RDXII EPISODE 1 - CURED - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

2. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

Woohoo, still have my account :-)

I loved the new episode. So happy we're still getting new Dwarf.

3. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Excuse me

4. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

The ending made perfect sense to me. Think about it - if Starbug is Telford's only way off the station, he's got to have Cat help hm, so he's got to satisfy every one of Cat's requirements otherwise. He can threaten to shoot all he likes, but in the end he won't without being stranded. So, if Cat insists on being the one to kill the others, that's his best bet.

Pembers likes this.
  5. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Thought I’d try a one word review.

Next week I’m planning on using a two word one.

Hopefully “Not cack.”

6. KipperBreakfast

KipperBreakfast Skutter

I think I noticed a Smeg Up! Correct me if im wrong...
    The whole we need to turn left cos of the thruster thing, the working thruster was the right hand one which would push Starbug to the left so to counteract this they would have to be constantly turning to the right not the left, right? :-)

7. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Watch it again! I thought it was smeg then watched it a second time and it was a lot funnier.

8. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

It's not to counteract this, it's that they'd only be able to turn left at all.

9. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Modern Red Dwarf episodes just feel too short, like vignettes. Maybe it's because we traditionally watched them ad breaks.

10. dazza4783

dazza4783 Skutter

No, what they meant by that was they could only turn left. Turning to the right would counteract the thruster but only to go straight forward, they can't actually turn to the right.

11. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

They are actually longer in the Dave era which is sort of surprising. It's lucky enough to get a full 40 minute slot so by the time ad breaks have been included you get a full 29-30 minute episode.

Whereas I just checked Backwards in Series III and the run time is 27 minutes. Presumably because of the BBC continuity announcements/trailers etc. Ok, so it's only 2-3 minutes but that's better.

I'd like Doug to consider doing a longer episode, as a trial. So perhaps a 50 minute slot and a 40 minute broadcast or even 60/50. It would be interesting to see if we felt the pacing of the episodes was better with the extra time.

Obviously having to write 40-50 minute episodes might be Doug's worst nightmare. A special longer episode for the 30th anniversary year would be gazpacho-souper.

12. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Personally, I don't think the episodes need to be longer. I think they just need to be structured for 30 mins for the slot to work. Episodes of Peep Show are even shorter (24 mins in a 30 min slot for ads) and Friends is shorter still (22-23 mins). But they never feel rushed because they're crafted to be the size they are, and the key plot points are evenly spread.

I think the problem only arises when the pacing or ambition are wrong for the slot. An example of bad pacing would be if the first 20 mins felt like the first of three acts, and then the middle and end had to be squashed into the last third of the airtime. An example of overambition would be doing three plot strands and having to rush them all, rather than settling for two and doing both of them justice.

13. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Well, firstly, Red Dwarf's back!!! Been waiting ages for this, good grief!

Anyway, Cured... Just got through my first run of it on Dave. All in all, I enjoyed it. The episode did take some time to grow on me, I wasn't sold on it entirely by the first commercial break, but I enjoyed the story as it unfolded.

That said, comparing it to last year's opener I'd say Twentica has the better story, but I found Cured funnier, just about. Fingers crossed series XII will get better with each episode (we'll be in for a treat if that's the case).

Really enjoyed the Cat's characterisation in this episode. It was miles better than, say, Can of Worms. He was the highlight of the episode for me, particularly Danny John-Jules's acting in the final sequence. But the ending did feel a little rushed, like it was missing an extra scene or something like that. It's XI all over again!

For now, I'd give Cured a solid 6 out of 10. I might find it better in time, who knows (I will add I watched Twentica over the weekend and really enjoyed it, quite a lot more from my initial viewings of it). Roll on episode two!

Pembers likes this.
  14. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

Interesting extended trailer for asserted 12 just aired during break for Zapped. It was on in background whilst tapping away on my tablet. Cured was better 2nd time around though for me that's been true of series 10 & 11. Watched it last Friday downloaded from SKY and thought it was the worst epi of the Dave era which is an achievement after Can of a Worms but my opinion has changed. It was more drama than comedy, more smiles than laughs but enjoyed it much more.

