - but it worked to set up the ending.

6. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Rimmer can be killed with guns, if aimed correctly at his lightbee.

7. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

I think it was mentioned that Lister was starting a study in "Fathers and Suns". also after all these years he should have gotten the hang of most things by now ...

8. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Everyone seems to be a masterclass at writing comedy judging by the past load of posts. What would Emmy award winning Doug Naylor know eh? :roll:

9. R.I.P. 2000

I think it was a bit rushed, but nowhere near as badly as two from RDXI. And I think one aspect of the rush job (Cat promptly shooting the villain without a second thought) was part of the point. So I'm not upset about the abruptness of it.

I do think the "fellow pyschopath" angle felt bit hokey though. Instead of insisting on shooting the others himself, perhaps Cat could've merely agreed and gone to stand with Telford. Then Telford could have gone to do something, leading to a bit of physical acting where he's clearly struggling to hold the gun and do it at the same time. Cat says "Allow me!" and Telford thoughtlessly hands him the gun.

10. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

I thought Cured was an amusing episode. There weren't too many laugh out loud moments for me with the exception of Hitler throwing the devil horns. Who knew Hitler was so metal?

There were smirks and smiles from me, but no belly laughs, but I will admit that the musical number has stuck with me for some reason.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

11. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I think the musical number was always going to get a marmite response from fans. I enjoyed it, but at the same time was thinking, 'Some people will hate this!'

12. Ant the Dragon

The best gag in the whole episode was the “ramp” joke! Bloody brilliant!!!!
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

13. R.I.P. 2000

But I found the follow-on line about the toilet
    redundant. I think one of Doug's quirks is
    overdoing jokes a bit. He'll have two lines in
    mind and go with both of them, instead of
    picking the funniest of the two and just using
    that. It's not terrible by any stretch, but it is
    one of the things I'd like to tighten up in the
    new run of Dwarf (which I like overall).

14. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Aye, that was classic Rimmer. That joke actually made me laugh out loud.

Ant the Dragon likes this.
  15. Ant the Dragon

See! We’ve always been the same! Practically brothers

Sammy Psycho likes this.
  16. Smelkus

Smelkus Skutter

It was established in The Inquisitor that Lister is more intelligent than he appears as that was the reason The Inquisitor deemed him unworthy of existance because he has intelligence that he never uses

17. Sammy Psycho

of course :-) Two Bro's is always better than 3 B's Muhahahah

18. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I really like that follow up line - "the big toilet with the fancy red cord" is exactly the kind of silly little detail Rimmer would get hung up on (not to mention miss the point of). It felt very in-character.

19. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

I didnt mind the cord line because at least three times in my life I have managed to pull that cord when sneaking in a disabled toilet. So they have a lot of meaning to me. Same reason I like that I.T Crowd episode.

20. Sammy Psycho

Listers' guitar playing aside, I do like the red and black striped Les Paul copy he is playing. 8-)