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

That seems to be a thing with Dougs stories these days and i don't know why that is?

I mean look at an episode like Gunmen of the apocalypse its pretty impressive how well structured that story is so it feels alot longer then it actually is while doug modern stories doesn't seem to have an edit button and so everything feels rushed.

16. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

I loved it. Not quite as much as anything in Series XI but still great. Looking forward to the rest!!

Pembers likes this.
  17. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    Well I just watched it for the first time on BritBox and am not impressed. In the least. I'll watch it again for sure but as of now......... after one viewing ........ I think its the worst episode of Red Dwarf ever put to film. Period. I laughed more at/with BTE than this. I just finished re-watching XI to ...whet my appetite so to speak and can't believe this was recorded at the same time. The Starbug start up scene was pretty good, and the end was ok but everything else just seemed like filler to me. I sincerely hope XII gets better. I don't think Hitler, Stalin and the rest can ever be made "funny" and I think trying to make them funny is ......... bad judgement at the least and whitewashing at worst. I had not a single smile/laugh at any of the "evil" people's lines/actions. I hated the Hitler/Lister duet on more levels than I want to write about. I mean that word too, Hated. A low point for the show, imho of course. I think the Cat/Messalina bit had potential but was squandered. As a citizen of the United States I thought the "United America" bit was borderline insulting too. Overall I'd give this a half star out of ten.

18. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'm guessing he'd know that when nobody in the studio audience laughed at the joke and people are scratching their heads at it online, it probably missed the mark.

Incidentally. Here's something I wish I hadn't discovered: googling 'Rimmer Cincinnati' will give you at least one suggestion to the origin of this nickname that I absolutely hope wasn't Doug's intention!

19. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It was fairly by-the-numbers obvious satire but on the other hand....have you read your charge sheet of late? Whether you like it or not this is actually how a large proportion of the world views the USA. Surely this isn't lost on you? Various presidents declaring various wars on abstract concepts inevitably led to the "war on war" concept.

As for your other point, I read a review of a Preacher episode recently that said something like "we don't need a redemption arc for Hitler" and indeed this is true...which is exactly why, I'd imagine, that the ending made it clear that this wasn't one. This WASN'T Hitler in exactly the same way that in Lemons it WASN'T Jesus. That said what cured explored was an interesting philosophical Dwarfy kind of theme: could these be people you could get along if they weren't homicidal maniacs.

"Provided you avoid politics they're an absolute hoot" as someone once said. Of course this is an extreme played for laughs but it's an interesting point. It's entirely possible to get along with people whose private and personal views would make you shudder. I had no problem with the way this was written as both Lister and (surprisingly) Rimmer felt this shudder and "what are we doing" moment throughout.

20. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    No, I'm well aware of how some people around the world view the United States. I'm not one of the ignorant hillbillies that we are so often portrayed as being. Actually I was going to say something along those lines in my last post but omitted it for brevity and because I didn't think it germane to my OPINION.

First, you really ought to read the Preacher graphic novels, much better than the show.
    No, it might NOT have been the actual "Hitler" who jammed with Dave, but it was a conceptual "Hitler" made "better" and more "human", sanitized as it were. You only have to look at the rise of nationalist groups both in Europe AND America to see what normalizing fascist thinking can give rise to.
    As a very quick aside, I must say that Mr. Naylor's ongoing and continued use of far right imagery (KKK patches, confederate flag patches, and multiple usage of Mr. Hitler) is starting to worry me.
    Philosophical implications/themes aside at its heart Red Dwarf was and IS a comedy and to me this episode was just not very funny. When I want to engage in abstract philosophy I don't tune in to "Are you being Served" but look to hard news and opinion sites. Conversely, when I want to laugh I don't turn on PBS or the BBC news.